Possible Future Grip Freak

Jedd Johnson

So, let's just say I have been DESPERATE for a training partner for years...

Up until 2007, I trained with several guys who were very strong and innovative and pushed me each workout.

We haven't trained together with any regularity since 2007. Gas got really expensive so I stopped driving the 1.5 hours to train as much and they NEVER came to my place, even when I built a garage addition and filled half of it with a gym.

So, I have put up posts on Facebook and on my website for a training partner multiple times. The only response I ever got from someone was from a guy in Georgia or North Carolina who thought I was advertising a distance-learning internship.

To get right down to it, I might have found a partner.

I have known this kid, Eric Lloyd since 2004/2005 when he was like a Freshman in high school. He attended a free workshop Diesel Crew held at the YMCA one year on the Squat. Now, 5 years later he is attending college and working in a stone quarry during the summer and has gotten to be quite a brute since I first met him.

This dude basically picks rocks and stones up in a pinch grip ALL DAY LONG. Cha-ching!!!

So I invited him over today and I put him through the ringer. About 5 different versions of Pull-ups, most using Open Hand Grip Gear instead of the normal pull-up bar, then chin-ups, then T-Bar Rows using the slickest black rope ever known to man, then one arm lat-pull-downs.

Dude never asked a question, never complained, never wanted to know why we were doing all this pulling, he just kept working his ass off.

I told him to pay attention to how his thumb worked to help his grip and this and that.

After all that volume, then we started on Grip.

The first thing I noticed was his thumb pad. Big. Bulbous. Awesome.

He took to the Vulcan used in WSH like a duck to water, closing it at level 3 with the Silver Black-dipped Spring, with a set which was terrible. He initially ignored all instruction. It was like dealing with John Eaton.

Then it slowly began to click. He was setting, swiping, and closing like a natural.

The biggest test was yet to come.

Now, I must say that I have handed number 1 grippers to many people only to watch them squeeze it like they were trying to squeeze a wet bar of soap, in clumsy, struggling, awkwardness. In all this time, only 2 or 3 people have closed the number 1 Gripper the first time they saw it when i showed it to them, with a set or without.

Eric hit it for at least 4 and maybe 5 repetitions. He pretty much kept going until I punched him in the shoulder, like a sixth grader punching his buddy on the playground in friendly excitement. I said, "DUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!"

I then took him through the Grip Topz. He did great on the Shallow Hub, lifting around 35 lbs. He did pretty well on the Half Penny as well, but by the time he got to the Stub, his thumb was pretty tired. Remember, this is all after a LOT of pull-ups done on Thick Bar Equipment.

I have high hopes that he will stick with it. He really seemed to enjoy the workout. I can see a Grip Group forming here in Wyalusing, which will be awesome!

I sent him off with a Stub Training device and a Number 1 to start grinding the handles on.

I'll keep you all posted.

Jedd

Awesome Jedd!

Sounds like you found a winner!

Keep him motivated and goal hunting and you'll have a training partner

for keeps.

Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Great story. Hope to hear future updates of progress.

sound like a up and coming gripster? great training regiment.

with a set which was terrible. He initially ignored all instruction. It was like dealing with John Eaton.

LOL

Jon@han

Eaton seems to have stellar technique on the things he excels at. How did he learn, osmosis? In fact, Eaton is the only person I know who improves solely on the basis of technique improvements, rather than training.

There's a good chance you finally found an ideal training partner Jedd. Hopefully he ends up being someone that pushes you to the next level of excellence.

I just like to take every opportunity to rib John Eaton. In this case I made the opportunity.

For instance, I am low on power steering fluid and my car is making a whining sound, sort of like John Eaton.

My back porch needs to be stained. It's starting to look like John Eaton.

Bee stings are annoying...

The people that come to yard sales are tighter with their money...

The list of potential ribs goes on and on, I know John reads them and yet he almost never responds. And not jut to the ribs, these days I rarely even get answers regarding whether he is coming to a training event, nationals, WSH, etc. I normally end up finding out the answer on the day before or the day of the event, or from someone else. It's become like clock-work now.

His lack of training doesn't bother me anymore. I understand how hard it can be to train regularly, especially with a garage right beside his bathroom door, the grip equipment that most people die to own and dream of having, the potential that athletes 20 years younger would die for.

