So, I Challenged My Cousin To An Arm Wrestling Challenge :)

Bright508620

So, heres the story.

For the past 4-5 years, my cousin has been the KING of our family at arm wrestling. He is just born for it. I swear. He feels like a vice grip when you shake his hand. He is freakishly strong. His wrist (when he flexes them) are ROCK HARD. im serious about being rock hard. There is no give to them. He only weights around 180-190 and he works construction.

He has crushed me for a while but i bet 20 bucks that by Christmas i would beat him. So what im wondering is, what is the BEST arm wrestling exercises to do? I will find videos and improve my technique, but STRENGTH WISE, what are the best things that i can do?

I currently am into

1) Grippers

2) Pinch training

3) Wrist roller work

THANKS!

Edited by Bright508620

I don't think wrist roller or pinching nor grippers will give u a big advantage.

Like Bob mentioned pull ups parall grip with fat handles or the RT are very beneficial.

Also heavy wrist curls with a fat handle work great. Then you need to train your pronation a lot and your front wrist with whatever training tool you have like leverage bars, Tubes, cable etc.

If it's really important to you, I'd take things a step further than videos. Find an experienced arm wrestler in your area and learn from them. Physical skills are poorly taught through video.

When you start to arm wrestle him, grab his hand and get ready to go, and soon as someone says "go" use your other hand to slap your cousin, this will breifly distract him and you'll be able to slam his hand no problem. You might be beat up afterward but you'd be $20 richer.

• Like 1

Static heavy holds with a dumb bell in a Hammer Curl position is a good one. Grab a heavy weight and see how long you can keep your arm locked in before the weight pulls it down.

Does your cousin know about armwrestling? where do you guys usually pull? In sitting position on a "kitchen" table,.... or on a real armwrestling table??

If you really want serious progress you should listen to Scott and join a club or meet some armwrestler you can train with, because it's always the same! If you want to be good at something you have to practice it. If you want to run faster than you have to practice running fast... an thats the same with armwrestling.

Bob Brown: would you say Thumbless pull-ups on RT handles are better than a regular grip?

Rob Vigeant once told me he had pulled huge weights on the RT when he was younger and into grip (something like 270 both hands if I remember correctly) but he said when he used the RT for AW he lifted less, but in a different manner. I think he meant that for AW he lifted it while keeping his wrist neutral, without letting it go into a possition of extension.

Very similar thinking to the fellows that have closed grippers with a neutral wrist without letting them extend.

But about the RT... I think in a regular grip you'd develop a strong overall grip and quite nice Thumb strength... but wouldn't doing them with a thumbless (thumb on same side as the rest of fingers) grip and neutral wrist be more benefitial for AW? Please let us know what you think.

So what im getting is:

1) Heavy heavy curls for static holds also.

2) Wrist curls (Fat gripz i can use).

3) Pull ups.

ALSO, when i do certain exercises should i be flexing my wrist or should it just be hanging. For example. If i use a rolling thunder to pull, should my wrist be flexed or just hanging? Which one would be more beneficial.

And NO. This is a kitchen table arm wrestling match. But its something that i really want to do. Ive felt his strength and its something that would be like "WOW, i cant believe i have that strength now" IF i beat him, because its amazing the power he has. But Its just bragging rights to.

Its also something that i can chase. I always look to improve and this is something i can do. Another goal to keep myself motivated :)

EDIT:

So far ive been doing Rolling thunder wrist curls. Ive been doing curls with my arm on a heavy bag so its like an arm wrestling match (both regular and hammer - - also both skinny and Fat gripz). Ive also been doing standing curls with the RT.

Edited by Bright508620

how does your match against your cousin normally looks like?? are pulling with your handa curled?

roational strength is very important. you really have to work on this! probably more than on wrist curls cause its often a weakness of non armwrestlers, at least in my experience (except for people who does manula labour).