28" X 5/8" Steelworks Hrs Bend

daniel reinard

This was the 3rd braced bend I've done, all in the last week. Can we say addicting?

30" took 4.5 minutes the other day but I fiddled with technique. This time something clicked and 28" was had in 90 seconds. I hear steelworks brand is hard HRS compared to standard A36. Next time I'll do without that towel. It just got in the way. I don't know how y'all use one.

Next time 26"?

Great job Daniel! I think you'll be killing this stuff in short order! Steelworks is all over the place. The best bet is to go with Fastenal or something similar in A36. I've had 25" Steelworks bars that have bent like 23.5" A36 and also straight up 25." My first ?? 20 bends or so were with HRS from MetalsDepot, which is similar to the Steelworks (both all over the place). Working with this stuff, I was really able to dial in my technique and condition my legs to the pounding.

Now it's time to get your name up on David H.'s braced list.

Thanks Carl and Carl! I keep meaning to order Fastenal and probably will when I get back in town. This stuff is interesting. It's not as simple to just cut it down because when the length changes the technique can change. Fun stuff.

Do your obliques hurt?

This braced bending is great for the core. I’m excited because I have some core issues. My sides are sore from the little I did yesterday.

Do your obliques hurt?

This braced bending is great for the core. I’m excited because I have some core issues. My sides are sore from the little I did yesterday.

Braced bending will definitely hit all aspects of your core-obliques, rectus, transveres muscles, etc. I have a pretty strong core and it's just from braced bending. Remember to try different length bars, but start slow because braced bending will definitely find you weakness and capitalize on them. Be careful to avoid injuries, and have fun!

Great job Daniel, I knew it wouldn't be long before you got in on the action. I know we have even more to see soon!

Yeah it hits my obliques and I thought I had a strong core. Like Carl said, it exposes ones weaknesses. When I get back from backpacking in the Rubicon i'll order up A36 and see what length I get stuck at.

Thanks for the advice.

Carl, I cant even imagine how strong you must be to bend the things you bend.

Great bend Dan, long bar bending can be a very expensive hobby !

Great bend Dan, long bar bending can be a very expensive hobby !

haha, yes it can. 3' steelworks $10. Oof. Found a local place that sells at $1.40/ft. Way better.