Are You Trying To Do It All ?

OldGuy

At one time I tried to do just about every grip freat. In the same workout I would pinch plates, a 3'' block, lift the RT and Inch loadable, and then do heavy suitcase lifts with a curl bar. At other times grippers wrist rollers and other grip work. Now I have learned to concentrate on one thing which for now is grippers. Once in a while I still do other things. Are some of you trying to do it all?

Guest Mikael Siversson

Sounds like a normal regular workout to me (and probably to those of you who compete or are interested in allround grip strength). I think one can get strong with grippers without specialize on them to the exclusion of other grip stuff.

Yes, I like training on many grip exercises. I want my base strength to improve, and not just get technically better at one event. The technical work I will work on in a run up to a contest.

David

Old guy,

That's me...although I'm starting to learn slowly. Basically turned inot a gripper fanatic so it takes precedence in my workouts. I'm thinking about rotating my other grip activities through by doing a different one after every grip workout.

Jon@han

Guest mikebyoung

In my grip training I try to work several things in. Grippers,Rolling Thunder,Wrist work,levering...lately been using the blobs alot.

I'll do a few basics, trying to avoid overlap of target muscles, with my chosen exercises.

I do all kinds of grip exercises in my workout

Rolling Thunder, Blobs, Plate Pinches, Block Pinches

and thick bar stuff also

Matt

Guest r.judoka

I do lots of different things for grip. I look at it as having the ability to be reasonably strong at alot of things but the tradeoff is not being great at any of them. Ive come to realize that if I'm ever going to close #3, I will need to specialize and slow down on all the other stuff.

rick

when i started, i did everything every training session. i made good gains for a good while and then had to cut back a lot because of overtraining and tendonitis :( . i'm just starting to get back into the flow and will be much more careful about it this time :) .

Guest sjeff70

I do support work, grippers, and pinch work (tearing) - that's it. I've been able to progress on them all at the same time, with them being equally distributed throughout the week. I think I've gotten to a point where I need to just "hold" certain exercises where they are, while I concentrate on one at a time. I can keep a base this way, don't have to worry about loosing technique, or having to start over - while giving my best to the concentration exercise and without deterence from other grip stuff. After I finish out my current lifting cycle, I will go with:

DayA

-No lifting day

-CoC (concentration)

-Pinch (hold)

DAYB

-One of my lifting days

-Support work (hold)

If you begin a new lifting cycle by starting with your "hold" weights, then there will be no suprises while you give your full focus to your concentration exercise. :)

Jeff