Minneapolis Frostbite Grip Challenge, 25 Feb 2012

AdamTGlass

My next grip contest I am hosting, see details below.

Date- 25 Feb 2012 (Saturday)

Location: Movement Minneapolis, 2075 East Center Circle, Plymouth MN 55441 (about 10 minutes West of Downtown MN, 20 minutes from the MSP Airport)

Show time is 0930 for a 1030 start time

We will have three classes, men's open (200 lbs and up) men's light weight (199 and under) and women's open.

Events

Iron Mind Rolling Thunder deadlift, 4 attempts maximum weight.

Bear Hug Deadlift, 4 attempts, maximum weight.

Gripper for reps event. This will be done the exact same way as the Fall Grip Decathlon. 3 grippers will be selected. each gripper will be worth a point value. Closes will be done with a setting block. This was a very popular event last go.

Medley #1 - Maximum strength feats. Things to expect- Qualifying events for US Grip nationals set at qualifying weights (will post weights soon) along with some more unusual grip events. Will feature blob loading, hammers, about 11 types of deadlift, Kettlebell challenges, and even a few body weight movements.

Medley #2 - Endurance feats. Things to expect A fat bar lift and hold for a time standard (likely 3" bar for time, probably 100-135 lbs), a hang for time standard (will be either SG Gripballs or manila ropes), a pinch hold for time standard (either off the Euro or the SG Pinch hooks), a gripper for reps standard (maybe a COC Trainer with CCS or 30 mm block), and finally a farmers walk challenge finisher (likely Rolling Thunder attached to two KBS) The endurance medley will be scored as a mini contest in points- so the total contest is worth 900 points, with 400 points being set in the endurance side. I believe this will make it VERY interesting, the decathlon grip really started getting neck and neck once the technical grip events were aside and the GUTS events got going.

Additional details will be coming soon.

Also Jedd- can I get a sanction for this as a NAGSA event for the 2012 calendar?

Edited by SSGGLASS

Any reason you are going with a 199-lb weight class for the light weights instead of 82.5-kg?

Any reason you are going with a 199-lb weight class for the light weights instead of 82.5-kg?

Primarily due to the member size averages. I have 11 guys who will be competing who are between 183-195, only three who will come in under 181. The next average size is 220- maybe 5-7 guys at that weight, then 3-4 guys over 265. If I can get more individuals who know they will be in at 82.5kg i will run a three classes for men- 82.5kg, mens open, mens heavy weight (over 215) but I want at least 5-6 guys per class to do that. I am not married to any particular scheme for classing people, I just want to make it fun for all involved. I suppose a third option is 82.5kg, open, and Mathison Vs. Glass :grin:

I will weigh in all competitors using my calibrated scale, and designate individuals who come in under the established 82.5 kg limit.

The only even there which would feature "records" for would be RT, and none of us will be lifting more than 301 lbs. The exception would be if we are going to keep the BHDL as a NAGSA competition lift, and then I think this would be the meet to establish initial records for the USA.

I will call you this week to go over the events if you have any further questions.

I will weigh in all competitors using my calibrated scale, and designate individuals who come in under the established 82.5 kg limit.

Sounds good. I think recording athlete's weights day of comp is a good way to handle it.

The amount of records I want to keep far surpasses the time I have to dedicate to them. So please feel free to keep the records on your laptop and backed up until I either get more freedom to work on the Grip Sport site or get volunteers to take over roles.

Incidentally, as far as weight classes and divisions at a comp go, I can see that being up to the promoter to decide. IMO, the mor epeople getting rewarded at a comp the better, however, for the sake of records lists, we will stay to the regular standard of 82.5-kilo and below, above, and Elite for right now on that page.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Date/Time- 25 Feb 2012 (Saturday) Show time 0930 for registration/weigh in. Lifting will begin NLT 1030. Contest is expected to go until 230 PM.

Location: Movement Minneapolis, 2075 East Center Circle, Plymouth MN 55441 (about 10 minutes West of Downtown MN, 20 minutes from the MSP Airport)

Events

Iron Mind Rolling Thunder deadlift, 4 attempts, maximum weight. Contestants will use the Ironmind Rolling thunder apparatus and will have 4 attempts to lift maximum weight in the single hand lift. The Rolling Thunder handle is 2.35" in diameter and has a slippery plastic sleeve which spins when you try to lift it.

