Axle Fun, ~400#

daniel reinard

I found an axle at one of my gyms and even though I lifted the day prior I still wanted to play around with that thing. After feeling whooped with a DO grip I went hook to see what it could do. I've only messed with hook once before on an axle I can get one finger onto the thumb nail, which proves to do quite a lot. This wasn't a max lift but it's close to my best on an oly bar. At this point I decided even the tiny hook was going to stick through much bigger weight. The bar wasn't 45# so maybe 35# or so?

I know hook isn't allowed, just having fun here. BTW, it isn't disallowed in the national rules. :whistel

Edited by daniel reinard

How do you HOOK? Is that with mixed grip one overhand and the other facing out? 400 is way up there. You will dominate at upcoming contests. I have yet to hit 300 but im very close to it.

How do you HOOK? Is that with mixed grip one overhand and the other facing out? 400 is way up there. You will dominate at upcoming contests. I have yet to hit 300 but im very close to it.

A hook can still be a double overhand grip but instead of the thumb going over the fingers you grab the thumb with the fingers. On an oly bar you can get tons of thumb and grip but on an axle I was only able to get this much, which still does plenty because my best pipe axle pull was 350 or 360 a few months back. Basically the weight of the bar drives the fingers into the thumb to increase grip. I'll have to try for a new PR on it with a no hook grip per contest rules.

photobucket-1562-1312391074819.jpg

WHAT THE HELL DAN!?

You're freakishly strong. That did not look very hard for you.

Matt, after our conversation at Nats I looked back at my logs and found I've been at DLs, and weights for that matter, for 4 months not 2. I do them once a week and on occasion I miss a week or two. My best oly DL pull is 405 and I'm currently pushing towards 455. The day prior to this I did 455 lockout work and two days prior to that I did a full DL session and barely missed 425 due to the shoulders not being 100% locked back (hence the lockout work). I'm starting to find a groove with DLs so I hope to nail 455, then 500 and eventually a 3x BW 530 sometime in this life. I'm really liking them and in all my oly DL training I only do a no hook DO grip. I firmly believe in testing grip in everything you can do, of course unless it's the bottleneck of the excercise.

I should be receiving a Plateau Buster soon so I'll mix that into this training. And 500# needs to come up because I'm still thinking about what I could have done if I didn't come in too early. :angry:

I've always liked the idea of hooked Axle Deadlifts (if you can do 'em), as well as hooked V-Bar lifts etc. Sort of like the "unlimited anyhow" version - just how much weight can be lifted using those things at the ends of your arms?

I would like to try that. I can double overhand grip lift he same amount on a regular bar as with a reverse grip, so with my large hads I should do well on a 2'' bar.

Well, there goes another myth busted. Great pull Daniel!

I would like to try that. I can double overhand grip lift he same amount on a regular bar as with a reverse grip, so with my large hads I should do well on a 2'' bar.

I'm sure you'd pull the same amount on axle axle with a hook grip knowing how you wrap on a RT. Even the slightest hook gives a huge advantage.

Well, there goes another myth busted. Great pull Daniel!

Thanks Mike. Having fun when I can.

I don’t think hand size is discussed enough on the gripboard so here is some discussion..

My hands are I think spot on 8" and has a wide span of 9.75". I put photos up in my gallery if any one cares. On the length I am not sure if you measure from the 1st or 2nd wrist crease. I tried to split the difference and measured 8&1/8th. Any how it is interesting to me that I have slightly bigger hands than Daniel but can’t quite wrap stuff as well as him. Photo attached.

With the axle and normal blob lifts it is clear Daniel is very strong in the hands but with the fatman face lift I think he may have some mechanical difference (on top of just being strong) in his hand that makes him extremely well able to grab thick things. Just a theory, I am in no way trying to minimalize his feats.

gallery_19587_1292_59263.jpg

re: the 400 axle lift and 400# dead lift period at your weight after only 4 months training.

you are a jerk

Edited by barbe705

I don’t think hand size is discussed enough on the gripboard so here is some discussion..

My hands are I think spot on 8" and has a wide span of 9.75". I put photos up in my gallery if any one cares. On the length I am not sure if you measure from the 1st or 2nd wrist crease. I tried to split the difference and measured 8&1/8th. Any how it is interesting to me that I have slightly bigger hands than Daniel but can’t quite wrap stuff as well as him. Photo attached.

With the axle and normal blob lifts it is clear Daniel is very strong in the hands but with the fatman face lift I think he may have some mechanical difference (on top of just being strong) in his hand that makes him extremely well able to grab thick things. Just a theory, I am in no way trying to minimalize his feats.

gallery_19587_1292_59263.jpg

I get that same wrap on that loading pin bro. And no worries about the hand discussion. I posted this vid to bring it up, dispell some myths and to have fun doing something new to me.

When it comes to blob face lifts I think I don't have crazy wrap but climbing gave me strong tendons so I can apply max power out to the end of the fingers, and climbing is finger tip related quite often so I maybe more used to something that stresses the hand that way. I know some people have claimed training for a face lift is very taxing and stressful on the joints, which I agree to a point as I felt it.

re: the 400 axle lift and 400# dead lift period at your weight after only 4 months training.

you are a jerk

I <3 you too Brent. :flowers: When I'm not sleeping at my desk, my job can be physical so maybe that helps?

When I get to try the axle I am not going to use a hook grip.

With 9" hands hooking won’t make much difference anyway.

I was just trying it to see what would happen. And you being darn strong should give some big numbers anyways.

No it wouldn't and I get to avoid the pain too!

No it wouldn't and I get to avoid the pain too!

Actually even when I could only squeeze the thumb nail, which sounds painful, wasn't painful at all. Slightly uncomfortable, yes, but no big deal.

The only time I've ever used a hook grip in my life was my freshman year of College when the strength coach challenged me to a impromptu 1H snatch contest. That was on a regular oly bar though. I can only dream of being able to hook on the axle since I can barely touch thumb tip to middle finger tip on that thing.

- Aaron

The only time I've ever used a hook grip in my life was my freshman year of College when the strength coach challenged me to a impromptu 1H snatch contest. That was on a regular oly bar though. I can only dream of being able to hook on the axle since I can barely touch thumb tip to middle finger tip on that thing.

- Aaron

Did you win?

Is the axle a full 2'' in diameter, or is it more like 1.9''?

2" exactly. I believe the ends are turned down slightly so all plates will fit, but not sure. The IM axle weighs 33#.

- Aaron

Did you win?

Tie, both of us pulled 185. I was about 6' 230#, and he was 6'4 275. I had to hook to get over 175, and boy it felt like it was about pulling my thumb out of socket with 185