Weaver Stick

Wade Gillingham

Can someone please post the specifics of the weaver stick lift including what the rules are and what the implement is exactly. Pics would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wade

Found this

ukgrip.info > iron grip lifts > Weaver Stick To Rear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weaver Stick To Rear

George Russell Weaver popularised this wrist leverage test some 50 years ago whilst living in Brooklyn. A round stick (mop handle) is used which has the following dimensions - diameter about 1", length 42". Half an inch from one end cut a notch. Exactly 36" from the centre of this notch, circle the stick with a line. Get two metal right angles at a hardware store, and screw them into the top and bottom sides of the stick so that the rear edges of the right angles come exactly to the circled line. The topside of the stick is the side where the notch is cut. This leaves a handle just 5 ½" long. The weight hangs from a wire in the notch ½" from the end, creating a leverage effect when you lift the stick by the handle. For the lift to the rear, you face away from the stick, grasping the handle with your little finger towards the weight, and lift the stick and weight off the table. You may bend your body forward as the lift is made. The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. If the weighted end slopes downwards, you may carry on the event till the stick is level. You will then get the referees command to lower the stick. There must be no rocking of the stick on the table before lifting. The lifter hand and arm must remain free of the body. The heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick; if the hand twists around under the stick, the lift is not allowed.

Before long Wade will be picking up blobs on the end of a Weaver stick....like he's toasting marshmallows.

I've been thinking about trying these too. In an event with such a relatively light weight being the World Record, it would seem to really behoove a person to find the lightest materials possible for the stick used, the metal, and the wire. Are the metal angles used just to prevent the hand from crossing the line? Could you simply afix a 1" washer at the line instead?

Wade, there's a pic of Steve Gardener's world record weaver lift here. Go to the 2001 Iron Grip Champs in the Gallery.

BC.

What's "TTWC"? There's a couple pictures of guys doing something called a TTWC in that link.

Who dares steal my thunder - or at least raise the bar.

1) Major tip - it will strain your wrist and so wrist wraps are allowed. But only use them on the top weight.

2) Don't start low - the average was only 5 kilos plus the stick. But do be prepared to be humbled by a 1/2 pound jump.

3) Try and stand as erect etc as possible with everyhting except the absolute top weight (a la the image u can see).

Unofficially I have gone up to 23 pounds at home (not a WR claim as the only witness was my training partner) just prior to the Pullums event.

It appears to be a real test of wrist strength-how does it compare-pressure on the wrist and forearm- to say a heavy sledge leverage in front?

Is there any carry over from the sledge levers in front to the weaver stick lift?

The heavy sledge hammer levers and the Heavy Hammer II put a lot of stress on the delts too.......where besides the wrists do you feel it on the weaver stick?

Right at the base of the forearms bones. I'd say that the muscles for forward lever work are sufficently different for there not to be that much of a carry over. That said I never gave forward work much pratice.

nothing like a sharpened ax blade or a heavy sledge hammer...two inches from your nose....... to stimulate wrist strength..give it a whirl mobster :laugh

no thunder stealers here ;) but thanks for the tips and the info.I'll print it off for later?so many things to learn and try..so little time.

Thanks