Regional Champions

Jedd Johnson

I've been thinking about something recently with the upcoming World's Strongest Hands...

Why can't we use this series of contests as some form of Regional Qualifier?

As you guys know, I am a huge wrestling fan, and I have always been intrigued by how Wrestling used to be organized into territories, and the head promoters agreed to not go into one another's territory. I am not saying that we should not go into each other's territory as much as we could start defining regions. I know a lot of sports have regional championships..

For WSH 2011 we won't have the entire country covered, but it seems like it will add some excitement to the already interesting world-wide setting.

So, which Regions will be covered...

I know we have Dave Thornton running comps in Michigan.

I know we have Andrew running comps in Ohio.

Paul Knight is running them in Texas

Adam has one in Minneapolis.

I think if I remember correctly either Derek Graybill or Tim Struse are running legs in Arizona.

And I am running legs in Pennsylvania.

I have had people from New England all the way to North Carolina come to my comps in the past. Maybe my Region could be called the Northeastern Region?

I know the Southeastern corner of the U.S. is often referred to as the Deep South, unfortunately there is not a WSH II set to be in that area.

Would Ohio be considered Central?

Would Arizona be Western?

What would we call the Texas area and the Michigan area? South Central and North Central?

Maybe no one else cares, but I'd like to hear some feedback and if there is interest?

If we can get this all figured out quickly enough, we could have 6 or so Regional Champions, which seems like it could be pretty cool.

Thanks.

I like the idea.

Derek is running WSH this year in Tucson

Off note. Did you get in the Vulcan grippers?

Not yet. I haven't heard back from David yet this week.

He said that he had to get orders out to the people who had already ordered...

Arizona: Southwest

Michigan: Great Lakes

Minnesota: North

Ohio: Midwest or Central

Pennsylvania: Northeast

Texas: Gulf States

Great idea!

Or we could do:

Minnesota and Michigan: Norris Division (central)

Texas & Arizona: Smythe Division (West)

Ohio & Pennsylvania: Adams Division (East)

Mike - ROFL.

These ones make perfect sense to me:

Arizona: Southwest

Michigan: Great Lakes

Minnesota: North

Ohio: Midwest or Central

Pennsylvania: Northeast

Texas: Gulf States

But what the heck do these mean?

Or we could do:

Minnesota and Michigan: Norris Division (central)

Texas & Arizona: Smythe Division (West)

Ohio & Pennsylvania: Adams Division (East)

Ya stumped me tough guy. LOL

Jedd

Cool idea.

:laugh The West or Southwest region is 14 hour drive southEAST.

A side question, when the heck is CA going to get into grip sports? One comp a year isn't much but I guess it's better than nothing. Us CA guys need to get our stuff together!

Cool idea.

A side question, when the heck is CA going to get into grip sports? One comp a year isn't much but I guess it's better than nothing. Us CA guys need to get our stuff together!

I think you essentially just raised your hand and volunteered and then I just volun-told you!

But seriously, look up the member lone wolf, his real name is Robert Alva. maybe you guys can organize some stuff.

Also, who knows, maybe David can "emergency ship" you a set of griptopz.

We also need more Canadian activity and Mexican/Central American activity to round out the great majority of North America.

Jedd

Those are the old NHL divisions. :online

Cool idea.

I think you essentially just raised your hand and volunteered and then I just volun-told you!

But seriously, look up the member lone wolf, his real name is Robert Alva. maybe you guys can organize some stuff.

We also need more Canadian activity and Mexican/Central American activity to round out the great majority of North America.

Jedd

I would love to volunteer myself. CA is huge and there is a lot of potential for sport growth out here. At the moment I think most the grip guys are around Lone Wolf down south. I'm up by San Francisco. In time I hope to get something going in my area, get people into the sport, but I'm still new.

I have a full set of Griptopz. Maybe Lone Wolf and I could make up another WSH venue...

Cool idea.

Jedd

I would love to volunteer myself. CA is huge and there is a lot of potential for sport growth out here. At the moment I think most the grip guys are around Lone Wolf down south. I'm up by San Francisco. In time I hope to get something going in my area, get people into the sport, but I'm still new.

