Fatman

Cannon

So, if your eye is not trained and you do not know by the feel, if all you see is the number side, you can't really go by the absence of USA, because that head never has USA, again, insofar as my information has told me.

I wanted to ask about this. I have a number side with USA on the bottom..:unsure

edit: hold that thought. I'll double check tonight. But I'm fairly certain it's there.

Nope, 100 side, and no USA stamp.

Does anyone know the handle thickness of the legacy blob?

The handle diameter or "width" on a fatman is 1 1/16 and on a 2nd generation "USA" is 1 1/8. And yes I did measure 2 different fatmans and 2 different 2nd generation "USA" blobs to make sure my memory was correct.

I hope this clears up any confusion as to what you have.

The handle diameter or "width" on a fatman is 1 1/16 and on a 2nd generation "USA" is 1 1/8. And yes I did measure 2 different fatmans and 2 different 2nd generation "USA" blobs to make sure my memory was correct.

Now I’m more confused LOL. I got a York side no USA (fatman) with what appears to be even curves on each side (fatman) and a 1 1/8 handle (2nd gen) Any Way I’m happy with it. Its a big 52.5790 pound - ugly hunk of steel that I can't yet lift but will someday. :rock

Now I’m more confused LOL. I got a York side no USA (fatman) with what appears to be even curves on each side (fatman) and a 1 1/8 handle (2nd gen) Any Way I’m happy with it. Its a big 52.5790 pound - ugly hunk of steel that I can't yet lift but will someday. :rock

With only 1/16" difference you could probably blow the measurement very easily. I'd go more by the profile. I remember the guys I used to pour concrete with said a tape could grow an 1/8" on a hot day. I never really understood this but they all hated state jobs, even though they paid a ton more because the tolerances were so tight and they would always get into it with the inspectors over stuff like this.

I just measured my Fatman and 2nd gen...the handles on a caliper were exactly the same, 1.1" and change. Something I did discover, besides the obvious of the Fatman being wider, was that it was taller! (or wider if you go by the face) My fatman weighs 52# and the 2nd Gen weighs 50.8#. Both are York side, with the USA only on the 2nd Gen. So overall mine is in every way bigger than the 2nd Gen.

Keep in mind guys that these things are old! They must vary and quality control was much different back then.

With only 1/16" difference you could probably blow the measurement very easily. I'd go more by the profile. I remember the guys I used to pour concrete with said a tape could grow an 1/8" on a hot day. I never really understood this but they all hated state jobs, even though they paid a ton more because the tolerances were so tight and they would always get into it with the inspectors over stuff like this.

Ya I agree. My mic is accurate but the tiny bit of handle could easily deform when they rammed it in or when it was ground off etc. My hex handles vary a lot too. I have a STATE job BTW. That must be why I weighed my blob to the 10,000th of a pound on the lab scale(for real).

Before this thread got started, I would have sworn with 100% certainty that the dumbbells I saw were stamped on the number side, but if nobody has even a single example of a number side blob with USA on it, then I will have to concede the obvious, apparently I saw the only set of York dumbbells in existance anywhere with USA stamped on the number side! Or I got confused. Not to worry though, I'm sure this kind of thing will happen less often as I get older and wiser. :whistel

If I understood Jedd correctly, I believe it can not be both a blue blob and a fatman. Also, the pic of the blue blob Jedd posted is clearly not a fatman.

Jad, you're right, it is a transitional piece, the handle measures 1 1/8 inches like a 2nd gen blob, but it weighs 52.2 lbs, give or take a tenth, and has a fairly wide profile to it.

I would post a pic, but apparently confusion is setting in again and I haven't quite figured out how yet. As you can see, I have slightly fewer posts on this board than you.

Jedd, now you've got me second guessing myself a little. All of my blobs are (or at least were advertised as) Fatman style, unstamped, one "York " and three "Number" sides, including my 50 (which btw is also a Blue blob). Like Cannon I have been under the impression that unstamped blob = fatman blob, with the inescapable logic being that a second gen. dumbbell must therefore be stamped on both heads. So when I saw some York dumbbells at Play-it-again (60s, 65s, and 70s) I was quite supprised to see that they had "USA" on only one head, meaning that you could have an unstamped blob that was still a second gen blob.

Now I cannot say that I clearly remember that the "USA" was on the number side, but I do clearly remember that from that day on I have wondered about my "York" side blob and not any of my "Number" side ones, which would be the natural conclusion of seeing "USA" on the Number side of the dumbbell. Hopefully someone can clear this up with a positive example.

As far as the "USA" being a stamp and not part of the mould, I am just guessing on that one, I don't know anything about casting metal either. (as I recal, it did look as though it had been stamped into the metal though).

