Number Of #3 Reps To Close The #3.5?

Jordan Rechsteiner

Heres a simple question: How many reps on the #3 does it take to close the #3.5 once? My best from parallel with the #3.5 is down to 1/8" so far I am hoping to close it after I post this, I'll let you know. Yes, my question is flawed. We are all different, but how many closes on the #3 does it take some one on the average to close the #3.5? I can do 5 reps with my #3 and even grind the handles a few times.

-Jordan

There is no answer to this as reps have nothing to do with max closes. Even if you ask how many reps could we do on #3 when we first closed #3.5, it's still going to vary massively simply on the fact that the individuals #3/#3.5 will always vary from the next.

There is no answer to this as reps have nothing to do with max closes. Even if you ask how many reps could we do on #3 when we first closed #3.5, it's still going to vary massively simply on the fact that the individuals #3/#3.5 will always vary from the next.

Thats why I said "Yes, the question is flawed. We are all different." I don't think that reps have nothing to do with maximum closes. I was closing the #1 x20 reps a few years ago when I ordered my #2 and closed it straight out of the package. Certainly when I first got that #1 I wouldn't have been able to close the #2. So I don't see your point of view here, Paul. Thank you for weighing in though. :) BTW how are you doing with the #3.5? Have you closed it yet? I read your training log but I have a hard time finding where the gripper portion is.

-Jordan

Thats why I said "Yes, the question is flawed. We are all different." I don't think that reps have nothing to do with maximum closes. I was closing the #1 x20 reps a few years ago when I ordered my #2 and closed it straight out of the package. Certainly when I first got that #1 I wouldn't have been able to close the #2. So I don't see your point of view here, Paul. Thank you for weighing in though. :) BTW how are you doing with the #3.5? Have you closed it yet? I read your training log but I have a hard time finding where the gripper portion is.

-Jordan

Read closer, he has CCS a #4. Although he will tell you it is an "easy" #4 that is between a #3.5 and #4

Edit: it is post #64 in his log. There is video. Also, it is CCS width, but there is no credit card in the video. He also reps the #4.

Edited by jchap

-Jordan

Read closer, he has CCS a #4. Although he will tell you it is an "easy" #4 that is between a #3.5 and #4

WHAT? No way! Really? I had seen him close the #3 with a deep set a few months ago. I had no idea that he is CCS closing a #4??!!! Paul I'm sorry if I impuned you there man. I'd have never guessed you were that far along. Man, I really need to step it up to be the next guy to certify the #4; Paul's is apparently way ahead of me. Congradulations Paul.

-Jordan

I am not sure about the deep three close. But few years back when Paul met for the first time with Steve a millinium lifter and a forth closer Paul was doing better than Steve in grippers.

^

When I first MMS closed my 3.5 I was doing a lot of MMS rep training for DH's records forum and was getting I think 8-9 reps on my #3 with a 20mm block set. Lately I haven't been doing much as far as reps and am only getting around 6-7 with my #3 yet I can now close my 3.5 with a 20mm block set which I could NOT do back when I was doing MORE reps with my #3.

I am not sure about the deep three close. But few years back when Paul met for the first time with Steve a millinium lifter and a forth closer Paul was doing better than Steve in grippers.

Wow, I am astonished. I thought he was doing the journey from not yet being able to close a #3. I didn't realize that Paul Savage was such a serious guy with grippers. Thats awesome. Well I hope to be able to certify sometime next year on the #4. It looks like I will have to seriously step my game up to being the first guy to do the #4 under the new rules. There are more people than I think many realize that are in the money for this.

-Jordan

When I first MMS closed my 3.5 I was doing a lot of MMS rep training for DH's records forum and was getting I think 8-9 reps on my #3 with a 20mm block set. Lately I haven't been doing much as far as reps and am only getting around 6-7 with my #3 yet I can now close my 3.5 with a 20mm block set which I could NOT do back when I was doing MORE reps with my #3.

Now thats about what I figured 8-9 reps for me. I would be able to easily close the #3.5 by then. Since I am at the point where I can start choker work with my #4 without tearing up my hand, I think my progress will blast forward in a big way soon.

Now thats about what I figured 8-9 reps for me. I would be able to easily close the #3.5 by then. Since I am at the point where I can start choker work with my #4 without tearing up my hand, I think my progress will blast forward in a big way soon.

Jordan, have you seen this video:

, the guy certed on the 3.5 and then came very close to certing on the #4 right after in the video. My money is on him being the next

, the guy certed on the 3.5 and then came very close to certing on the #4 right after in the video. My money is on him being the next

Yes, I know know Ioan Cristian Puscasu is. Well I think I will get it before he does because I haven't heard anything about him training for it lately. My training is on a roll right now. He is great but I am going to be better...someday.

-Jordan

Yes, I know know Ioan Cristian Puscasu is. Well I think I will get it before he does because I haven't heard anything about him training for it lately. My training is on a roll right now. He is great but I am going to be better...someday.

-Jordan

Don't take the post the wrong way man. I didn't mean to offend you. His friend posted the video recently and said hes still working on it. I mean hes like 1/8 of an inch away.

Oh Chez, I am not offended at all. :) If you ever offend me I will let you know directly. But I like to assume the positive and it has lead to me not being offended easily.

-Jorda

Good stuff man. best of luck in your training.

Hey, posted this on another thread which Im having trouble finding again and don't know if any others saw it either. Hopefully Jordan can see it in this thread, and the post on the other thread can be removed.

