Gnc Grippers

Gift2k1

So does anyone have any opinions of the GNC grippers? I bought both sets. The beginner 50,100,150 and the advanced set; 200, 250 and 300. They seem like some pretty well built grippers. Solid steel, 5/8th handles for beyond the range closes. Generally I like them. They aren't as smooth as CoC but for $40 for a set of 6, one can't complain. I can close a CoC #2 for 5 or so reps but I can't close the GNC200. Feels close but I think the 5/8th handles are causing me some difficulty. Anyone have any thoughts on these or comparisons to other grippers? Also, has anyone seen any RGC ratings beyond those listed at http://p2.foorumi.in...pic.php?p=17#17 ? I'm curious how consistent they are.

Edited by Gift2k1

I haven't had mine rated, but here are my impressions:

50 = close to IM Guide

100 = somewhere between IM Trainer and #1

150 = very close to #1.5

200 = somewhere between #2 and #2.5

250 and 300 = beyond my current strength level

I haven't had mine rated, but here are my impressions:

50 = close to IM Guide

100 = somewhere between IM Trainer and #1

150 = very close to #1.5

200 = somewhere between #2 and #2.5

250 and 300 = beyond my current strength level

I don't own any of the "tweener" CoC but based on my experience I'd say you're pretty spot on compared to my set. One thing I'm wondering is if they vary as much as the Heavy Grips. Seems like yours and mine are certainly close.

I guess in time we'll see whats what with people throwing them on an RGC. I did notice that the 1 set that was calibrated had the 250 and 300 rated the same so that's a little disconcerting. Here's the ratings from http://p2.foorumi.info/rautakoura/viewtopic.php?p=17#17

GNC50: 16kg / 35.27lbs

GNC100: 28.5kg / 62.84lbs

GNC150: 44kg / 97.02 lbs / rating = 1.52

GNC200: 57kg / 125.68 lbs / rating = 2.40

GNC250: 72.5kg / 159.86 lbs / rating = 3.17

GNC300: 72.5kg / 159.86 lbs / rating = 3.17

I'm within 1 or 2mm from closing the GNC200 so if it is close to a 2.40 then I'd be happy with my progress. Went from not closing a #1 to closing a ~2.4 in 3 months? I can dig it.

Edited by Gift2k1

I think that those ratings for the 250 and 300 must be a misprint. There is no way they are exactly the same. I have seen the GNC 300 come in around 167 or 168 by a couple other people. I am with you in that I wonder how much they vary and if they will season as much as the HGs.

FYI, I can dominate a #2, and I just barely closed a #2.5 for the first time this week. I can close the GNC 200 about 50% of the time, that's why I say it is between a #2 and a #2.5, and probably closer to the #2.5

Very helpful info jchap, thanks. My first inclination was to assume that the 250/300 rankings were a misprint as well, but with variations in grippers in general and the low cost of GNC's sets, you never know with quality control. The guy who owned them is listed as "Tuukkanen". I'm thinking maybe it's Timo Tuukkanen, certified Captains of Crush 2009. He's a member here, so I'm gonna shoot him a message and try to verify. You said you had seen the GNC300 come in at 167 or 168. Was this something you saw personally or something posted in a forum? I'd be interested to read about it. Appreciate the responses. Thanks.

I own the advanced set. My GNC 300 is harder than my COC #3 and MM1 replica. I saw Ben Edwards had his RGC as being 168 and another member named rich rated his at 169. They are a nice deal and good enough quality.

Very helpful info jchap, thanks. My first inclination was to assume that the 250/300 rankings were a misprint as well, but with variations in grippers in general and the low cost of GNC's sets, you never know with quality control. The guy who owned them is listed as "Tuukkanen". I'm thinking maybe it's Timo Tuukkanen, certified Captains of Crush 2009. He's a member here, so I'm gonna shoot him a message and try to verify. You said you had seen the GNC300 come in at 167 or 168. Was this something you saw personally or something posted in a forum? I'd be interested to read about it. Appreciate the responses. Thanks.

I saw the GNC 300 ratings in a forum (probably this one). One of the ratings was Ben Edward's GNC 300 that Chez mentioned. I believe Ben's GNC 200 comes in at 121.