Again, hopefully Richard will step in and educate all of us a little more about blobs.

Mike the stamp wich is most likely part of the mold. I would guess, can only be on the york side, I would wonder about your numberd sides since they are not stamped in either generation.

Rico also has anyone measured said fatmans to see if their handles are 1" and then compare that to the width of a 2nd gen handle?

No argument here Parris, I really have no idea. If it is part of the mould it probably would appear on the york side every time like you say. (unless they made new molds at some point)

I measured the handles on all of my blobs and they were 1 1/16 for my 40, 45, and 47.5, and 1 1/8 for my blue 50.

I guess I should also point out that the 50 lber was advertised as a Blue blob on ebay a year or more ago when I bought it (the York side of that same dumbbell was also available). Not being an expert I really don't know if it is or not one of Richards "rare blue blobs", but it definitely has a dark blue color to it, quite distinct from the more typical brown color of my other blobs or black of my blob50. I have to be careful what I say here as I have no videos to prove any claims that I might make (yet), but the Blue blob is going to be far more difficult to lift that my blob50, they are in completely different leagues. I wonder what Jedd's impression of Richards Blue blob is?

If I understood Jedd correctly, I believe it can not be both a blue blob and a fatman. Also, the pic of the blue blob Jedd posted is clearly not a fatman.

The Blue Blob, per Richard Sorin is indeed narrower than a Fatman. He actually indicated it was "in between the Fatman and Next Generation blobs in size, somewhere in the middle. Good point.

Thank you!

I just measured my Fatman and 2nd gen...the handles on a caliper were exactly the same, 1.1" and change. Something I did discover, besides the obvious of the Fatman being wider, was that it was taller! (or wider if you go by the face) My fatman weighs 52# and the 2nd Gen weighs 50.8#. Both are York side, with the USA only on the 2nd Gen. So overall mine is in every way bigger than the 2nd Gen.

Keep in mind guys that these things are old! They must vary and quality control was much different back then.

Good point on the Fatman Blobs being taller. As I have indicated, I don't think I have ever been able to face lift a Fatman - at least I do not remember doing so. They are harder for me and this is probably the reason why - across the face they are larger (taller when sitting up on their flat protion).

I wonder what Jedd's impression of Richards Blue blob is?

It was pretty easy for me to lift, to be honest.

Jedd

Jedd lifts them all easy so I wouldn't really read too much into that :laugh On a more serious note, I think the texture is a FAR more important variable than the shape. Wade's glass slick 2nd gen blob is much harder than a fatman IMO.

Jedd lifts them all easy so I wouldn't really read too much into that :laugh On a more serious note, I think the texture is a FAR more important variable than the shape. Wade's glass slick 2nd gen blob is much harder than a fatman IMO.

Great point.

Two identical weight and shape blobs, the slicker one is going to be tougher.

A rough Fatman could be easier than a slick Blob50.

Very true. If you can lift a slick blob they all feel a ton easier. So anyone who is training blobs, if you can stand that thick layer of paint you might have on yours, keep it there.

• 4 weeks later...

The handle diameter is the real key to new and old Blobs the Fatmen were(about 1 1/10") by measure 1.085" the thicker handle second "new" generation blobs are (about 1 3/16") 1.085 or a bit over 100 thousanths larger. . To a trained eye the cut handle area looks "drastically larger" than the smaller almost " too small" looking handle stub of a Fatman. I guess you saw for yourself that the 50lbs in weight didn't change in the old to the new Blob but, the shape change is what all the difficulty is about. Lifting the Original blob has NEVER been "easy" for me but the modern new blobs can really be manhandled due to their easier to grip shape.I think it was a good comparison to see me on the same day addressing both and the "relative" difficulty.

The famous "Blue" is a new second generation with a 1/3/16" handle 1.194". It was only made for a short time as an "experiment" for York to crash into the chain store/ non black iron market. The other half of the Blue was sent as a gift to Scott Safe who had a "kid with a strong grip" (Wade Gillingham) that he thought "could do it". Wade wound up with the Blue and thought it was some kind of slippery paint or joke I was playing so he sanded and repainted the thing..... ah ,history lost. I dont know if he still has that one.

Still, people make the treck here and try to conquer the Fat iron where it all started and be on the short OB honor roll. Men that come to mind are Bob Sundin, Jedd, Big Rich,Andrew Durinait, Tex, House Wilson, Chad,Rex Hubbard and a close (my carpet still has the cut in it)miss by Dave Lemansyk . Years back I think we had a strong handed guy working for us(a COC) Jake Brooks that tried it EVERY day and I think might have lifted it after 2 years of trials. Thanks for asking! RS

Oh, Two things I forgot...I NEVER have seen an old ,first generation Blob marked USA(on the YORK end) , and I am so glad Jedd under the influence of spirits and big iron forgot "most of what I said" He is already the one stop shop for grip knowledge. Got to let him work for the "last bits". The saying "I taught you everything you know...but not everything I know" comes to mind.lol

Big names on that list. Thanks for that Richard. Hopefully some day I can visit and give a go at the original blob and check out your facility.

