Grippers And Grip Strength

bender

We all hear the phrase "he could bench 600lbs, but he couldn't close my #1 gripper".

One of my co-workers is 6'3, 265 lbs, thick and solid, but "he couldn't close my #1 gripper". I gave one to him to work with, and after a month, he still can't close it. No matter what he does, he's still about 5mm from closing it. I've showed him technique, placement, setting, but still it's 5mm away.

Today, he picked up a BBM(#2) off my desk, and crushed it... down to 5mm. I then took out the BBE(#3 ), and he crushed it down to about 15mm or so. A great performance, but "he couldn't close my #1 gripper".

Just an odd observation about body mechanics, grippers, and relative hand strength.

Muscles only get stronger over the range of motion in which we stress them. I can only think of two things the average man might be doing with his hands in the position of a closed gripper. Neither of them benefits from tremendous force. Why should we expect a big guy to be able to close a big gripper without training?

Why should we expect a big guy to be able to close a big gripper without training?

My point exactly.

Just like with everything-you need to specify. Sure-there are freaks out there that mash the #3 with no training-but if they ever want to close the #4-they will have to specify training on the grippers.

My father in law can close my filed #2. Granted-it has been used and abused and is much easier then my new #2-but he can still close it-which is damn impressive for a 60 year old mechanic. He didnt set it either. He is MILES away from the #3 though.

There are plenty of freaks out there that can yank big deadlifts without much training and bench press big numbers-but they usually fail at the squat. No where in real life/work do you ever really do a below parallel squat with any kind of weight-thus-to squat big, you gotta specify!

I have seen burly guys at the old lumber mill I use to work at outside of Brookville, PA pick things up that I though couldnt be done. Yet-when we would arm wrestle or one of them would go to the Y with me-I would kick their arse.

SPECIFICATION!

Rick Walker :rock

Give him a trainer and have him start doing strap holds. He could march right through to the #3 by the sound of things. Only really needs to bring his tight crush up to speed.

Mike M.

I am a big older guy, and without previous grip training closed a 2 first time. It fitted my hand perfectly in just the right place for maximum leverage. I have yet though to have anyone get even close on my #1.

Hey guys, what is the correct way to set a gripper could this be the reason i'm not closing the no.1? I mean i'm so friggin close that it seems impossible to close because my hand seems to be to small; but I guess i could be setting it wrong....right?

I felt the same way, when I was mm's from closing my #1. But when you have this far on a gripper, I dont think the size of the hands really matter.

Just train harder and NEVER give up. And you will close it! :D

don,

I have the solution: change your routine. :happy

Don, it may be that you're not setting it properly. Check out my two posts on that very topic. One is titled "It's Imperative", and the other is titled "What Is A Fair Close?".

Edited by eric milfeld

I don't set or use chalk, and I think this encourages the development of the sweep. I believe Terminator commented that training with out setting helped him develop his crushing strength. I wouldn't worry about setting until you are close to certification. The important thing is to develop your strength.

Most Coc's can't close a #3 with out setting the gripper.

I don't set or use chalk, and I think this encourages the development of the sweep. I believe Terminator commented that training with out setting helped him develop his crushing strength. I wouldn't worry about setting until you are close to certification. The important thing is to develop your strength.

Most Coc's can't close a #3 with out setting the gripper.

I disagree.

The set is finding your sweet spot. It's finding the best place in your hand for maximum leverage.

When talking to Joe Kinney, he said he spent plenty of time finding his "sweet spot".

Find it. Practice it. And practice it often.

Otherwise, it's like trying to shoot a free throw from 20 feet.

Yes...the SET is important...as i found out just yesterday the set is everything. :blink Can close a #2 for twice as many reps as i could before useing the set.Have not tried the #3 with a set.

Its loaned out to the Bigger family to see how many of them can do well at it.....I haven't told them about the set :whistel maybe i won't. ;)They don't utilize the internet..what they don't know can't hurt them :laugh

As a newbie i can tell you that it is hard to get the set each time too.Its frustrating to miss it but this further dramatizes how important it is!

I would think practicing without the set is a good 'exercise'as it is difficult...

I don't use chalk on any grip lifts or in any aspect of my training.

I mean i'm so friggin close that it seems impossible to close because my hand seems to be to small
Don I've been right where you are now. See my "last mm" post. As others have said, don't give up! After two weeks of getting frustratingly close (and battling a cold), I decided to shake up my training. I started doing a lot of strap holds with the trainer, I did my negatives by starting with a five second maximal-effort crush. I did a bunch of single close & holds on my G-Rex 621, using as much weight as I could bear and then another five pounds. After a week of this I took an extra day off and then closed the #1 as if it was the trainer. In fact, I closed it three more times that first day and haven't had a problem with it since. Strange how one day I can be pouring my heart and soul into closing the thing and can't and then three days later I am mashing the handles together. I can't say exactly which exercise got me over the hurdle but the most important thing was confidence that my training was going to work. BTW, my hands are 6 15/16" from finger tip to first line on my wrist, quite small. Edited by gollan

1. do you do the KTA

2. where's this G-rex thing

I do not currently do KTA but I don't want to discourage you from trying it. My reasons for not taking it up yet may not apply to you. Essentially I am a grip training beginner and I consider KTA's training volume to be more advanced than my current level. The G-Rex 621 is a grip machine made by Sorinex (http://www.sorinex.com/whatsnew20.htm). There was a recent topic on it in this forum. I have not had consistent access to the G-Rex 621 over the past couple of months which is a pitty because I think it adds a lot to my program. There is nothing magic about it though. Using it is hard work, just like all grip training.

2. where's this G-rex thing
Also take a look at PDA's Gripinator. I really like training on mine, and it really trains the sweep hard, if you use a long ROM.
The set is finding your sweet spot. It's finding the best place in your hand for maximum leverage.

Okay, I guess I do "set", but I can do it with one hand, because I have a strong sweep relative to my close.