York Deep Dish Plates

mike60975

Hi guys,

I am wondering just how many (or few) people have pinched a pair of York Deep Dish plates? I know only of Richard Sorin (from the famous picture) and Chad Woodall (from various Youtube videos). Is there anybody else who has done this? Is anybody else currently training for it? I know that the Euro-Pinch has become very popular because of it's use in competition, but it is much narrower and may not have good carry-over to the wider hand position needed for the Deep Dish plates.

Also, did York Barbell ever make Deep Dish 25's or 35's? There was a listing on Ebay a while back that seemed to imply that they did, at least for a short while, but I have never seen them before.

They are hard to find period so you won't see many pipe up on this let alone how hard it is....

York - Paramount (sp) - Schsler (sp) - International and probably some other companies made deep dish plates back when all plates were wider - they all have about the same measurements and approximate difficulty.

I have a pair but as you mentioned there's not much carryover between that and the Euro so I find myself training on the 2HP and hoping to get enough carryover to eventually get them. I have trained them enough though to tell you that the biggest difference/problem is you can't tilt them like the Euro, due to the rounded lips or they just come right apart. If you don't pinch straight up on the Euro/very little wrist, you won't see much carry over.

Wannagrip - You are right, not much of a response. I guess the Deep Dish plates are too hard to find and too expensive to buy when found to generate much interest. People are doing other things with their training.

Shoggoth - I have some International 25s that are 3 1/2 inches wide. Mind if I ask how wide your plates are? Just curious.

Climber - I still rue the day I passed on buying a pair of International 45s from play-it-again-sports. To be fair, the edges were dented and didn't match up real well, but still... Oh well.

jad - I have never tried a Euro pinch before. I think I have read somewhere that it has poor carry-over even to shallow dish plates, but I have no idea myself. If true, I would have to wonder what good a Euro pinch really is, except for competition of course.

Thanks guys.

I lifted the 50blob first day I saw one (after a grip comp) and I attribute that success to pich lifting at the widest (64mm) setting on the Euro. You can set the width as wide as you want on the Euro. It is simply a matter of getting more rubber spacers. There is too much anecdotal 'evidence' floating around in the grip community.

"Grippers dont' build hand strength"

"1'' vbar lifting does'nt build grip strength"

"Euro pinch does'nt build grip strength"

In fact those three events was all I did basically leading up to the 2006 Oz grip championship so I guess I pulled the 50blob (before that day I had never seen one first hand) because I was ...lucky perhaps.

Big Chad also did not train specifically for that lift. He just did it a couple of times at Sorinex.

I guess Hampton plates could be of a similar difficulty as deep dish Yorks.

I thought Chad did train for that lift using Hamptons or some other deep dish plate because I saw a pair in one of his albums and commented on they'd be a good training tool for that feat and he acknowledged it.

The only person other than myself I have ever seen in person to full pull pinch old York 45s is Chad Woodall in addition being able to do them both right and left handed. In ALL the years of Strength and Health magazine I have seen only two men ever giving "airtime" to a pair of the fat 45s and I think only one was a full pull. I think "somewhere" I remember a Youtube clip of a guy doing a pair but my memory is "cloudy" on that one. Perhaps someone can help on that. I have seen "the best" over many years try it with no success so, it remains I think right up there near the top as a monumental grip feat. Chads demonstrated ability is at present the defining mark. He at our Summerstrong #4 this year came close to a same time right and left full pull...... simply amazing! In addition to his credit just grabbed the first two off the 30+ stack of them with no regard to matching or actual certified weight(in most cases over 45lb).RS

I have pairs of Billard and Schisler deep dish plates - Chad did one or the other pairs here at Gripmas a few years ago in my Medley - meaning he did it after maybe 25 or so other grip feats of strength and at the end of a whole contest. I also have this pair of 100# plates that have a much bigger diameter than standard 45s - he two hand pinched those as well - width of those is maybe 3 1/2" or so.