Note: A lifting belt is permitted for those who wish to wear it for the RT lift.

Bear Hug Deadlift, 4 attempts, maximum weight. Contestants will attempt to lift stacks of lifting discs by hugging the sides of the plates and lifting them until the cross bar passes the height of the knees. This lift tests the power of the fingers, wrist, and arms strongly along with the upper back and hips. All men's classes will lift using 45 lbs plates as base diameter, women's class will lift with 25 lbs plates. An exception will be made for individuals who are unable to lift 155 lbs, in this event we will load the apparatus with 35 lbs plates until they attempt heavier than 155.

Note: The base plates will be two 65 mm cap plates, and the outside base will be two slotted Weider 45's. I have tested all the 45's I have in the building and this combination will allow contestants the best lifting set up.

A few people asked about the safety of this lift. I have had a number of clients try it recently, and no one who did found any problems with it. Please see a video of the Range of motion for the lift, it is actually not very far, even for tall people. It is most likely a case where your grip will fail FAR before your back does.

A lifting belt is permitted for the bearhug DL. No support equipment is to be worn from the shoulder down. Tacky is specifically forbidden. Chalk will be provided by the gym.

Gripper for reps event. This will be done the exact same way as the Movement Minneapolis 2011 Fall Grip Decathlon. 3 grippers will be selected. each gripper will be worth a point value. Closes will be done with a 20 mm setting block. There will be at least a 9 lbs difference in each gripper. The hardest of the three will be worth 5 points per close. The second hardest will be worth 3 points per close. The easy gripper will be worth 1 point. Contestants will be permitted at least a 5 minute rest period in between attempts, which they can waive at any time.

Right now I am thinking of the following set up for gripper for reps

82.5kg and 214 class - COC #2.5 - (128#), Atomgripz Triple Band (118#), Atomgripz Double Band (82#)

Open Class BBSM (136#) COC #2 (118#) COC #1 (86#)

This may change depending on which contestants are here.

Medley #1 - Maximum strength feats. Things to expect- Qualifying events for US Grip nationals set at qualifying weights:

1″ Vertical Bar – 325

2″ FBBC Vertical Bar – 200

Gripper – Close Level 13 Gold on the Vulcan or 150# Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set

Wrist Developer Level 5 Gold

IronMind Axle Deadlift – 325

Euro Two Hands Pinch – 200

One Hand Deadlift on Olympic / Powerlifting Bar – 250

50-lb Blob to Lockout

Rolling Thunder – 180

Two 45’s Pinch to Lockout

Inch Dumbbell to lockout

Additional Challenges

MMS Grippers - 182.5 lbs COC 3.5, 175 lbs BB MMR 4, 168 lbs BB Elite, 155 lbs COC 3, (need something in 140 ish range Cannon?) 136 lbs BB SM.

Dinnie Stone trainers, total weight will be between 560-600 lbs (4-6 " lockout ROM)

75mm X 75mm Saxon bar DL 160-190 lbs

Bottoms up clean and press with kettlebells 24kg, 32kg, 40kg

Plate curl 15kg shorty plate, 35 lbs plate, 20kg plate

Hammer lever 16 lbs, 22 lbs

Blob and block weight lifts (up to 54# York clone / 52 lbs half of 100 hex)

Hex DB vertical lifts from the cap 45, 60, 75

Hex DB two hand pinch lift 80, 90, 100

Bear Hug Chin Up from a competition KB

SG Gripballs Chin Up from PU bar

Double Inch DL using replica handles, and two true weight replicas

Medley #2 - Endurance feats. This will be a 4 event medley, unlike other medleys it will have all timed events.

Start - Two Hand pinch lift and hold for maximum time. Contestants will lift the Standard European Pinch Lifting Apparatus and hold it while standing fully erect for maximum time. Lift is terminated when any part of the apparatus touches the floor, or if the contestant leans the apparatus against their body in order to gain an advantage over it.

