Farmers Walk

Dan Cenidoza

Hi everybody!

Is the farmers walk meant to be a grip exercise? I'm thinking about getting some handles made and I'm wondering what size they should be. How about knurling?

If used as a grip exercise, consider it a 'clamp' lift- that is

a circular pinch lift-where you can just touch middle finger

to thumb tip (Fairbar).

If you use such a thick bar your grip will fail before your

other muscles.

Smooth is better than knurled for this purpose.

Load it as heavy as you can handle- no need to walk around the block.

Just my opinion.

It works your supporting grip-which is much different then a crushing grip. I dont like to walk as much as I like to load it up heavy-yank it up, then stand there shaking for as long as I can hold on.

Roark's idea is good as well-thick bar farmers will tax your hands in a much different way-

Rick Walker :rock

Guest viking power

The farmers walk as done more for my grip than any other exercise with the exception of the 3" bar work.

I use 1 1/4" handles which is a good size and common for competitions, I've also used 3/4" size handles which really toughen the hands for pain!!!!!

farmers are a grip exercise but they also work the entire body very hard. In my opinion stimulating the grip along with the body is the way forward. I feel you limit your grip strength if you just train grip and forget the rest of the body.

Did joe kinney not feel the need to incorporate lots of heavy squats as part of his grip training.

:) I do the farmers walk to help with my grip but as was said it probably develops supporting grip more. Try doing a variety of exercises inconjunction with the farmers walk for overall development. I like the farmers walk cause it taxes my whole body it seems along with my grip. No matter what it can only help overall.

I think it id a great grip exersize for the hands

and also a good lower back and leg workout

Matt

The gym I used to train at has a track around it's perimeter and on

days I deadlifted I would warm up by grabbing a pair of dumbells

off the rack and walked around the track with them. After 1 lap I

would go heavier and after 2 laps heavier still. By the 3rd lap I would

have to set the weights down for a few seconds and then continue on.

Three laps is all I did and it was a great warmup for the deadlifts.

I never failed a rep due to grip giving out.

I like the Farmer's Walk. I think, all-round, it is one of the very best exercises you can do, up there with squats and deads.

Edited by The Mac

I think, all-round, it is one of the very best exercises you can do,

For sure. It, along with swimming, is also the exercise that lets you know exactly how out-of-shape you are. ;)

Swimming is more of a cardio exercise, whereas the Farmers Walk is a weighted exercise working your entire body if the weights are heavy enough and the distance walked is long enough.

I don't mean to sound insulting to those that do swimming as exercise (it's great exercise), it's just that IMHO, I got a lot more out of doing heavy Farmers than I ever did swimming laps.

It's a great grip builder. Throw 300 or so on for each hand & either lift & hold (depending on your training area), or walk. It's not very hard to pick up as your starting point is much higher than a traditional dead. I've lifted 410 in each hand (not held it for more than a few seconds). The handle diameter on most implements is 1 3/8". Use 6" or smaller pipe, 8" will beat the hell out of your knees when walking. Also, as a grip aid from the Strongman events, lengthy sled drag made my farmer's shoot up.

Fat Bastard Barbell Co

I do the farmers walk with RT handles loaded to 40 lbs, then 50 lbs, and end with 60 lbs. going down my driveway (103') and back (206' total) for a great finish to my grip workouts. Taxes your grip and body to the max.

---------------------------

"Live long, stay strong"

John,

What day would you you do heavy Farmers Implement holds?

Would you do something that heavy on your deadlift day?

Or a seperate day?

410# a side :cool Cool.

One more question.The farmers are usually about 5 to 5 .5ft long?If you were to make them with 2 inch pipe and as you mentioned 1 3/8 handles- that are no longer than 6 inches -how high off the center pipe do you put the handles?

We have somew old school oxytanks now-not adjustable,250lbs,we have about 1 inch handle(ouch :cry -too thin) raised about 9 inches.

Use 6" or smaller pipe, 8" will beat the hell out of your knees when walking.

You mean put the handle no more than 6" away from the bar?

