2012 Us Grip Nationals - June 9

andurniat

No hook grip on frame hold - correct?

That is correct. NO hook grip or straps on the frame hold or any event.

Standard 1 to 1.25" handles on the frame hold? Like a strongman frame... ?

Yes. It will be a strongman frame we are using. It is currently being fabricated by Doc at Farmstrength.

I a newbie to grip but I'm pretty excited about this. I'm planning to make this my first contest. It will nice training motivation for the months to come.

Edited by Chez

I a newbie to grip but I'm pretty excited about this. I'm planning to make this my first contest. It will nice training motivation for the months to come.

Chez - remember that you have to qualify in order to compete at Nationals - either by contest performances or by doing the accepted feats done under the rules. Makes it tougher to do as a first contest - perhaps you will want to try another contest before then?

Chez - remember that you have to qualify in order to compete at Nationals - either by contest performances or by doing the accepted feats done under the rules. Makes it tougher to do as a first contest - perhaps you will want to try another contest before then?

I would love to do another contest before then but my school schedule makes that really difficult. I looked at all the contest to find ones I could actually make it to. I saw the qualifying categories in the first page of this topic. I certed on the MM1 on 9/26/11 and MM2 recently on 10/13/11. I thought that qualifies me under one of the categories. I'm also trying real hard to cert on the #3 within the next couple months. Let me know if I read that incorrectly.

I would love to do another contest before then but my school schedule makes that really difficult. I looked at all the contest to find ones I could actually make it to. I saw the qualifying categories in the first page of this topic. I certed on the MM1 on 9/26/11 and MM2 recently on 10/13/11. I thought that qualifies me under one of the categories. I'm also trying real hard to cert on the #3 within the next couple months. Let me know if I read that incorrectly.

Both of your MM certs qualify you for 2012 Nationals. Where are you located? I plan to hold an open comp in Feb. 2012 which is a nice warm-up and will give you some much needed experience with the equipment. Keep up the training and you will do well. See you soon I'm sure.

Thanks man. I'm in Westchester county NY. I can do Feb. 2012 since that's right after the start of next semester and things aren't that too crazy at that point. I'm going to train my butt off so I at least make decent showing.

Edited by Chez

Thanks man. I'm in Westchester county NY. I can do Feb. 2012 since that's right after the start of next semester and things aren't that too crazy at that point. I'm going to train my butt off so I at least make decent showing.

Outstanding. I'll post the date once I have it figured out.

You should contact John Eaton; he's probably only about four hours away from you and has most all the equipment you need to get familiar with. He is very helpful and a great guy as well.

Thanks Odin, definitely going to do that. I think John actually hit me up as a friend on this site. I have plans to buy some stuff and I'm going to make a training station in my house. The more I learn about grip, the more I love it.

• 1 month later...

Andrew, I would love to compete, but at the moment I don't anticipate any sanctioned contests I could attend prior to the event. And, of course, all of my certs were completed quite some time ago. Any alternatives?

Did you do World's Strongest Hands, eric?

Not really. Lol. I bombed out.

Andrew, I would love to compete, but at the moment I don't anticipate any sanctioned contests I could attend prior to the event. And, of course, all of my certs were completed quite some time ago. Any alternatives?

Outside of Elite qualification, We are going to accept video submission for qualifying lifts. If you wish to cheat the lifts on video and then come to Nationals to bomb out on those lifts, so be it.

Outside of Elite qualification, We are going to accept video submission for qualifying lifts. If you wish to cheat the lifts on video and then come to Nationals to bomb out on those lifts, so be it.

I intend to compete in the 82.5 class, so I guess I will await the posting of the standards and then submit the necessary videos.

I intend to compete in the 82.5 class, so I guess I will await the posting of the standards and then submit the necessary videos.

Sounds great

Sounds great

If that's the case I know Brad Ardrey showed interest but at the moment is focused on the strongman worlds at the Arnold And is out of town for Gripmas. If he could do the qualifying videos it would help him a ton and i know he would make it in. Keep us updated to what lifts need to be done.

Below are the ways to qualify for Nationals without entering a grip competition. As of yet, we do not have lightweight standards, but if you can complete 3 of 'Chance 2' (regardless of bodyweight) you are in. I have also listed 'Chance 3' as another option that does not require a grip competition.

Video submission can be emailed to me at: durniatstrength@gmail.com

Qualification Chance 2: (Now open for video submission - all weight classes)

Athletes can also qualify for Nationals by completing 3 of the following feats during the 2011 – 2012 season in NAGS-sanctioned contests. (Can occur during multiple contests)

• 1″ Vertical Bar – 325
  • 2″ FBBC Vertical Bar – 200
  • Gripper – Close Level 13 Gold on the Vulcan or 150# Gripper Close (parallel or 20-mm Block Set)
  • Bending – Grade 8×6″ bolt, Wrist Developer Level 5 Gold
  • IronMind Axle Deadlift – 325
  • Euro Two Hands Pinch – 200
  • One Hand Deadlift on Olympic / Powerlifting Bar – 250
  • 50-lb Blob to Lockout
  • Rolling Thunder – 180
  • Two 45’s Pinch to Lockout
  • Inch DB to Lockout

Qualification Chance 3:

Complete any of the following Certifications during the 2011 – 2012 Grip season

• Certify for IronMind Captain of Crush (#3 or #3.5)
  • Certify for IronMind Red Nail Roster
  • Certify as Gripboard Mash Monster

That's really cool that you're letting competitors submit video so that more can qualify for the Nationals! I like that idea and think it's one of the best things to get more people involved in the "big show" contest.

I've been wondering about this for a while: is the standard height of 18" for farmer's and deadlifts measured to the middle (axis) of the bar (handles)? I extended the handles on my farmer's and want to be sure I have the height right.

I've been wondering about this for a while: is the standard height of 18" for farmer's and deadlifts measured to the middle (axis) of the bar (handles)? I extended the handles on my farmer's and want to be sure I have the height right.

18" will be to the bottom of the handles.

Looks like a lot of thought going into this and a lot of enthusiasm for the contest.

Is there prize money? I was guessing maybe not and I think that says good stuff about why everyone is doing this.

Has to be a ton of work to get everything organized—hats off to Andrew for putting on this contest and good luck to everyone who's training hard to shine in June.

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of thought going into this and a lot of enthusiasm for the contest.

Is there prize money? I was guessing maybe not and I think that says good stuff about why everyone is doing this.

Has to be a ton of work to get everything organized—hats off to Andrew for putting on this contest and good luck to everyone who's training hard to shine in June.

I can remember when I decided to have my first Gripmas contest - I talked to Jedd Johnson and he told me it took him about 3 months to prepare for his GGC contests. I thought he was nuts until I actually did it - 3 months isn't as long as you think when getting ready and wanting to put on the best contest you possibly can.

The first one is always the toughest, especially if you don't have all the weights weighed on a good scale yet. There are so many little things that have to be done that people who have never run a contest have no idea about.

As always, I would like to come but I am just mostly tired as shit nowadays.

Andrew, I would like to commit to some sort of sponsorship, say $75 or so. Please remind me if I forget in the next month or so, paying for other things now.

Also, I don't say this enough, but thank you to Jedd and Andrew for giving us a Nationals. I appreciate it after all these years.

• Like 1