Substitute For Plate Pinch?

iMagnusX

Hi all,

I have been performing the beginner's routine, but I just moved to a new gym that doesn't have standard metal plates. Instead, there are rubber-coated plates with holes as well as bumper plates. Both plates have a distinct lip, although there is about a two inch space on the bumper plates where I could conceivably grip with just my fingertips and not gain an advantage. Would lifting in this manner be advisable? Or are there other ways to train the pinch grip that would be suitable for a beginner?

Thanks

Just buy your own plates and do that at home, you really wouldn't need that many to start off, try craigs list or a pawn shop, or play it again sports.

Rico

Just buy your own plates and do that at home, you really wouldn't need that many to start off, try craigs list or a pawn shop, or play it again sports.

Rico

Thanks for the advice. I noticed one other option at gym, however. There are kettlebells at my gym ranging from 8 to 70 lbs. Today I tried gripping one upside down for a few sets with each hand. I imagine I can just use a kettlebell that fits my hand and tie plates to it to progress. Would this work as a pinch substitute, or is blob-like training too advanced for a beginner?

You could do your best to not use the lip. Squeeze with your hand like you're making a sock puppet talk--dont dig your finger tips in.

Also you add some thickbar and get some of the same open-hand benefits. Get fatgripz and put them on everything. They're like Frank's Red Hot Sauce.

Or take an Olympic bar and brace one end in a corner. Load the other end with weight and grab on to the last part of the 2" end still sticking out. Lift the bar like a lever.

Just a wooden block with an eye bolt bro. Make different widths to train several hand positions. You can clip it to a machine or use climbing cord to tie weights to it for pinch pulls.

Just a wooden block with an eye bolt bro. Make different widths to train several hand positions. You can clip it to a machine or use climbing cord to tie weights to it for pinch pulls.

Thanks a lot. This is a super simple solution that I can take with me in my gym bag. Cheers!

I am also thinking about getting some fat gripz in the future...

Edited by iMagnusX