Rt Handle Froze Up

IROC-Z

I've been a big fan of the "new" RT handle ever since it was introduced a few years back. The handle I have has thousands of lifts on it, and it has always spun just as free and smooth as the day I received it. I haven't been able to do any real training for the past couple months due to an injury, so all my grip equipment has been sitting unused. Yesterday while cleaning up some of my equipment, I grabbed my RT handle, and it is now completely froze up. It will turn if I force it, but it's pretty tight. I cleaned it up really well, and oiled it several times, but nothing seems to help. Anybody else have a similar issue?

I bought two of the new RT's. I train in my garage and noticed during summer that they became seized up and wouldn't rotate. I contacted Ironmind and they said to return both for repairs, which I did. IM paid for shipping both ways and now they both work fine. their customer service was excellent and they did not question me at all.

it seems the rubber/plastic/whatever sleeve expands in the heat and due to the lack of room to expand it wedges itself against the end of the handle. oiling won't fix it, they will need to be disassembled so the sleeve can have a few mm shaved off. just send them an email.

I just sent mine to them yesterday. I did not give them a "head's up", except I told Randy a few months ago that I wanted to get "some big numbers on it so I could brag about it" before I sent it to them for fixing. I am presuming that they would do something like chilliman described.

I imagine that they have now debugged their design. What was so strange is how it took such a long time for the devices to act up, and then when they did, "boom!", it came on real fast.

Thanks for the information, guys. I'll maybe try to shoot an email to IM this week.

• 3 weeks later...

I just sent mine to them yesterday. I did not give them a "head's up", except I told Randy a few months ago that I wanted to get "some big numbers on it so I could brag about it" before I sent it to them for fixing. I am presuming that they would do something like chilliman described.

I got my Rolling Thunder back this week. It looks like it will spin forever, as you can now see a bit of wiggle room between the edge of the handle and the metal cap, which seemed awfully tight before. In terms of "difficulty", it appears to be the way it was before it started locking up.

I didn't ask for it, but I now have a $6 credit for my having shipped it to them. Of any experience that I have had with IronMInd over the years, this appears to be the most "fair". When they originally "upgraded" the device a few years ago, I bought one, and for several months, that particular as I call it "Version II" existed. It was so radically different than the first version, that they quietly changed it and made what I have dubbed "Version III", a version that has pretty much been enthusiatically embraced. Somewhere I heard something to the effect that "they would exchange it for a new one" if you didn't like the "hard" one. I did. It was fine for more than a year, then suddenly locked up, as a did a number of other ones. I sent it in and they fixed it.

So I buy a product over two years ago, trade it in, get a new one, use it for a long stretch successfully, then send it back, and they fix it so that now it is like brand new, and I have a credit with them. As I said, I can't say it has been anything but fair.

In the meantime, yes, I now have a "Crusher" from FBBC as well. I like both of them and I am a happy guy.

I've oiled my RT several times since my initial post, and it now seems to have freed up quite a bit. Maybe a bunch of chalk dust was causing it to bind up???

• 1 year later...

I know this Thread is now 2 years old.

I purchased a RT new from Ironmind 2 years ago. Last year was no problem. But this summer starting around July the Handle is completely frozen. Some days I cannot force the Handle to rotate. It's not a chalk problem. I don't think the problem is caused by the heat, but rather the high humidity. (Most of the doors in the house are also stuck). I live in the State of Maryland, near the MD./PA. boarder.

Sounds like I should also contract Ironmind.

Gary Gray