Choked Gripper

macaz

The hose clamp idea didn’t sit well with me so I messed around a bit with trying to imitate the choker thing that is on my $4 Wal-Mart gripper. I actually took the s hook thing off my Wal-Mart gripper but this gripper is RGC155# and it opened the thin S hook.

This S hook is a bigger gage and can be bought at Ace etc. I don’t think I could have put it on without a vice, good pliers and a channel-lock thing.

gallery_19587_1292_28600.jpg

The gripper is a GNC250. I didn't want to experiment on a good gripper.

Why does the hose clamp idea bother you? In the 6ish years I've been at the GripBoard, I've never heard of one popping and certainly never heard of an injury that resulted. I know that doesn't mean it will never happen, but I suppose the s-hook could break as well.

Just seemed like it would pop off and got in the way a bit. I was just messing around with Ideas, not trying to poop on the hose clamp method.

The method I used works well and I doubt it will break. The drawbacks are it is a little difficult to get on and it needs a fair gap between the handles and spring coil.

No worries, I was just curious :)

Another thing to consider is that a gripper choked on the spring will be easier to close than the same gripper choked on the handles at the same width. Teemu discusses this in his great article on choking grippers. I think you get less out of choker training if you choke on the spring.

No worries, I was just curious :)

Another thing so consider is that a gripper choked on the spring will be easier to close than the same gripper choked on the handles at the same width. Teemu discusses this in his great article on choking grippers. I think you get less out of choker training if you choke on the spring.

I would have never guessed that. Spring vs. handles. Thanks

Were is Teemu’s article?

No worries, I was just curious :) Another thing so consider is that a gripper choked on the spring will be easier to close than the same gripper choked on the handles at the same width. Teemu discusses this in his great article on choking grippers. I think you get less out of choker training if you choke on the spring.
I would have never guessed that. Spring vs. handles. Thanks Were is Teemu’s article?

It's weird about the spring vs. handles choking...but very, very noticeable like Matt was saying. I used to choke my grippers on the spring and there is a lot of difference at the hand - I'm guessing (totally ballpark figure) it feels 10lbs easier to close a 150lb #3 when choking it on the spring vs. on the handles.

Rich, I forgot to tell you that I'm impressed with how you put that S-hook on there! Seriously, that's pretty neat looking actually. And dang, the handles on that GNC250 must be off by 1/8" when they're closed. :) I still love the GNC grippers though. Those small handles make them dynamite training tools.

Rich, I forgot to tell you that I'm impressed with how you put that S-hook on there! Seriously, that's pretty neat looking actually. And dang, the handles on that GNC250 must be off by 1/8" when they're closed. :) I still love the GNC grippers though. Those small handles make them dynamite training tools.

Thanks

This would be easy on the HG grippers because they (at least mine) have huge gaps to put on a S hook. My 350 is only 143# i think because the handles a .5" away from the spring.

Great article, thank you for sharing!

I think I can incorporate this into my training by parallel-choking my #3 on the spring first (taking advantage of the 'sweep factor') and only later on the handles for more feasible increments (that '10lbs easier'). That might help me on the last 1/8" of my #3.