Weight will be 65 lbs for Women's class, 80 lbs for 82.5 kg, 90 for 214 class, 100 for open.

60 second break

- Hang from the ropes, maximum time. Contestants will hang from a pair of manila climbing ropes. Clock stops when any part of your body touches the floor.

60 second break

- Gripper for reps, 30 mm setting block. Contestants will use a light gripper (likely a 55 lbs COC trainer) and attempt to successfully close the gripper for maximum repetitions

60 second break

- Farmers hold with 3" dumbbells. Contestants will deadlift and hold two 3" dumbbells for maximum time. Women's class will use two 2.35" Inch replica handles.

Womens weight will be 50 lbs per hand.

82.5 kg will be 65 per hand (3" bell) 214 class will be 80, open will be 105 per hand

Classes. We will feature 4 classes, based on body weight and gender. Men's 82.5 kg class, Men's 97kg class, Men's open, and women's class.

Uniform and equipment. Contestants are asked to wear a clean T-Shirt or sweat shirt and athletic shorts or pants. Contestants will be required to bring clean footwear or may lift barefoot. A lifting belt is permitted for the Rolling thunder, bearhug deadlift, and the strength medley. No other support equipment is allowed if it provides an advantage to the hands, wrist, or forearms. Chalk will be provided by Movement Minneapolis, all other types are specifically forbidden.

Scoring. This contest is a sanctioned North American Grip Sport Association (NASGA) meet and will be scored with the official scoring system. The best score in each event will be worth 100 points. All other lifts are scored according to that lift and receive points based upon that percentage. Details are posted on the NAGSA website. www.gripsport.org

The total score will be out of 800 points. Rolling thunder, Bearhug deadlift, Grippers for reps, and Medley #1 will be worth 100 points each. Medley #2 will be worth 400 total points, each of the 4 events will be 100 points each.

Qualification and Ranking. The strength medley will feature a number of challenges which qualify a lifter for the 2012 US Grip Nationals, held in Wooster OH in May 2012. To qualify a lifter can lift 2 of the qualifying events. Additionally this meet will feature the double overhand axle, calibrated torsion spring grippers and two hand pinch lift in the medley. If these numbers are better than your previous bests they will be counted towards your three lift total of Gripper+Pinch+Axle. An 800 lbs total earns a lifter Elite status for future competitions. Finally a top three finish qualifies you for US Grip Nationals.

Registration details. Contestants are requested to be at the gym NLT 1000 to sign waivers, get weighed, and pay the $15 dollar registration fee.

Additional details. Movement Minneapolis will provide bottle water for all contestants. We will have some snacks on hand, all contestants are encouraged to bring food items with them in the event they need more fuel.

I would like to thank my sponsor StrongerGrip for providing prizes and equipment for the events.

This event will be a great time for you to come out and compete with some really fun people. We have had a blast in the last few events and it has been exciting to watch athletes continue to improve. Grip contests allow you to compete in a friendly sport without risk of serious injury to the back, neck, shoulders, or hips. Many people who find they are unable to lift in other sports are able to complete the majority of grip contests pain free. Most of the lifts off the floor are partial ranges of motion, and point of failure is always the hands rather than the back. I strongly encourage you to come out and give it your best.

Additionally, I would appreciate having 2-3 people to function as score keepers/refs and help handle the classes as they navigate the contest. If you are interested in assisting me please email AdamTGlass00@Gmail.com or text.

Projected roster for the contest

Adam Glass Open

Chris Mathison Open (not confirmed)

Matt Cannon 82.5 kg (not confirmed)

Matt Brouse Open (LONG SHOT, come out dude :shutup:

Ben Edwards 97kg (not confirmed)

Mike Sheehan Open

Mike T Nelson Open

Ryan Maier Open

Ryan Pitts 82.5 kg

Brad Ellingson 97kg

Nick Oswald 82.5 kg

Cliff Hanson Open

James Neidlinger 82.5 kg

Nick Saari 82.5 kg

Dustin Williams 82.5 kg

David Dellanave 97 kg

Dave Sandel 82.5 kg

Robert Lorch 97kg

Joel Davidson 97 kg

Josh Freeman 82.5 kg

Jen Sinkler

Kathi Burger

Lyndsy Gumz

Jodie Nelson

Erika Mundinger

Edited by SSGGLASS

Date/Time- 25 Feb 2012 (Saturday) Show time 0930 for registration/weigh in. Lifting will begin NLT 1030. Contest is expected to go until 230 PM.

