Please Critique!

patrickmeniru

Hey guys,

I recently posted on the introduce yourself topic and was advised by Pete1006 to post a video of myself attempting the #3 gripper in order that you guys could give me some advice, i can shut the #2 easily but am nowhere near the #3. NB - video taken after a pretty strenuous gym/grip session so my hands are pretty beat up by this stage, in particular my left hand was struggling as you can see in the video, the #2 close was more difficult than it should have been and i gave up on the #3 attempt with my left hand. (I'm right handed).

Any feedback would be welcomed, i'm very new to the whole world of grippers and grip training, but i'm used to constructive criticism in sport so feel free to say it how it is!!

Pat

you should look at other videos of guys setting grippers before closing them. In that video you are basically do whats called a "no set". A set is when you use the other hand to bring the gripper handles together a little so you can wrap your fingers around for an attempt with one hand. Its very hard to "no set" a #3. also you should move the handle in your palm a little closer to your fingers so you have more leverage. If you pull your thumb forward while setting the handle in your palm will not slide back to much. you look like you are pretty strong. You just need to practice setting a gripper so you can get the best leverage. There are top grip guys like paul knight who have videos on youtube explaining gripper sets. check them out since they are best at it.

that vid taught me how to set.

Now with a Vulcan I have to learn all over. :blush

first link didn't work, copy this into your browser:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj9Ue9co4us

ya, the vulcan is a beast to set. I actually went out to the hardware store today and bought texture tape and wrapped it around the handles. The slick handles were killing me.

you should look at other videos of guys setting grippers before closing them. In that video you are basically do whats called a "no set". A set is when you use the other hand to bring the gripper handles together a little so you can wrap your fingers around for an attempt with one hand. Its very hard to "no set" a #3. also you should move the handle in your palm a little closer to your fingers so you have more leverage. If you pull your thumb forward while setting the handle in your palm will not slide back to much. you look like you are pretty strong. You just need to practice setting a gripper so you can get the best leverage. There are top grip guys like paul knight who have videos on youtube explaining gripper sets. check them out since they are best at it.

Yeah i knew i was no-setting the #1 and #2, i will work at the skill of setting the gripper, i think my problem was that i tried it a couple of times without success and thought that it was a technique that just didn't work for me rather than persevering until i got it right. How long do you think it will take to become reasonably proficient at setting a gripper, is it a skill that can be acquired in a day or two or are we talking about a longer timeframe to master the basic MMS set?

Yeah i knew i was no-setting the #1 and #2, i will work at the skill of setting the gripper, i think my problem was that i tried it a couple of times without success and thought that it was a technique that just didn't work for me rather than persevering until i got it right. How long do you think it will take to become reasonably proficient at setting a gripper, is it a skill that can be acquired in a day or two or are we talking about a longer timeframe to master the basic MMS set?

Everyone is different. shouldn't take too long. just some practice. You will get it. Good luck with your training.

Had another attempt at the #3 after a pretty tough workout, so i wasn't expecting anything, but i managed a decent set and lo and behold, managed to get it noticeably closer than parallel, although still nowhere close, so cheers for the advice. I'll post another video when i feel i've made significant progress.

Pat

nice work. you will closing it in no time. maybe buy a #2.5 and some other grippers in between the #2 and #3 if you haven't already.

Mmmm, i initially planned on just toughing it out and jumping straight from 2 to 3, basically because i'm on a student budget at the moment, but i'm starting to think that the £20 for the 2.5 will save me a lot of time in getting to my goal. I saw that paul knight managed to get straight from #2 to #3, but that was at 28 reps of the #2... I'm currently still making progress with my #2 strapholds and overcrushes and negatives on the #3 (last attempt at the #3 was 13mm or 1/2" away) so i think i'll hold out on buying a bridging gripper until my progress plateaus or slows significantly.

Unless you really think that i'll definitely need the 2.5, in which case i'll get it sooner rather than later so as to train as effectively as possible?

Advice is really appreciated as always!

Pat

strapholds, overcrushes, negatives and even choker work are all great training techniques. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have a #2.5, rb240, beef builder grand master, and a vulcan adjustable gripper which i used to fill the gap but I'm addicted to these things haha. I have a body building background so I like working as close to full range of motion as possible. My sets aren't even deep. you can check out my training log in the routine forum. I pretty much only use parallel or wider sets with multiple grippers.