Ca Grip Comps

daniel reinard

I'm looking to get some comps rolling in the S.F. Bay Area. There has been a few guys that said they wanted to compete and I know I want to as well. I also have gym member interest growing so I anticipate some new gripsters wanting to compete. Currently the local comp is the SoCal Meltdown in southern Cal once a year. (work kept me from it this year :angry: ) I don't know of anything else available to the West Coast. Ideally I'd like to do 2 comps a year in the Bay Area, one in Nov or Dec and one in Spring. So those of you that wish to compete or qualify for Nationals should let me know.

I'm also looking into the WSH for THIS year. If there is immediate interest and several for sure competitors I'll see about hosting. David Horne will have to approve of course, but I need to make sure people will show up. If not I'm getting on a plane to Tuscon for the "local venue".

I have never seen much interest in grip in Northern California, and have been tuned into the situation for 7 years. The San Bernardino contest was postponed, will happen in October probably. There was a core group of guys that used to contest in Northern LA, but that has not happened for years.

There were a few grip gatherings at Dale Harder's house in 2004-2005. He lives in Castro Valley. He does not participate, but doesn't mind hosting these things, has a cement floor basement with lots of weights, and the largest collection of Dynamometer Readings from real people, from nobodies to childre to Olympians to Highland Games types, I will speculate of any strength enthusiast on the planet. I may have mentioned this before. As far as "what is in it for him", he publishes a strength newsletter, so he is always looking for ideas for articles. At one time I had every issue of his newsletter, wrote for it maybe 5 issues, but have not kept contact with him much the last 3 years. Keep saying we will have some kind of gathering, but have not.

I have not had that much interest in the WSH comp, but if it is at Dale's house, I might be interested in pursuing it. It is about a 90 mile drive for me.

Nice of me to be volunteering on the Internet the use of his place, eh? :whistel But for me, an extra 40 or 50 miles is a big deal. I am not a fan of full day commitments, which I really am only willing to do about once per year. This would probably translate into less than a full day for me. I could probably drag my son and a powerlifting buddy of his as well. They are deadlifters and Number 2 closers. Not their cup of tea, but my son likes Dale, so we could possibly pump up the attendance.

As far as I know, the venues for WSH 2011 are now fixed, i.e. no more can be added.

With two weeks to go, makes sense.

As far as I know, the venues for WSH 2011 are now fixed, i.e. no more can be added.

With two weeks to go, makes sense.

I was going to leave that part up to David as long as there were a few committed to a local WSH venue.

I would like to have a CA WSH venue next year regardless.

I have never seen much interest in grip in Northern California, and have been tuned into the situation for 7 years. The San Bernardino contest was postponed, will happen in October probably. There was a core group of guys that used to contest in Northern LA, but that has not happened for years.

There were a few grip gatherings at Dale Harder's house in 2004-2005. He lives in Castro Valley. He does not participate, but doesn't mind hosting these things, has a cement floor basement with lots of weights, and the largest collection of Dynamometer Readings from real people, from nobodies to childre to Olympians to Highland Games types, I will speculate of any strength enthusiast on the planet. I may have mentioned this before. As far as "what is in it for him", he publishes a strength newsletter, so he is always looking for ideas for articles. At one time I had every issue of his newsletter, wrote for it maybe 5 issues, but have not kept contact with him much the last 3 years. Keep saying we will have some kind of gathering, but have not.

I have not had that much interest in the WSH comp, but if it is at Dale's house, I might be interested in pursuing it. It is about a 90 mile drive for me.

Nice of me to be volunteering on the Internet the use of his place, eh? :whistel But for me, an extra 40 or 50 miles is a big deal. I am not a fan of full day commitments, which I really am only willing to do about once per year. This would probably translate into less than a full day for me. I could probably drag my son and a powerlifting buddy of his as well. They are deadlifters and Number 2 closers. Not their cup of tea, but my son likes Dale, so we could possibly pump up the attendance.