Events

Iron Mind Rolling Thunder deadlift, 4 attempts, maximum weight. Contestants will use the Ironmind Rolling thunder apparatus and will have 4 attempts to lift maximum weight in the single hand lift. The Rolling Thunder handle is 2.35" in diameter and has a slippery plastic sleeve which spins when you try to lift it.

Note: A lifting belt is permitted for those who wish to wear it for the RT lift.

Bear Hug Deadlift, 4 attempts, maximum weight. Contestants will attempt to lift stacks of lifting discs by hugging the sides of the plates and lifting them until the cross bar passes the height of the knees. This lift tests the power of the fingers, wrist, and arms strongly along with the upper back and hips. All men's classes will lift using 45 lbs plates as base diameter, women's class will lift with 25 lbs plates. An exception will be made for individuals who are unable to lift 155 lbs, in this event we will load the apparatus with 35 lbs plates until they attempt heavier than 155.

Note: The base plates will be two 65 mm cap plates, and the outside base will be two slotted Weider 45's. I have tested all the 45's I have in the building and this combination will allow contestants the best lifting set up.

A few people asked about the safety of this lift. I have had a number of clients try it recently, and no one who did found any problems with it. Please see a video of the Range of motion for the lift, it is actually not very far, even for tall people. It is most likely a case where your grip will fail FAR before your back does.

A lifting belt is permitted for the bearhug DL. No support equipment is to be worn from the shoulder down. Tacky is specifically forbidden. Chalk will be provided by the gym.

Gripper for reps event. This will be done the exact same way as the Movement Minneapolis 2011 Fall Grip Decathlon. 3 grippers will be selected. each gripper will be worth a point value. Closes will be done with a 20 mm setting block. There will be at least a 9 lbs difference in each gripper. The hardest of the three will be worth 5 points per close. The second hardest will be worth 3 points per close. The easy gripper will be worth 1 point. Contestants will be permitted at least a 5 minute rest period in between attempts, which they can waive at any time.

Right now I am thinking of the following set up for gripper for reps

82.5kg and 214 class - COC #2.5 - (128#), Atomgripz Triple Band (118#), Atomgripz Double Band (82#)

Open Class BBSM (136#) COC #2 (118#) COC #1 (86#)

This may change depending on which contestants are here.

Medley #1 - Maximum strength feats. Things to expect- Qualifying events for US Grip nationals set at qualifying weights:

1″ Vertical Bar – 325

2″ FBBC Vertical Bar – 200

Gripper – Close Level 13 Gold on the Vulcan or 150# Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set

Wrist Developer Level 5 Gold

IronMind Axle Deadlift – 325

Euro Two Hands Pinch – 200

One Hand Deadlift on Olympic / Powerlifting Bar – 250

50-lb Blob to Lockout

Rolling Thunder – 180

Two 45’s Pinch to Lockout

Inch Dumbbell to lockout

Additional Challenges

MMS Grippers - 182.5 lbs COC 3.5, 175 lbs BB MMR 4, 168 lbs BB Elite, 155 lbs COC 3, (need something in 140 ish range Cannon?) 136 lbs BB SM.

Dinnie Stone trainers, total weight will be between 560-600 lbs (4-6 " lockout ROM)

75mm X 75mm Saxon bar DL 160-190 lbs

Bottoms up clean and press with kettlebells 24kg, 32kg, 40kg

Plate curl 15kg shorty plate, 35 lbs plate, 20kg plate

Hammer lever 16 lbs, 22 lbs

Blob and block weight lifts (up to 54# York clone / 52 lbs half of 100 hex)

Hex DB vertical lifts from the cap 45, 60, 75

Hex DB two hand pinch lift 80, 90, 100

Bear Hug Chin Up from a competition KB

SG Gripballs Chin Up from PU bar

Double Inch DL using replica handles, and two true weight replicas

Medley #2 - Endurance feats. This will be a 4 event medley, unlike other medleys it will have all timed events.