Chad has visited us about a half dozen times over the years. He gets larger and stronger each time I see him. I guess what the benefit of HARD work is all about. His improvement is steady, his excuses are none .I like the idea he has filled in any weak spots by solid training and is always humble enough to learn. I have really enjoyed seeing that young man go so far. RS

Well now I know why they are so hard to find, they are all at Sorinex, 30+ plates, wow! But, I still have to wonder if there would be more people doing it if there was more interest in the feat. I've got to believe a guy like Jedd Johnson could do it if he really put his mind to it, he probably just has other training priorities, Euro-pinch, blobs, etc. I also suspect Wade Gillingham could do it, 3 35s even if secured with a bar is still unworldly, mabye he just doesn't have the plates to try it with. What about David Horne and Brian Shaw? Same prob. the plates are too hard to find and too expensive to buy when found. $475 + shipping on Ebay as I write this.

Anyway, it would still be a very exclusive list, comparable to closing a CoC#4.

Thanks for the input guys, it's an interesting read.

• 2 months later...

i have 2 pairs of the deep dish york hub plates as well as a pair of paramont its mind blowing anyone can pinch these two with one hand you have to see them to believe it , the hub a bitch too they are a thing of bueaty

i have 2 pairs of the deep dish york hub plates as well as a pair of paramont its mind blowing anyone can pinch these two with one hand you have to see them to believe it , the hub a bitch too they are a thing of bueaty

This feat is one of the biggest if you ask me.

I am thinking of including a pair (Billards) in my medley this year - we will see. I have lifted them just barely off the floor a couple times now but have never really trained for them. I think I might have a chance at it if I worked them hard.

billards are much more manaagable in terms of thickness , yorks the original deep dish its just amazing i will measure them up , paramounts are close and those 2 are amazing pieces of steel

when is the us going to make some reel iron i love those things drove 5 hours each way to get almost got divorced but well wort it

Well now I know why they are so hard to find, they are all at Sorinex, 30+ plates, wow! But, I still have to wonder if there would be more people doing it if there was more interest in the feat. I've got to believe a guy like Jedd Johnson could do it if he really put his mind to it, he probably just has other training priorities, Euro-pinch, blobs, etc. I also suspect Wade Gillingham could do it, 3 35s even if secured with a bar is still unworldly, mabye he just doesn't have the plates to try it with. What about David Horne and Brian Shaw? Same prob. the plates are too hard to find and too expensive to buy when found. $475 + shipping on Ebay as I write this.

Anyway, it would still be a very exclusive list, comparable to closing a CoC#4.

Thanks for the input guys, it's an interesting read.

i totally agree but those mutants hands are 9 inches long no doubt they could do it but god it is amazing

I just found another pair of Schliers at PIA again yesterday - picked them up for $30 for the pair. I'm curious what the York's measure and how these compare.

I just found another pair of Schliers at PIA again yesterday - picked them up for $30 for the pair. I'm curious what the York's measure and how these compare.

How are the edges? The rounded lips on the Yorks are the thing that makes them so hard IMO

my yorks are 2.0 inches wide each.

I don't think it's the beveled edges that make them hard, I think it's the super thin lip where they come together.

I don't think it's the beveled edges that make them hard, I think it's the super thin lip where they come together.

Brent - these Schisler plates are 3 5/8" - if York's are 4" - they would be a good bit harder regardless of the lip or rim. My Billard plates are just a little over 3 3/8". The Billard's fit together better than the Schisler's but the Schisler's fit fairly well it seems - the rim isn't very wide but they are pretty flat - better on this last pair than the first ones I had. We can give them a try at Gripmas and see what you think.

I don't think it's the super thin lip that makes them hard, I think it's trying to line up the lips

I can try and remember to bring mine. when I was a really strong hubber I never even broke the ground with them. if someone there could do it I know the mental barrier would be gone and I could snatch them.

the do seem to have a steeper slope to the hub than others I have experience with.

Again it helps to "be there" the lips on an old York Deep dish 45 are thin and beveled like the end of your pinky. They were NOT machined on that lip so at places "high points" they touch and at others they don't. Chad did train hard to get them and his mastery is truly amazing. The Yorks DO differ form other deep dish plates of other brands quite a bit so be sure see for yourself. Ask the 2 hand pinch man Jedd if they as being reigning "king of euro plate pinch" didn't find them hard. You also can't lever into them or use any type of "English" to put them in a bind to lift them. Pure "quiet squeeze like hell then "easing" of them off the floor is what actually works. Those plates are what as a teen I lifted on and they are still used in our facility to get that good old time iron feel. I just love them! RS