How many have lifted your fatman blobs by the face?

When talking to Jedd he mentioned he hadn't done a fatman by the face. I'm sure he could knock it out though. And the guy called me a bastard for lifting mine the day it came in the mail. But I think he meant it with love.

I'm also curious about bigger blobs out there. David Horne has a 30kg one he aims to do some day. I'd love to find a massive blob as well but might end up having to cast one instead. Know of where I can get a massive blob Richard?

Making a home made one doesn't lay claim to a great feat because there are so many things that can change the difficulty and merit one way or another. . If it is not a genuine York end of old or new generation 100lb. dumbbell you are just lifting a 50+lb. block. Do your homework, go on the quest and find a Fatman, Leave it in it's original found condition and when you can lift it then get a strap or rope and add weight (be sure weights on each end of rope clear the floor at the start) This will prepare you for the day you wish to try the Original.....It is here waiting for you.........RS

Making a home made one doesn't lay claim to a great feat because there are so many things that can change the difficulty and merit one way or another. . If it is not a genuine York end of old or new generation 100lb. dumbbell you are just lifting a 50+lb. block. Do your homework, go on the quest and find a Fatman,. Leave it in it's original found condition and when you can lift it then get a strap or rope and add weight (be sure weights on each end of rope clear the floor at the start) This will prepare you for the day you wish to try the Original.....It is here waiting for you.........RS

Richard, I do have an original fatman that was once owned by Weldon, and given to me as a prize at this years Nationals by Farm Strength. When it arrived to my house I face lifted it and regular lifted it that same day. Jedd can attest. I also have a 2nd gen blob and without any block or blob training lifted it both hands and a couple days later gave it clean and presses. Both blobs i own have not been altered by me in any way, and actually my 2nd gen is a slick SOB which makes for a challenge. I was looking for a bigger challenge since these two were not a challenge for me. I've heard of 30kg york blobs but I am not sure i'll be able to get one any time soon. Hence the idea to start casting bigger blobs. If there are 60# or greater yorks out there I'd love one. That's my first choice, but one has to do what they can. I'd be honored if you checked out my youtube page name dwreinard. On it are my blob lifts of which there are a few.

Edited by daniel reinard

So I guess my questions still stand.

How many face lifts have been done on a fatman?

Where can I get a york blob that's bigger than a fatman?

Not many face lifts on a Fatman. 6-8 I would guess. I made it having just under 8" hands which did give me some trouble. I think the rest of the crew had "big 8 1/2 to 9" mitts. York never made until recently solid dumbbells over 100. The Legacy stuff they have goes heavier but I have no comment since I have not seen or want any of their recent dumbbells. If you want a real challenge start using the thumb and combinations of fingers on the Fatman in both face and pinch lifts. I did for a bit (one day) do snatches and down to two finger and thumb snatch with a second generation Blob. If you can do any of that with a Fatman you sir, will be a bad ass.

Not many face lifts on a Fatman. 6-8 I would guess. I made it having just under 8" hands which did give me some trouble. I think the rest of the crew had "big 8 1/2 to 9" mitts. York never made until recently solid dumbbells over 100. The Legacy stuff they have goes heavier but I have no comment since I have not seen or want any of their recent dumbbells. If you want a real challenge start using the thumb and combinations of fingers on the Fatman in both face and pinch lifts. I did for a bit (one day) do snatches and down to two finger and thumb snatch with a second generation Blob. If you can do any of that with a Fatman you sir, will be a bad ass.

Thanks Richard. Yeah, I haven't given any thought to the Legacy's either, maybe for a similar reason. Maybe that 60kg york I heard of was a legacy. I'm not sure.

If there is nothing bigger than what I have than I will work on these as you prescribe. Although making a wicked big blob still has an appeal to me. I have not tried 2 finger lifts on the fatman, just the 2nd gen and just as well with the clean and press, just the 2nd gen. Looks like I have a goal to clean and do 2 finger lifts on the fatman.

Daniel,

Have you seen these: http://www.heavygriptools.ch.vu/, click on the news tab.

I have heard that they don't ship to the US, but if you are really determined you can probably find a way to get one.

Richard,

Have you ever tried one of the Blob50,s? If so, what did you think, how did they compare with other Yorks you have lifted?