Start - Two Hand pinch lift and hold for maximum time. Contestants will lift the Standard European Pinch Lifting Apparatus and hold it while standing fully erect for maximum time. Lift is terminated when any part of the apparatus touches the floor, or if the contestant leans the apparatus against their body in order to gain an advantage over it.

Weight will be 65 lbs for Women's class, 80 lbs for 82.5 kg, 90 for 214 class, 100 for open.

60 second break

- Hang from the ropes, maximum time. Contestants will hang from a pair of manila climbing ropes. Clock stops when any part of your body touches the floor.

60 second break

- Gripper for reps, 30 mm setting block. Contestants will use a light gripper (likely a 55 lbs COC trainer) and attempt to successfully close the gripper for maximum repetitions

60 second break

- Farmers hold with 3" dumbbells. Contestants will deadlift and hold two 3" dumbbells for maximum time. Women's class will use two 2.35" Inch replica handles.

Womens weight will be 50 lbs per hand.

82.5 kg will be 65 per hand (3" bell) 214 class will be 80, open will be 105 per hand

Classes. We will feature 4 classes, based on body weight and gender. Men's 82.5 kg class, Men's 97kg class, Men's open, and women's class.

Uniform and equipment. Contestants are asked to wear a clean T-Shirt or sweat shirt and athletic shorts or pants. Contestants will be required to bring clean footwear or may lift barefoot. A lifting belt is permitted for the Rolling thunder, bearhug deadlift, and the strength medley. No other support equipment is allowed if it provides an advantage to the hands, wrist, or forearms. Chalk will be provided by Movement Minneapolis, all other types are specifically forbidden.

Scoring. This contest is a sanctioned North American Grip Sport Association (NASGA) meet and will be scored with the official scoring system. The best score in each event will be worth 100 points. All other lifts are scored according to that lift and receive points based upon that percentage. Details are posted on the NAGSA website. www.gripsport.org

The total score will be out of 800 points. Rolling thunder, Bearhug deadlift, Grippers for reps, and Medley #1 will be worth 100 points each. Medley #2 will be worth 400 total points, each of the 4 events will be 100 points each.

Qualification and Ranking. The strength medley will feature a number of challenges which qualify a lifter for the 2012 US Grip Nationals, held in Wooster OH in May 2012. To qualify a lifter can lift 2 of the qualifying events. Additionally this meet will feature the double overhand axle, calibrated torsion spring grippers and two hand pinch lift in the medley. If these numbers are better than your previous bests they will be counted towards your three lift total of Gripper+Pinch+Axle. An 800 lbs total earns a lifter Elite status for future competitions. Finally a top three finish qualifies you for US Grip Nationals.

Registration details. Contestants are requested to be at the gym NLT 1000 to sign waivers, get weighed, and pay the $15 dollar registration fee.

Additional details. Movement Minneapolis will provide bottle water for all contestants. We will have some snacks on hand, all contestants are encouraged to bring food items with them in the event they need more fuel.

I would like to thank my sponsor StrongerGrip for providing prizes and equipment for the events.

This event will be a great time for you to come out and compete with some really fun people. We have had a blast in the last few events and it has been exciting to watch athletes continue to improve. Grip contests allow you to compete in a friendly sport without risk of serious injury to the back, neck, shoulders, or hips. Many people who find they are unable to lift in other sports are able to complete the majority of grip contests pain free. Most of the lifts off the floor are partial ranges of motion, and point of failure is always the hands rather than the back. I strongly encourage you to come out and give it your best.

Additionally, I would appreciate having 2-3 people to function as score keepers/refs and help handle the classes as they navigate the contest. If you are interested in assisting me please email AdamTGlass00@Gmail.com or text.

