Help With My Sasuke(ninja Warrior) Training

noogers

What's up people, I just found a link to this site from beastskills.com and thought it might be a good place to seek some guidance in the grip aspect of my training for Ninja Warrior.

I've been training for Ninja Warrior for about 6-8 months now, I feel very strong but I still have a ton of work to do. For those of you who are not familiar, here is an example - although it's actually gotten much harder since

Most of my grip training has been hanging/climbing a grip board which is about 1 inch pieces of wood, rock climbing/bouldering with just my hands, climbing back and forth on I beams with just my hands, climbing ropes with just my hands... along with pull ups and variations such as pulling from towels, and dead lifts etc. I also have this pretty weak gripper, no idea what it is tho - can do about 75 before it gets painful then stop at 100.

So hopefully some of you can give me a little advice on how to move forward, should I do more work with grippers? Should I get a harder gripper or do massive amounts of reps with an easy one?

Many thanks.

What's up people, I just found a link to this site from beastskills.com and thought it might be a good place to seek some guidance in the grip aspect of my training for Ninja Warrior.

I've been training for Ninja Warrior for about 6-8 months now, I feel very strong but I still have a ton of work to do. For those of you who are not familiar, here is an example - although it's actually gotten much harder since

Most of my grip training has been hanging/climbing a grip board which is about 1 inch pieces of wood, rock climbing/bouldering with just my hands, climbing back and forth on I beams with just my hands, climbing ropes with just my hands... along with pull ups and variations such as pulling from towels, and dead lifts etc. I also have this pretty weak gripper, no idea what it is tho - can do about 75 before it gets painful then stop at 100.

So hopefully some of you can give me a little advice on how to move forward, should I do more work with grippers? Should I get a harder gripper or do massive amounts of reps with an easy one?

Many thanks.

Well, that a nice sport you want to enter in.I think you should do alot more bodyweight training stuff! For this type of event.Since that

it involve your own bodyweight.Add some thick grip pull ups and finger tip push up.I kinda of use parkour training.That

would help out also!

Edited by BionicMan2K&Beyond...

Many thanks.

If you read the book Performance Rock Climbing by Goodard and Neumann (one of the best training books I have read by the way) they talk about how blood flow begins to decline at around 50 or so percent of your maximum strength. So the conclusion is to raise your maximum strength level - which raises your 50% level - which raises your endurance sort of by default. A bad explanation but probably good enough until you can find the book at the library.

I would train with a load while doing the climbing and hanging events. In other words, in the specific event, if you weigh 150-lbs, train with a weighted vest or ankle weights in order to make yourself feel heavier during your specific preparation.

I am sure you have thought about this, but also try to build all of the equipment you will have to work with in the actual competition. There is nothing that compares with knowing how everything really feels.

You can also mimic the climbing events using a loading pin and trying to hold them aloft for time. For instance, I know at one time you had to grip onto what looked like drapes and move laterally. You can loop a similar material, perhaps denim, through a carabiner attached to a loading pin and hold it for time.

Hope this helps - I obviously have never done this, but thinking about it like a strength coach, these are the things that came to me.

Jedd

Noogers, is that you in the clip?

I love that stuff. My kind of bodyweight training right there.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I've been building some of the obstacles and finding things that are very similar to practice on. I've also been adding weight, mainly by holding weights in between my feet while doing the climbing exercises. Finger push ups and thick pullups would definitely help, I'll try them.

Which grippers would you guys recommend I get? I was checking out the post "What gripper should I get" in gripper faq but I don't really know what level I'm at. My grip is pretty strong from 6 years of lifting and and my climbing - but I'm not sure how that is going to translate to grippers. I suppose I should get one for reps and one that is much harder?

btw Jedd your Diesel Crew web site has a broken link - the Forum button goes to "http://www.dieselcrew.com/forums" while the actual page doesn't have the S after forum. Great site tho.

Go hypergravity bro, either a weighted vest or ankle weights. The ankle weights might not be as heavy but they'll add core stability which translates to better efficiency at those events. After weighted training your body will feel like a feather, and as Climber said, you'll actually increase you're endurance through strength. I'm not so sure grippers would help you much compared to weighted specific event training.

Very cool stuff!

Thanks for the replies guys,

I've been building some of the obstacles and finding things that are very similar to practice on. I've also been adding weight, mainly by holding weights in between my feet while doing the climbing exercises. Finger push ups and thick pullups would definitely help, I'll try them.

Which grippers would you guys recommend I get? I was checking out the post "What gripper should I get" in gripper faq but I don't really know what level I'm at. My grip is pretty strong from 6 years of lifting and and my climbing - but I'm not sure how that is going to translate to grippers. I suppose I should get one for reps and one that is much harder?

btw Jedd your Diesel Crew web site has a broken link - the Forum button goes to "http://www.dieselcrew.com/forums" while the actual page doesn't have the S after forum. Great site tho.

Thanks for the compliments on the site. We took the forum down a year or more ago and just haven't changed that button.

I would favor a weighted vest over holding things between your feet. Holding things between the feet will engage the lower body and make you tense up while you do the drills. It seems like you would want a more natural feel to the rest of your body. Just an opinion, I have not done much climbing like that in my life. I do however strongly feel that loaded work will go a long ways.

Jedd

Go hypergravity bro, either a weighted vest or ankle weights. The ankle weights might not be as heavy but they'll add core stability which translates to better efficiency at those events. After weighted training your body will feel like a feather, and as Climber said, you'll actually increase you're endurance through strength. I'm not so sure grippers would help you much compared to weighted specific event training.

Very cool stuff!

Danial - have you read Performance Rock Climbing - I recommend it if you haven't - there are a few keepers in it.

Very cool stuff!

Danial - have you read Performance Rock Climbing - I recommend it if you haven't - there are a few keepers in it.

I haven't Chris, but at your recommendation I'll hit up the book store. Sounds like a good read.