Atomgripz Penta Closers?

thehammer

If anyone has closed or come close to closing this beast, would you mind posting a video. The spring is just freaky large, it would be cool seeing that thing bent together. I've seen a bunch of quad band closes which is a good one, but nothing on the 5 band.

That would be a darn tough feat my friend. The 5 band rates I believe on average tougher than a coc4. It has a nasty sweep too. My 5 band is waaaay tougher than my coc4 for example.

Rich said he's sending his 205 lb. five band to Tim so we might be seeing a vid in the not too distant future.

Rich said he's sending his 205 lb. five band to Tim so we might be seeing a vid in the not too distant future.

That would be very cool. :)

The timing of this post is funny because I’m sending my 5band to be closed by a hydraulic machine today.

Atomgripz has a list of people who have closed their grippers. I think 5 and 6 band is empty.

The timing of this post is funny because I’m sending my 5band to be closed by a hydraulic machine today.

Atomgripz has a list of people who have closed their grippers. I think 5 and 6 band is empty.

Lol. You'll need a hydraulic machine!

I re calibrated my 5band today with a better apparatus and got 209.9# twice in a row. Its a little harder than what I got on the old calibrator that let the gripper move around while I added weight. I think that is around an average #4. It will be a huge challenge for sure.

I also re calibrated my T9 again and got 204.6#. (im sending it down too) The T9 is the same as a BB Pro. Has any one closed a Pro before??

I think Juha closed a narrow pro, which obviously rates much less and not comparable.

If anyone can close a pro with any set, that would be darn madness

I re calibrated my 5band today with a better apparatus and got 209.9# twice in a row. Its a little harder than what I got on the old calibrator that let the gripper move around while I added weight. I think that is around an average #4. It will be a huge challenge for sure. I also re calibrated my T9 again and got 204.6#. (im sending it down too) The T9 is the same as a BB Pro. Has any one closed a Pro before??

Wes and Teemu also closed a narrow BBPro.

Hey, what do you mean you're sending these away to be closed by a hydraulic machine? Like literally, or is that Tim? :huh:

I re calibrated my 5band today with a better apparatus and got 209.9# twice in a row. Its a little harder than what I got on the old calibrator that let the gripper move around while I added weight. I think that is around an average #4. It will be a huge challenge for sure. I also re calibrated my T9 again and got 204.6#. (im sending it down too) The T9 is the same as a BB Pro. Has any one closed a Pro before??

Wes and Teemu also closed a narrow BBPro.

Hey, what do you mean you're sending these away to be closed by a hydraulic machine? Like literally, or is that Tim? :huh:

It is Tim. I was joking because he closes the grippers and opens them slow and steady. Reminds me of how a hydraulic press works :)

My 5-Bands hit 214 and 217lbs, respectively. I think the "average" #4 hits around 220lbs these days.

My 5-Bands hit 214 and 217lbs, respectively. I think the "average" #4 hits around 220lbs these days.

I don’t know if #4s are harder "nowadays" but GSS lists 214 as average and Aaron’s gripper RGC calibrator has it at 209#. I have a brand new #4 @213.7# and it was on my newer apparatus-meaning i trust my new apparatus numbers more than my old.

I don’t know if #4s are harder "nowadays" but GSS lists 214 as average and Aaron’s gripper RGC calibrator has it at 209#. I have a brand new #4 @213.7# and it was on my newer apparatus-meaning i trust my new apparatus numbers more than my old.

Ok can we see a video of a close guys??

Ok can we see a video of a close guys??

I would if I could. even the top guys may not be able to close 210# yet...

Rich, thanks for sending the T9 and 5-band, which I received earlier this week. They were meticulously packaged and look freshly cleaned and oiled - you've definitely become a gripper connoisseur.

As far as I'm aware, no one has closed either gripper and I'm hoping to be the first for both. Will post the video when it happens.

Although they may calibrate around 205-210, the problem with both grippers is going to be their nasty sweep. I've not yet tried to close either one , but I've set them both down to parallel and they are VERY stiff from the beginning. Most of the energy will already be spent by the time the close begins. This makes them significantly harder than, for example, Eaton's #4 (199) that has a forgiving sweep and I can close regularly. They're both very good goal grippers, so wish me luck.

Edited by Tim Struse

Rich, thanks for sending the T9 and 5-band, which I received earlier this week. They were meticulously packaged and look freshly cleaned and oiled - you've definitely become a gripper connoisseur.

As far as I'm aware, no one has closed either gripper and I'm hoping to be the first for both. Will post the video when it happens.

Although they may calibrate around 205-210, the problem with both grippers is going to be their nasty sweep. I've not yet tried to close either one , but I've set them both down to parallel and they are VERY stiff from the beginning. Most of the energy will already be spent by the time the close begins. This makes them significantly harder than, for example, Eaton's #4 (199) that has a forgiving sweep and I can close regularly. They're both very good goal grippers, so wish me luck.

No problem Tim. Good luck. The T9 will die quick I think. But that 5 band will try to kill you back! :trout

I have noticed COC grippers ramp up quick at the end and have nicer sweeps. I don’t know what is up with the Atomgripz but they come out fighting from the beginning. I can put a nice dent on my #4 which is harder than the 5band but I can’t get real movement on the 5band.

I think this is why Russ had a problem when he first got my 4 band. I had it at 166.1# and he swore it was harder so he recalibrated it himself and got the same “165.9”. He had closed 172 or so just before so he was bummed about the quad. He’s mashing it now which is what counts.

It must be be a combination of things: the spring is so huge, it curves in at an extreme angle, and the handles are mounted very low down on the wire. That's the only thing I can think of. My #4 handles are mounted so high up, I think that makes the close seem hard relative to the sweep (because you are distorting the torsion spring so much at that point). Whereas in the Atomgripz 5 band, it's not as distorted at the close thus making for a relatively hard sweep, not close. Not sure if this makes any sense.