Projected roster for the contest

Adam Glass Open

Chris Mathison Open (not confirmed)

Matt Cannon 82.5 kg (not confirmed)

Matt Brouse Open (LONG SHOT, come out dude :shutup:

Ben Edwards 97kg (not confirmed)

Mike T Nelson Open

Ryan Maier Open

Ryan Pitts 82.5 kg

Brad Ellingson 97kg

Nick Oswald 82.5 kg

Cliff Hanson Open

James Neidlinger 82.5 kg

Nick Saari 82.5 kg

Dustin Williams 82.5 kg

David Dellanave 97 kg

Dave Sandel 82.5 kg

Robert Lorch 97kg

Joel Davidson 97 kg

Josh Freeman 82.5 kg

Jen Sinkler

Kathi Burger

Lyndsy Gumz

Jodie Nelson

Erika Mundinger

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a deadline for entry?

Is there a deadline for entry?

I don't want to speak for Adam, but I feel like I know what he would say.

No deadline. Come if you possibly can! ....and bring someone. The more the merrier.

I will not be attending Adam. Wish I could man. I saw that my name was listed under not confirmed still.

Please put me down as confirmed Adam. So happy to be able to make it.

Shane- come on out. No deadline.

Ben, I totally understand given the distance.

Matt- I do not understand, given the distance :glare:

Big Chris- i'm really glad you're coming out.

Any one else? I know there are at least 10 GB members who live in Minneapolis or St Paul. Any of you up to come out and throw down? It's a lot of fun.

At least list me as a long shot. I just can't say for sure I can make this one right this second.

I PM'd all the local guys I know and encouraged them to come.

At least list me as a long shot. I just can't say for sure I can make this one right this second.

I PM'd all the local guys I know and encouraged them to come.

come out if you can Matt and beat me again.

• 4 weeks later...

Adam- Please add me to your roster. I'm 99% sure I can make it work, the 1% depends on SD weather. Todd Larson Open. Thank you and looks to be a great comp!

Damn. Just found out its my in-laws wedding anniversary. Eff me.

I've been looking forward to qualifying for nationals at this event.

Damn. Just found out its my in-laws wedding anniversary. Eff me. I've been looking forward to qualifying for nationals at this event.

What is there a party or something?

I am now fairly certain I will make this contest. Although I have not trained the events :huh:

Adam- Please add me to your roster. I'm 99% sure I can make it work, the 1% depends on SD weather. Todd Larson Open. Thank you and looks to be a great comp!

Looking forward to having you out! The driving conditions seem to be in your favor as well. You will be glad you made it out

Damn. Just found out its my in-laws wedding anniversary. Eff me. I've been looking forward to qualifying for nationals at this event.

What is there a party or something?

I am now fairly certain I will make this contest. Although I have not trained the events :huh:

Glad you are to be here Matt. The only event which will completely catch you by surprise is the bearhug lift. You will rock with the gripper for reps and endurance tests

Adam,

Two questions about medley #1 which will include the Nationals qualifying weights:

1) For the 1 hand olympic bar lift of 250#, can you straddle the bar?

2) If I know I cannot lift 200# on the 2HP, can I forego a point in the medley to have it set at a lower weight so that I can have a chance of logging a legit 2HP lift in a contest setting for 74k record tracking and/or % of BW tracking? Since 2HP is not being contested otherwise?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Top three, I'll put up all scores shortly

82.5 kg

1st Ryan Pitts

2nd Matt Cannon

3rd Josh Freeman

100 kg

1st David Dellanave

2nd Joe Goodin

3rd Lance Knorr

Open

1st Adam Glass

2nd Chris Mathison

3rd Mike Sheehan

Ryan killed me on the bear hug and RT. I finally matched him in the feats medley! I'm used to giving a lot of ground to him there. The endurance medley was very close and I got him on the endurance gripper event. Grueling contest! High difficulty all around.

Thanks to MovementMN, strongergrip, and Chris Rice. Great sponsors.

And the trophies are INSANE. Literally works of art.

Ryan killed me on the bear hug and RT. I finally matched him in the feats medley! The endurance medley was goose and I got him on the endurance gripper event. Grueling contest! High difficulty all around.

Thanks to MovementMN, strongergrip, and Chris Rice. Great sponsors.

And the trophies are INSANE. Literally works of art.

Matt Can you post a pic of your trophy here? I do not know how to load photos.

When Kelly gets the file to me I will post up all the action shots she took today