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

snapback.pngJordan Rechsteiner, on 30 November 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

This is a non-sequitor, because the feat that I am going to do in 2012 has never been done before. I plan on being the first man to certify the Ironmind Captians of Crush #4 gripper with the new rules which call for a new, unaltered #4 and a CCS. Therefore, I can't consider any feat of grip strength as elite because I am going to do what has not ever been done. Then, I am going to close a gripper which has never been closed with any kind of set and that will be the "Elite" grip feat. :)

-Jordan

Jordan, I think your positive attitude is good in that you aren't setting up any limits mentally. I don't want to come off as a downer, but there are a few questions/statements I wanted to address.

First, you keep mentioning you plan to be the first Coc #4 under the new rules. I think you should remember/understand that being the first is nearly completely out of your control, since you can't determine what other guys out there will do. We all saw how close Ioan got with his attempt, and know all the guys certed at #3.5 all have incredible ability. Do you expect them to stop progressing? Also, again I hate to sound rude but I sincerely am curious- what makes you think you have the ability to not only cert the #4 but grippers even harder? People don't just decide "I will be a world record holder etc."

Finally, with grip feats like Garbiel TNSing a #3 16 times, Paul short repping a #3 40 times (and I recall hearing Ioan reps the 3.5 at short range many many times), and Tim Struse making reps on the #4 look easier that your reps on a #3 (dont get me wrong the #3 is no joke!)- What makes you think you will overtake these guys or beat them to a #4 cert when they have been at it for a while too?

I do hope you close all the big grippers you are shooting for. I'm just curious since these are big claims of the sort I haven't really seen even from the best.

Hey, posted this on another thread which Im having trouble finding again and don't know if any others saw it either. Hopefully Jordan can see it in this thread, and the post on the other thread can be removed.

Posted Today, 11:05 AM

snapback.pngJordan Rechsteiner, on 30 November 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

This is a non-sequitor, because the feat that I am going to do in 2012 has never been done before. I plan on being the first man to certify the Ironmind Captians of Crush #4 gripper with the new rules which call for a new, unaltered #4 and a CCS. Therefore, I can't consider any feat of grip strength as elite because I am going to do what has not ever been done. Then, I am going to close a gripper which has never been closed with any kind of set and that will be the "Elite" grip feat. :)

-Jordan

Jordan, I think your positive attitude is good in that you aren't setting up any limits mentally. I don't want to come off as a downer, but there are a few questions/statements I wanted to address.

First, you keep mentioning you plan to be the first Coc #4 under the new rules. I think you should remember/understand that being the first is nearly completely out of your control, since you can't determine what other guys out there will do. We all saw how close Ioan got with his attempt, and know all the guys certed at #3.5 all have incredible ability. Do you expect them to stop progressing? Also, again I hate to sound rude but I sincerely am curious- what makes you think you have the ability to not only cert the #4 but grippers even harder? People don't just decide "I will be a world record holder etc."

Finally, with grip feats like Garbiel TNSing a #3 16 times, Paul short repping a #3 40 times (and I recall hearing Ioan reps the 3.5 at short range many many times), and Tim Struse making reps on the #4 look easier that your reps on a #3 (dont get me wrong the #3 is no joke!)- What makes you think you will overtake these guys or beat them to a #4 cert when they have been at it for a while too?

I do hope you close all the big grippers you are shooting for. I'm just curious since these are big claims of the sort I haven't really seen even from the best.

Those are awesome questions sir thank you. Yes, being the first is out of my control, but some experts in the field I have spoken to assure me no one is even close to that level yet so I have some breathing room. Why do I think I will overtake these guys. Wow...this is a dangerous question to answer. There are many guys who are much stronger and much more experienced than I am. My strengths are innovation/obsession. Perhaps my greatest talent in this game is to break down everything I am doing into the smallest possible quanta that I can and isolate what is weak on my hand and think up ways to condition it. Why did I fail? How can I strengthen my close for the next time? Ok I did this right and met my goal, but what could I do better? I don't allow my successes to carry me-even in the moment. My finish is ultra strong and I am now building it up to the MMS range where I am weaker. Everyone really successful has found their niche in this sport and I have found mine for training. It apparently works only for me, and the results are astounding. Every week I make PRs I actually make PRs even if I work out every other day, today I came within 1/16" of closing the #3.5, a few days ago it was 1/8" and the workout before that it was 1/2". So thursday or saturday will see my next goal being crossed off my list. The gap between the #3.5 and the #4 is even bigger than the gap between the #3 and the #3.5, but I will get it. I get a lot of doubt from other people and that fuels my fire all the more. Everything becomes positive. There are so many things that I could be doing now to improve my game that I am not doing because thats not the phase of the close I am on. In other words, I have plenty of rapid gains to be made elsewhere in the sweep. On January 28th I plan to certify the #3 and #3.5 CoC. So I am positive the journey to the #4 will end in victory before my birthday in September. The RB 400 and the BB pro are because when I certify the #4, I will certainly be stronger in the parallel with an even greater gripper. :) Maybe they sound like outrageous claims. Well I don't want to make a goal out of anything easy. None of my goals are easy. Grippers are my calling and I will answer. Hope that answers your questions.

-Jordan

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1238

Where's your #3 reps Russ? ;)

I haven't done #3 reps on video yet.

I know, I was just pulling your leg man! :)

I figured as much. I tried to get video of the #3 for reps but every time something happened; camera died, tripod tipped over and my pinkie slipped off at rep 6...all in a 3 day period so I got fed up and haven't done a gripper video since. I'll give it another try in January after this months choker experiment is over.