I agree that these grippers are a good value. For $40 you can cover the distance from a Guide to beyond an Elite. The smaller handles are useful for the final closing power, and the smoother knurling is nice if your skin is beat up.

Edited by jchap

It sucks that when I search "gnc" on the forums, I get zero results. Even though this thread and others exist in which GNC is mentioned. Ben Edwards GNC200 coming in at 121lbs sounds about right compared to my strength. The GNC300 is well beyond my ability for now. IMO, the steel construction and 5/8 handles create a nice offering for people who don't own a 5/8 Beef Builder or FBBC. Or for people who simply don't want to file there grippers for BTR closes. I also noticed that the GNC handles are slightly shorter in length. As an example, my GNC200 is 92mm and my CoC #2 is 95mm. It felt like a bigger difference in my hand compared to my measurement, but nonetheless, something worth mentioning.

I just purchased both sets and for $40 it's a good deal. They are cheap no doubt. Steel handles are ncie but not knurled well, 5/8" handle is nice, narrow grip is nice too but it really causes them to build up fast on the close. I hear these grippers get weak with time and also they vary. I recall one account of the 250 being harder than the 300. That is not the case with mine. The 300 feels like the common 168-169 that most report. I would really like mine rated as it should be the biggest gripper i've closed but if they wear it will change and be a useless number. Also these are good loaner grippers to noobs.

I ended up being exposed to 3 sets of them at Christmas. Never seen that much variability on any type of grippers before. They did not resemble each other as to difficulty.

The handles did not line up on half of them. When the handles touched, they were sometimes half an inch off in length.

The cheap price and the smaller handles will make them attractive to some. I guess we will see as to durability, as the Jury would still be out on them.

I ended up being exposed to 3 sets of them at Christmas. Never seen that much variability on any type of grippers before. They did not resemble each other as to difficulty.

The handles did not line up on half of them. When the handles touched, they were sometimes half an inch off in length.

The cheap price and the smaller handles will make them attractive to some. I guess we will see as to durability, as the Jury would still be out on them.

I may have been lucky to have mine so well built then. Mine all have same handle spread and length, and are in correct ratings to their numbers. Maybe they got better? Still cheapest grippers I own but worth the price.

I may have been lucky to have mine so well built then. Mine all have same handle spread and length, and are in correct ratings to their numbers. Maybe they got better? Still cheapest grippers I own but worth the price.

Daniel, my experience is like yours, the handles line up and each one is harder than the next. I do worry about how much the will season.

I like mine a bunch

My ratings...

GNC GRIPPERS

50=30.4

100=66.2

150=91.0

200=124.0

250=155.1

300=169.0

I agree with what the others are saying. I have both sets and they are currently the only grippers I have. When I sold my COC's a year ago I was closing a 2.5 in a choker for a single just about every time I attempted which was every other workout. I think they are decent grippers and seem to vary less than the HG's (this is based only on what I have read on the boards about how they rate). I also agree that the 200 is about a 2.4-ish because today a year after being able to close the 2.5 in a choker I can MM set close the GNC200 for a good set of 4-7 singles each workout. I can just barely get a 250 closed on a really good day from a nice deep set. my 300 is harder than my 250 but only by a small margin. The springs seem to be the same size on the 250 and 300; however, my 300 spring is mounted closer to the handles.

I own the advanced set. My GNC 300 is harder than my COC #3 and MM1 replica. I saw Ben Edwards had his RGC as being 168 and another member named rich rated his at 169. They are a nice deal and good enough quality.

Exactly right Chez! And it is a "hard" 168 since the handles are small-diameter.

My GNC200 is 121lbs. GNC250 is 153lbs. GNC300 is 168lbs.

I like mine a bunch

My ratings...

GNC GRIPPERS

50=30.4

100=66.2

150=91.0

200=124.0

250=155.1

300=169.0

Your grippers and Rich's rate very similar. At least these 2 sets are consistent. Gives me more confidence that my GNC 300 rates in the high 160's as well. If it does, its the hardest gripper I have closed to date.