Gillingham

Roark

His surgery went well. The tendon was completely detached from the bone. There was good tendon for reattachment so the same procedure was used as his opposite arm last year. He's already planning his training and rehabilitation.

Wade,

What types of preventive exercises can be done to keep from this happening? I just had a fellow strongman do the same two weekends ago at a comp. pulling a heavy deadlift.

Jason

I don't know. Brad's problem was he had bicep tendons that narrowed near the insert and there was thin spots - possibly from previous injury or just genetic. Magnus Ver always claimed hammer curls helped to reduce injury. Personally I think anyone that crosses over to strongman is at risk of tearing a bicep until they have been in the sport for a couple years. It is instinct to use your arms when you are doing odd lifts and this is a recipe for disaster. I tore a chunk out of my right one but luckily it was a minor injury. After a couple years in the sport I didn't feel the same strain on my biceps as I did first starting out.

And what's up with Magnus Samuelson. He was an arm wrestling champion when he first started, and now he's had two bicep tears?? Seems like the last to have such an injury.

I just want to keep it from happening if I can help it.

Jason

Edited by Fatboy250

I think that if you have any natural weaknesses in the biceps, years of heavy lifting are likely to find them out one day - especially if you add Strongman events, and especially if you try to use your arms too much/at the the wrong time (which will tear biceps even if you have no natural weak points). As for prevention, I would suggest strong biceps and good technique (genius, hey??) - Oh, and a lot of luck. Very important that. I partially tore my right biceps trying to hang on to the medium-heavy shrug that dislocated my shoulder.

Good luck to Brad on his recovery. I suppose having come back once it makes it a little easier when planning on coming back again??

Edited by The Mac

Gents, :cool

I have been doing what someone on some website, somewhere called "Magnus Ver" curls. They are hammer curls, except you curl to your opposite pec, close to your body. My bicep tendons were really sore frome doing brick lifts(see Brookfields grip tips at Ironmind.com), then I bought a 180lb. granite sphere from Atomic Athletic, and lifting that bothered them as well. So, after a couple of weeks off, I started the curling, and am making great rehab progress, and hopefully will prevent anything bad down the road.

Mike