Nail Question

EricMilfeld

I'm deliberating about what nails to purchase from IM. Is the blue intended to be an average 60D nail? Any insight on the difficulty of the yellow and blue, as well as their applicability for a nail newbie would be appereciated. Thnx

If you're only juste starting bending, I wouldn't buy the IM nails. Go to your local hardware store, and try different thicknesses.

The IM nails are a nice way to evaluate your level, but with all the steel experts around here (which I don't belong to) you don't really need them.

blue is supposed to be about medium tough for a 60d.

yellow is a longer blue.

just my opinion

david

Thnx David. I bought two nails sold as 60D from the hardware store today. One was an actual 1/4 by 6 inches, while the other was only 3/16 in thickness. I bent the latter quite easily, and only managed to kink the former. As a former carpenter, I know a bit about nails, and believe that true 60D to be above average in strength. So, I would like to be able to say I've bent the blue, and not knowing where I stand with my bending strength at the moment, I'm really just curious as to whether the yellow would be a waste of money.

If you want to buy one IronMind nail, buy 50 yellows and a bolt cutter. If you can kink a 60'd, the yellow should be bendable. Then, snip off 1/8" at a time (even if you feel you can cut off more!) and work down to a 6" length. That will be a "Blue" nail.

I do agree that you don't need the IM nails at all, unless you have the cash and the desire. Instead, buy a few pounds of that 3/16" nail, and bend them all. Enjoy bending nails. Just keep looking for different nails and bolts that are a bit harder, and keep working on your strength, form, and intensity.

The three different kinds of 60p I have bought are all tougher than IM Blue.

I would buy the Red nails, because they are a feat to train for. Most people can bend a blue unbraced with a few months training. I think you should train on cut lengths of HRS and try to work towards 60p and then the Red.

Robert

Thanks for the good advice, Bender and RSW. I'm going to do everything, starting with some more nails from Home Depot.

Eric,

Buy your 1/4" - 5/16"ths CRS at a steel stockists, afterall,

that's where the IM bag o nails will have come from in the

first place, they're just cut to size and painted.

More good advice. What size bolt cutter would I need to cut the 5/16 stock? Thnx

Edited by eric milfeld

Yea, stupid 60D calibrators...

What I've found from my 60D's:

180, 250, 270, 300. That's a bit of a range. And you found a 3/16" 60D??? "60D" doesn't mean much.

Any bolt cutter will work. The longer the handles, the easier. 24" works fine for me, and you never know if you'll need it some day...

If you buy your Bolt cutters new they say what they are reccomended for on the label (at least mine did). Get a pair suitable for cutting 5/16" stock at least. If you need to cut 3/8" and 1/2" you are a monster!

Edited by RSW