Oh, I thought I missed out on the San Bern. contest. It will be tight to get time for it in between my AZ travels for the WSH but if work allows I'll make the big drive from S.F. I think I've hyperconsumed my vacation for the year. :upsidedwn

I've only been in grip for the last year and I'll agree there isn't much interest up here for it. But I think that's due to it just not being around. I've been working with my gym to raise interest by holding little grip challenges after climbing comps. And the manager (Hans Florine) wants to hold some grip classes and do his own comp this year. If my gym enjoys the challenges enough I can spread to the other 5 climbing gyms across the bay. Each location holds at least two open door climbing comps a year where anywhere from 200-400 people compete per event. That's a lot of exposure. Recently I was at the Berkeley location and the gym staff recognized the CoC grippers I had and they mentioned they train regularly on an axle. :mosher Currently, I have a strong guy that wants to compete. He's got talent. #2.5 closed, pinched 2x35 first time and was hopping a slick blob first time. mpc is a new grip guy in Sac that wants to compete in coming months and is wanting to do 2012 WSH. There is Kevin Collen in S.F. that is excited to compete and he trains with a fellow that closes a #3 so I think he'll bring him. I believe Kevin and his friend are PL guys. I think this is enough to start somewhere. If things go as intended more will come.

I'd be down to drive south for comps. It beats all the plane tickets I'm buying this year. As it stands now I'll do another grip challenge at the next local climbing comp in October. I then hope to do a contest in Nov or Dec at the gym. And then I'd like to do another in Spring. I think at that point it'll be obvious if the interest is there or not.

I would also attend any contest in Calif. or Wash. let know if you need any

help with eqip. I have a large collectin of calibrated grippers and other gear

I could bring

I will definitely plan for any dates in 2012 in nor cal and WSH.

Awesome guys. :mosher I'm aiming for a Nov or Dec comp and will post on developments.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to the gym manager (Hans Florine Diablo Rock Gym Concord, CA) and he wants to put on a grip contest as well. Details need to be worked out but we're still aiming for Nov or Dec.

Any events you guys want to see? It can be up to us what we want. Part of the goal would be to have some lifts that would help qualify one for Nationals.

I have a 2HP, Vulcan V2, Griptopz, an axle, Plateau Buster, RT, IM hub, and a few random items such as blobs, Inch trainers, unbraced and braced bending stock, sledges, and a pinch adapter for the Vulcan (ttk equiv). My gripper collection is small, mostly filed, and not rated. :blush Hence the Vulcan.

Based on what I have, not sure what anyone can bring, I'd probably pick the Vulcan, 2HP, Griptopz Shallow Hub (better than IM hub imo), and the axle.

Thoughts...

Daniel,

Just food for thought, you promised me you were going to go to Gripmas this year, so that date you are not available.

Daniel,

Just food for thought, you promised me you were going to go to Gripmas this year, so that date you are not available.

Lol, I wish I could go. 5 plane tickets and all that vacation is a stretch. I think I've already hyperconsumed all my vacation this year. If I knew I'd get into grip I would have planned for it. I know its an event I don't want to miss.

The plan is i'll hold WSH in CA next year so I only need to fly for Nats and Gripmas.

Anyone know what kidneys go for? Maybe i'll make it this year. If I can muster some cash and some time off it's on.

Kidneys...not too much. You're better off selling meth I think.

• 3 months later...

Currently trying to set a date in January for a comp. One should be locked in very soon.

Events look to be grippers/vulcan 20mm block set (probably vulcan), 2HP, IM axle, and a good sized medley.

Location would be Concord, CA.

The date chosen if Feb 10th. I'm just waiting to verify I have gym space with the gym manager.

TSGs looks to be a go, we have a decent selection for a small comp. All good quality grippers and rated. This is the prefered choice over the Vulcan.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know of some grip comps that will be in Cali this year? At peoples houses etc? I would love to go and watch. I am currently in Oakhurst, Ca.

Why would you watch, when you could compete? You will learn and experience infinitely more by participating.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you watch, when you could compete? You will learn and experience infinitely more by participating.

Ok... sounds good.. good point! I am looking forward to the next one

By the way.. hi Bencrush.. I have been out of commission for a long time... healing up and feeling better

• 3 weeks later...

You're about a 3 hr drive from where we do comps a few times a year. PM me. Talk of the next comp date is still up in the air.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'll be holding a local King Kong grip contest venue in Concord CA at Diablo Rock Gym. See the recent thread on that multi location event. It'll just be a $5 entry fee with all weight classes contended.