Grip Gains Whilst Dieting

cookieinthewoods

Hi Guys,

I'm coming to the end of my first dieting phase, taking 4 weeks off, then starting phase 2. I've been doing some Fat Gripz work and blasting my Vulcan once a week to keep me ticking over. During my next phase I want to add a specific Grip day to training as I really miss it but want to ask

Q: Is there much point doing a specific grip day whilst dieting as my lower calories may limit progress? Or will it even risk injury/over training with me being on lower calories?

Anyone with any thoughts or experiences on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm currently in the middle of a cut and started about 7 weeks ago. So far I haven't experienced any strength losses either in overall strength or grip strength. I'd recommend you just see how you feel while training and if you need to back off a little then do it. I wouldn't completely stop grip training unless you're injured though.

I have made alot of my best gains in grip stuff while dieting. Unlike say the bench and squat, weight loss does not mean worse leverages or longer ROM. Also, losing a little bit of puffiness in the hands can actually help some grip stuff.

Of course, this is assuming no drastic weight loss or starvation. I have fluctuated between 205-245 in the last ten years with little effect on grip training along the way.

Couple thoughts.

Grip is mostly neural memory. Dieting doesn't usually effect max strength, but rather endurance, in my experience.

Also, I'd suggest a zig zag approach where you eat more going into a training session and eat less going into an off day, and unudlating back and forth to trigger better gains/losses.

Thanks everyone,

Encouraging and useful, I'll see how things go as of next week - cheers.

You didn't ask about bending strength when it comes to weight loss - but my best bends were done when I was lighter than now. Felt like I could get into position a lot easier when I was lighter.