I do not live near a farm, but do have a side yard 25' x 120' I could use for farmer's walk. Perhaps in the middle of the night otherwise the neighbors would know I was insane!

:tongue

Use 6" or smaller pipe, 8" will beat the hell out of your knees when walking.

You mean put the handle no more than 6" away from the bar?

I think that John means to use no larger than 6" diameter for the cylinder/tubing of the implement. A larger diameter will bump into your legs as you walk.

BC.

Oh, I see. I'm planning on making loadable FW handles. Something like this...

4' piece of cold rolled steel 2" in diameter to load the plates on and attach the handle. Inner collars will be placed 1' in on each end, giving approx. 2' of room for leg stride and 2' for plates. Handles will be made from cold rolled, possibly stainless steel, 1" or 1 3/8" (depending on what my oly. bar at home is) unknurled and welded directly into the center of the bar, 6" high.

Any suggestions?

Tom,

you think 1" is too small? What's the width of most oly. bars? I'm thinking I should go with whatever my bar is, and I think it's 1". I've got other thick bars, so I'm not concerned about it in that sense.

Edited by Dan_C

Guest viking power

I have a pair with 3/4" handles and they do hurt :whacked 1" handles sounds fine.

I've also got a set with 1 1/4" handles. they feel very comfortable in the hand

Dan-

It depends upon your purpose for doing these. Initially it seemed that you wanted to do farmer's walk primarily as a grip exercise. If you've got a decent grip, and you use 1" handles, your body will certainly give out before your grip does if you're using a heavy enough weight. As a grip exercise I wouldn't use handles less than 2" diameter, but that's just me.

Another thing to mention if you'll be doing these primarily as a grip exercise: I'd give yourself more than 2' of walking room. At least 3'-4' is good. The longer they are the harder they are to control on turns, making your grip and wrists work harder.

BC.

Yeah..the one inchers I have seem to cut in to my hand just a tad too much...I'm guessing 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 would be a bit more comfortable??

I think most exercises you do with an O-bar are short duration-limited time in the hand?...so you(or I)don't notice it?

My thinking was the same(i.e. 1 inch would be ideal) five years ago when these were welded up but.....????? :unsure changed my mind. :)

The longer i hold it or futher I walk the more I notice the sensation of them cutting into my hand...I've picked up other farmers implements with the slightly larger handles and they immediately feel 'better'...I've use the same tanks-same weight for years.At first(when i weighed 65lbs less)I could barely stand up with them.Then i took a a step.Then a few steps.Then walked 10 ft...and so on.....now i go for short term sprints(fast walk-not running ) for speed or long walks for endurance.Same weight for 5 years.Sometimes holds for time- but the sensation of the thin bar gets to me before my grip goes.Oh well..

I'm sure what is comfortable for one mans hands may not be for another.It seems at most contests though they are the 1 1/4's" or the 1 3/8".....1 and 1/2"would probably start to tax my grip a Little bit before MY body would go...but to say a guy like Pfister?the 1 and 1/2 would be like holding a straw???

Guest O1d Dude

Anyone who thinks doing Farmer's Walks is not a whole body exercise has been doing them too heavy and/or not walking far enough.

1-3/8" diameter bars are a great compromise between a comfortable grip and a grip workout while doing weighted cardio. Anything smaller becomes an excerise in pain endurance and anything much larger is strictly grip work (timed holds).

Load up your weighted implements so you can *just barely* walk about 200' before the handles fall from your screaming nearly dead hands. When this becomes easy, add more weight.

Using a Trap Bar for Farmers Walks is not recommended as it will not swing naturally (handles aren't independent of each other) and can cause knee/ankle injuries.

Be careful making turns. You want to change direction by picking your feet up, not turning on a planted knee/ankle. Keep your head up too so you don't "walk into" the ground. This is not a time for distance event so don't run. Walk at an even pace. If you can only shuffle your feet, you're using too much weight.

Breathe.

For variation, try walking with heavy sandbags either bear hugged or one on each shoulder.

Following such a program with consistency will make you scary strong.

After doing heavy Farmers... take a swim! :laugh:D