Still wondering how much food to buy for Leg 2...

Bob Sundin, & Richard Bean are riding down with me for WSH Leg 2, they don't want to take a "wrong turn" and never be seen again :grin:

THANK YOU!!!!

What about that Adam guy? The one pulling the v-bar like a machine on youtube?

Bob, get ready to up the record. I am.

Word from Bean is he plans to come. Working on the others from Utica as well.

Bob Sundin, & Richard Bean are riding down with me for WSH Leg 2, they don't want to take a "wrong turn" and never be seen again :grin:

John I messaged you on FB chat to check w/ you re: Leg 3, I would like to do that so I can go head to head with the formidable young Daniel Reinard in Leg 3.

THANK YOU!!!!

Jedd, you better believe it. If conditions are good, both of us should break our respective records again.

Yeah, Vince Basile or something like that if I remember right. He built a device and put skateboard tap eon it or something. He's held that record uncontested for years. I remember that debate from back in like 2003, early on in United States organized grip competitions. He never competes in the recognized contests though.

Yeah, Vince Basile or something like that if I remember right. He built a device and put skateboard tap eon it or something. He's held that record uncontested for years. I remember that debate from back in like 2003, early on in United States organized grip competitions. He never competes in the recognized contests though.

I think it was the opposite of skateboard tape Jedd, something like polished stainless steel. Windex was de rigueur for hand prep.

John I messaged you on FB chat to check w/ you re: Leg 3, I would like to do that so I can go head to head with the formidable young Daniel Reinard in Leg 3.

THANK YOU!!!!

Jedd, you better believe it. If conditions are good, both of us should break our respective records again.

No pressure Bob but it would be a blast to go against you and meet you. The two US lightweights pushing to take home that title. That gets my adrenaline going just thinking about that comp.

• Like 1

THANK YOU!!!!

No pressure Bob but it would be a blast to go against you and meet you. The two US lightweights pushing to take home that title. That gets my adrenaline going just thinking about that comp.

Daniel, I look forward to meeting you as well. I like having pressure on me on things I'm good at doing, it seems to help my focus and performance. I typically do much better in competitions, unless an event involving the setting of grippers is involved. :trout My other three events were PRs.

That would be great if we were both in the hunt for the #1 spot at the end, although there's a chance you will already have the overall title wrapped up after leg two. I think it will be really fun, and will bring out the best in both of us.

That clinches it, I'm going to Leg 3 at Jedd's.

I doubt a clinch. If Pete refuses to take a lower than 2nd place I'll have to get a 1st and 3rd or better to win. The points drop off quick after 2nd place.

The only PRs I had were 1# on the coin and 18# on the 2HP but it wasn't much of a PR if I never max on it. Maybe you can inspire some PRs in me. :help:grin:

I doubt a clinch. If Pete refuses to take a lower than 2nd place I'll have to get a 1st and 3rd or better to win. The points drop off quick after 2nd place.

The only PRs I had were 1# on the coin and 18# on the 2HP but it wasn't much of a PR if I never max on it. Maybe you can inspire some PRs in me. :help:grin:

Daniel, you are so good all-around that you might be able to win without taking any real risks the rest of the way; I guess you'll know more after Leg Two. One reason I initially picked Pete to win was that he had more comp. experience than you, but you are handling yourself very well.

My PRs weren't huge, but I'll take them. Technically, I also had a competition PR on the Vulcan. :blush I noticed you beat me by like an ounce or something like that on the coin, and it made more of a point difference than you'd expect. These events are tough to strategize on, as it can be tempting to risk bombing out in order to approach your true ceiling.

I'm sure our competing together will inspire a PR or two and maybe even a 82.5k WR. ;)

It WILL inspire a record or two. 2HP of course, and possibly the stub. :whistel

These tiny friction lifts feel great up to 95% max then all of a suddon nothing. Very finicky. Stategy is huge.

We sure hijacked Jedd's thread huh?

I think it was the opposite of skateboard tape Jedd, something like polished stainless steel. Windex was de rigueur for hand prep.

Maybe it is a different guy then. Not sure.

I'd love to have him come and try out the Euro on Sept. 10 and Oct 8.

I looked it up, we're both right. Skateboard tape was used first by Vince and then he switched to the mirrored stainless steel pinching machine and Windex and posted a lot about "standardizing" the 2HP event.