The Blob Syndicate Boss

Bill Piche

He heard someone was messin in his territory and tarnishing his "rep". So, the head BOSS of the Blob Syndicate, Brian Carlton decided to take a few of his "boys" over there and set them straight.

This is a sub-album of the Blob BOSS's album.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album63

Nice job Brian, way to take control of your

Blob Syndicate name, and show 'em who

is boss :laugh

Matt

It was the first time I'd been to SafeUSA. Scott Safe is an extremely nice guy and didn't even give me strange looks when I busted out the tape measure, camera, and pen and pad. As you can pretty much see for yourself, both Blobs are the same. Although I didn't have anything to accurately measure the slope this one is clearly not 6", like Steve Weiner's. The length across the top did seem to be a smidge (~1/16") wider than mine, Scott's Blob being 3-15/16" across.

Both Blobs share the same 'flat' spot on one side and that can be seen best in the 1st of the seven pictures. The circumference of both (measured around the flat side of the Blob, not the sloped side) is 23". The sloped side circumference of both is 23-3/8".

Scott told me to bring my camera again when I could pick the thing up, so hopefully I'll be seeing him again soon!

Oh yeah, he's got COC's T, 1, 2, and 3 chained to the wall by the door for anyone to try. How many times do you see that in a store?!?! I thought that that was pretty cool. The #3 is very tough and I hear that even Wade will agree to that.

BC.

I bought a belt from SafeUSA about 7 years ago-it is still in great condition even after all the abuse I put it through!

Quality stuff-

Rick Walker :rock

Brian

Do all the blobs have that ridge effect running down the length of the side? see here

It seems more apparent on the safe USA blob than yours.

My blob certainly does have those ridges . It looks like it is from the casting. The blob seems to be cast in two halves. It is a fairly crude casting.

Wow, its been years since I saw Scott Safes blob. As soon as I saw it(notice the color(blue)) I realized it was not one of the original first four that were made from a broken set(pair) of York 100 lb solids.The first four are mine,Brookfields, Strossens and Leistners(now 3 Crushers)were made and sent out in that order. They all were VERY well used with almost no paint on them. The early blob Scott Safe has is part of a "hoarded complete set " that I had made up and still have in storage along with some extra "old blues" 50lb. The blue color was done for a short period by York in an effort to dress up their product.I did wonder lately how 4 halves from the first pair wound up with 5 owners... the math didn't work but now it does.RS

I concur with Richard, 3crusher's has almost no paint at all, and in fact looks very different next to the newer ones. It is very well used. I will take some side by side pictures next to my new blob (courtesy BC) next time we get together.

Do all the blobs have that ridge effect running down the length of the side?

It seems more apparent on the safe USA blob than yours.

Yes they do, the lighter weights as well, and it goes all the way around the entire blob. I presume that David's is the same. It is more apparent on the Safe-USA Blob but I think that that's just because of the lighter color and the flash of the camera pulls it out more.

I think that those Yorks are cast in halves like that because of the handle design. It's not just a length of iron welded onto a bell. The handle actually fans out at each end inside the bell, which of course makes it very strong.

The other neat thing about Scott's Blob is that he's got it sitting on the floor right in front of the counter. I'm sure that more than a few people have wondered just what in the hell that thing is.

BC.

That Blue color is the "grease paint" that I always tease Scott that Richard painted on there to keep anyone from lifting it! It's very slick. I didn't realize that was York's paint.

Chris,

A "blob" is half a York DB weight. You use it to test your pinch grip. The term came about from an original 100 pound York DB that was cut in half and then pinch gripped.