Curl War 3: The Peoples' Dietitian Vs. The Diesel Crew

jad

• 2 weeks later...

Great curl, Jedder!

Thanks. Just a matter of time, barring injury.

Nice job Jedder! I may actually try training curls more than 1 rep in a year - see what happens :)

[...] I may actually try training curls more than 1 rep in a year [...]

Special occasion?

Yearly curl day?

Or are you just being funny?

I'm all for an international curl day. :yikes

[...] I may actually try training curls more than 1 rep in a year [...]

Special occasion?

Yearly curl day?

Or are you just being funny?

I'm all for an international curl day. :yikes

I did the one curl for Josh's test thing - other than that I haven't done a curl in a long long time.

That looked legit. Helluva weight, Jedd!

Well, I got stopped with both arms on Friday. i did a back workout in the morning and then hit the curls along with some grip training friday night.

I could tell my biceps were fairly well pre-exhausted. Surprisingly, my right arm got better movement than my left, and the last couple times I could only complete the curls with my left.

• Like 1

I'll leave Josh and Robbie to make the final judgment on that lift, but as someone who has submitted more videos for this challenge than pretty much anyone, I must say that I would disqualify your lift.

My reason has to do with the movement of your shoulder (and thus your entire arm) upwards, prior to curling the dumbbell.

If you take a look at my last video which is right above yours you will see that there is practically zero movement upwards of my shoulder prior to curling the dumbbell upwards.

In yours, there is a very violent movement upwards of the shoulder. It is as if your upper trap fires dynamically upwards, which in turn lifts your entire shoulder-arm-dumbbell unit upwards as well. This creates momentum several inches at the bottom of a movement, in eassence deloading the lift for the first phase, and assisting with the rest of the range of motion.

Also, at the 7 second mark, there is a point where you drop your arm. This can trigger the elastic reaction of the trap, called the stretch reflex, which will give you even more propulsion, which can be seen at about the 8 second mark.

I do not want to take anything away from your strength, but it would seem to me that without the violent shrug prior to the lift, you would not be able to move the 100-lb dumbbell much more than 6 to 8 inches away from your thigh.

This form of assistance is similar to tilting the Inch Dumbbell or RT during the lift. It takes certain variables of difficulty out of the equation, and while they may be good training methods for a more difficult long-term goal, they should really be considered different lifts altogether.

Just my opinion. I am open to your thoughts regarding strict curling.

• Like 3

Agreed. More akin to a clean. Impressive lift nonetheless though.

David Ross,

Impressive blend of power and coordination.

----------------------------------

This thread, although it goes stale from time to time, is the most interesting and entertaining on this site right now IMO, mainly because of the relaxed, seemingly non-committed (possibly committed?) atmosphere. Lots of comedy and impressive lifts. I'll join in when I get a proper scale. Stay with it.

That last video is obviously cheated as heck. People understimate how much they can add with this little swings that don't appear like much on video. When you see the guy "curling" but the DB absolutely FLIES from start possition to a way above parallel, and the lifter only has to fight those last few degrees of the curl, it is definitely far off the challenge.

That last video is obviously cheated as heck. People understimate how much they can add with this little swings that don't appear like much on video. When you see the guy "curling" but the DB absolutely FLIES from start possition to a way above parallel, and the lifter only has to fight those last few degrees of the curl, it is definitely far off the challenge.

Agreed. Powerful but did not pass according to the rules set herein. Potential for a big number if he sticks with it.

I think a barbell curl challenge would be easier to judge. Its really hard to be that strict with a one arm dumbbell curl since all that weight it on one side the body and throwing a person off balance. The judging for this challenge is really difficult.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

What was the highest strict curl so far in this challenge?

Do you have a link Sam?

Do you have a link Sam?

Rob stated it on Northarmboard a couple of years ago.

I thought you weren't going to troll anymore. Where is link? Give a proper answer. If Rob stated it, then provide the link to THAT reference.

You posted not too long ago on this board apologizing for all the crap you had said/posted in your life. You make up feats that you seemingly pull out of your <insert word here>, just like when you made up ridiculous feats of Kinney that noone had ever heard of... you confuse people on purpose and damage people's reputations with your made-up crap. So please, if I am wrong and Rob (I assume Rob Vigeant Jr.) stated that about Spoto.... please provide the link and I will say I'm sorry for saying all of this.

In the mean time, I asked Rob and he told me he actually trained with Spoto a few times in Vegas a couple of years ago, and while obviously he (Rob) could never Bench like Eric... he said he could indeed out-curl him in strict fashion. He told me this in a private message so I cannot provide the link, but hey, I am not making any claims am I?

Florian: as far as I know the highest accepted one is either one, or both videos of Rob doing 95#... he wasn't training for the challenge or anything, he found out Josh had set up the page and some guy had claimed 87# saying "I beat Rob Vigeant" and while the form on that 87# was questionable (the author of the video was nicknamed IncredibleHulkRobert in Youtube), Rob just out of the blue filmed two attempts on his iphone and uploaded them. The form was pretty strict and you can see the DB raising at quite a slow pace, with no shoulder-dropping or torso leaning-backwards. I think these are still up in Youtube.

• Like 1

As I had a spare minute I typed a few carefully chosen words in Google and bam! I must have chosen them wisely as the very first result was a link to the NorthEast Armwrestling board and I found this two posts by Rob Vigeant Jr., dated from 2011:

Also another important factor....biceps are relatively small muscles so 10 extra lbs in a curl is like 100 in the bench where much bigger and multiple muscle groups come into play..... And it's 2 handed.
An 85 curl is like a 550 bench.... Probably strongest on your gym.... Even regionally.... Most likely you will win a good handful actual competitions.... It's very very good.
A 100 lb curl... Strict .... Is like a 700 lb bench..... IMO
Just because someone you know is close means nothing, in weightlifting those extra lbs are sometimes far from reachable for the masses.
100 is not impossible at all, I think it gets thrown around a lot and I can never seem to see anyone do it.
I can do 90 easy.... Have done 95 a few times back against a wall .... 100 feels like 250.... Very weird.
I'm not a hater or a nonbeliever but it is a very elite lift and per strict curl records one that has yet to be documented.
A friend of badger drewes, Wayne Andrews used to run strict curl comps all over, under his rules and guidelines I did 175 at 195 a few years back, weird lift.... Hurts your back.

Right under this, Rob said:

Eric spoto used to rep an 85 when we worked out..... 95 was well out of reach.... He couldn't move it.... He's pretty strong too

So I guess Sam is back to his old habit of making claims for people....

Edited by Arturo
  • Like 1