Cheating The Inch Up

Guest mikebyoung

Guest mikebyoung

I was visiting the gym equiptment place where I buy my grip tools today. They have an Inch replica there. Of course,I give it a go every time. All I can to is get it to spin a bit...lol,but,I swear..it feels like it WANTS to lift. The store owner gave me a good tip for training with the Inch. Try cheating with one finger from the other hand, just to keep it from rolling. I was able to clear it a foot easily this way.

I know...as impressive as shutting the #3 with 2 hands...but that's how I train with the grippers sometimes too.

The fact that an Inch replica rolls in the hand is a mystery to me. I would also like to know how this differs from the rotation of an Inch loadable.

I have posted several times that rotation occurs and it can be stopped with not very much pressure. ;)

I've done a full deadlift with just one finger of my left hand on the front globe. But, it's a world away still from really lifting it without the finger so not a big deal that's for sure.

One explanation for the rotation of the solid Inch bell is that the force applied by the fingers is greater than that of the thumbs, and this causes the bell to turn in the hand enough to make keeping hold of it very difficult. This is the best explanation I have so far heard. My question is which is more difficult to contro, the solid bell turning or the rotating handle of a loadable?

I think that if you lock the plates down tight to the bar and the plates do not rotate on the handle that it should have similar physical characteristics as a solid bell. Also, if you look down at your hand at the most natural placement of the hand on the handle it seems that it is off center (at least for my most natural position, with the fingers more under the bar). Thus, when you pick up the handle it rotates to more of a "pinch" position. Having strong wrists, in theory, would enable someone to hold the hand in the original, more favorable position, because they could stop the rotation with their strong wrists.

Try lift/dragging the Inch upward against a wall (with the

back of your hand nearer the wall). This will also stop rotation. And damage walls.

Because it is easier to hold the Inch in the top position,

start in that position and try to lower it as slowly as possible.

Or, do what Inch did, drill a hole in the sucker and use a

nail. :D

I agree with Tom Black.Along with some thumb strength? the wrist strength IS important -especially-for people that DON'T have HUGE hands.

I think with a smaller hand the rotation of a thick handled solid dumbell is more difficult to stop.

Josh has large-but not huge hands- just a shade above 8 1/8"(when measured properly)and his wrist( from sledge and IM Hammer II leverage lifts and other wrist work)is a brick.His wrist strength is a big advantage.

My hands are just a shade less than 7 3/4",decent size but not huge.I'm getting closer with our solid,2 3/8" 180#...which Josh indicated is a good comparison(His words:"the 180 heavier but not as slippery"-and according to him-"the Inch replica is a nice compact package and our 180 is more awkward".I'm doing some thumb specific stuff and leverages and other wrist exercises...as they go up the solid 180 'lifting'gets better.

Lifting -as Wanna said- with a finger to stop the Rotation allows me to get it moving upwards...i then release the other finger and TRY to pull it a little further -without the other hand...then instead of dropping it?my FIRST natural instinct- I try to control it all the way down(sometimes this isn't really under control but I'm just following it down with my hand around that sucker..sort of under control :laugh )

We have not made the 155,172,200,228 solid,2" 7/16"handled DB's as planned.

There were lay offs at the 'shop'and this fun(but legitimate)project has been set back for awhile.

Still training on the IM RT and this solid Dumbell.Prioritizing Pinch is helping my thumb also but I think unless your of the 8.5 inch to 9 :cry inch PLUS hand dept the wrist will be even more important.Probably?some of the guys with somewhat smaller hands? have very strong wrists?and thumbs?

PHOTO OF solid Thick 180#

www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album53/aav

I think it's been noted many times that strong wrists are an advantage in Inch lifting - one reason why David Horne does so well with them. Theoretically if your wrist was strong enough there would be no rotation at all.

Strong wrists are an aid in any kind heavy lifting, for that matter.

What is the best way to develop strong wrists? I mean what is the exercise that should be done intensley that will lead to solid results.

It would have to be heavy wrist curls an hammer type levering in all directions. Nail bending is excellent for the wrists also.

I need to get an Inch! :angry: When I tried it at the AOBS, that's all it did was spin!! I just need to stop that spin! :blush

I've become quite impressed by the extent to which the wrists and thumbs play in thick dumbbell deadlifts, so much so, that I will start with a grip routine which consists solely of grippers and the dumbbell deadlifts. I believe with the wrist and thumb work provided by my homemade Inch, in addition to the crushing strength courtesy of the grippers, I'll have a well rounded routine. Besides, my interest in the Inch has been rekindled. But the progress on the Inch is coming very slowly, probably because my wrists and thumbs have already attained a high percentage of their potential. I'll keep the nail bending for fun :D

Edited by eric milfeld

I do not have strong thumbs, but do have strong wrists and very big hands. This has been enough to make thickbar lifting my best grip feat. If I had strong thumbs which I am working on, I feel I would lift some very big weights. I have moved up to 3'' on the thickbar to make it much harder on the thumbs, as it becomes more of a pinch.

Anyone care to share any helpful hints for making gains with the Inch. For now, I'll be lifting every six days after deadlifts, doing low sets and reps, regripping between reps. I'm familiar with the basics of strength training, but am curious if someone with experience specific to thick dumbbells might have some insight. By the way, I've already discovered this exercise to be brutal on my wrists, after I experienced considerable pain in a medial wrist tendon after yesterday's workout.

Thnx, Old Guy. I'll probably not stray too far from heavy singles, but some reps might be in order as well, as progress isn't anything like I expected, for what is a new exercise to me. But man, the tendon strain is unreal with this stuff.

I need to get an Inch!

Geez Snott, careful what you admit to on such a public forum :D

HAH! :stuart

Thnx, Old Guy. I'll probably not stray too far from heavy singles, but some reps might be in order as well, as progress isn't anything like I expected, for what is a new exercise to me. But man, the tendon strain is unreal with this stuff.

Wrist or elbow?

Eric, describe in detail how you go about lifting a heavy thickbar dumbbell. I have not had wrist or elbow problems. It does tire the hands quickly though.

The mild injury I suffered seems to be a tendon. It's in the area where my hand meets my wrist, along my pinky side.

Technique: I straddle the bell, grasp it with my palm oriented perpendicular to my torso, and attempt to curl my wrist upwards. If there's a tilt to the bell, it's only marginal. The plates can't contact my hand, by the way. I guess I'm just using standard form, but boy are my forearms sore for a few days.

Eric I grasp the bar and squeeze as hard as I can. I keep the lifting arm straight and do not bend the wrist. I keep the hand in line with the wrist. To lift I straighten the legs. I do not pull up with the arm. I lift the bar evenly and straight both ends leaving the floor together. I do not use the bent wrist thumbless scoop lift that some do.