I have a full set of Griptopz. Maybe Lone Wolf and I could make up another WSH venue...

When I first got into grip I could not find another person into grip in AZ. When I scheduled my first comp there were only a couple that I knew of. I had only been to a couple of out of state comps when I ran my first one. But guys came from as far away as California and Texas to make up the difference. If you build it, they will come. :mosher

- Aaron

When I first got into grip I could not find another person into grip in AZ. When I scheduled my first comp there were only a couple that I knew of. I had only been to a couple of out of state comps when I ran my first one. But guys came from as far away as California and Texas to make up the difference. If you build it, they will come. :mosher

- Aaron

Thanks for sharing that Aaron. And look at the AZ grip base now! I found a new grip guy in Sacramento and I have at least one guy who is wanting to get into grip at my gym. And I have a few things in the works at my gym planned with the manager. I'm thinking an opportunity will surface soon. Your words help alot.

Cool idea.

Jedd

I looked at some grip topz recently and the shipping makes it very unpalatable. You can double the price of anything I buy from David once shipping and duty are added on. Really unique stuff like the Vulcan and Wrist Developer I can justify but things I can build out of scrap that train the same way I can't.

I will be looking towards doing an event for your North American group next spring or this winter though. It can be tricky though now that I've moved back to my home town of 9,000 but I'll try my damndest biggrin.gif

CA is huge and there is a lot of potential for sport growth out here. At the moment I think most the grip guys are around Lone Wolf down south. I'm up by San Francisco. In time I hope to get something going in my area, get people into the sport, but I'm still new.

I'm still very new, but if something was held in CA i'd go regardless. I'm in San Francisco and train with a #3 closer who'd be interested too. Where do you train?

CA is huge and there is a lot of potential for sport growth out here. At the moment I think most the grip guys are around Lone Wolf down south. I'm up by San Francisco. In time I hope to get something going in my area, get people into the sport, but I'm still new.

I'm still very new, but if something was held in CA i'd go regardless. I'm in San Francisco and train with a #3 closer who'd be interested too. Where do you train?

PM sent Kevin

Those are the old NHL divisions. :online

NHL - is that league still in operation?

Cool idea.

Jedd

I looked at some grip topz recently and the shipping makes it very unpalatable. You can double the price of anything I buy from David once shipping and duty are added on. Really unique stuff like the Vulcan and Wrist Developer I can justify but things I can build out of scrap that train the same way I can't.

I will be looking towards doing an event for your North American group next spring or this winter though. It can be tricky though now that I've moved back to my home town of 9,000 but I'll try my damndest biggrin.gif

Fully understood on the prices.

I am in talks to make Vulcans available through my website that will be a favorable price break. I could also look into the Grip Topz, but I will be honest it will most likely not be done in time for WSH.

Daniel, I would email David and volunteer, seriously. I have no idea what he would say but it is worth it to try. You would have to get a Euro or an acceptable replica made and okay'd by Horne or course. You should try and way to step up dude!

I love it when a Grip Training Crew comes together.

Cool idea.

Jedd

Fully understood on the prices.

I am in talks to make Vulcans available through my website that will be a favorable price break. I could also look into the Grip Topz, but I will be honest it will most likely not be done in time for WSH.

Daniel, I would email David and volunteer, seriously. I have no idea what he would say but it is worth it to try. You would have to get a Euro or an acceptable replica made and okay'd by Horne or course. You should try and way to step up dude!

Well if you could get the Griptopz set up in the US through your site I'd definitely look at it although shipping steel between our borders isn't nice either but a bit better than the pond.

I have 2HP discs on order from Climber's supplier, ordered the day I got back from Nats. I'm not sure when I'll have it so I can finish it. Then there is the matter of rating my weights. I also need a Vulcan with that new spring. Maybe at best I'll be ready in September, but I'll email David and see what he thinks.

Back on subject, I think if there were to be U.S. Regions the West Coast would need to be there. AZ seems a bit far. There may be enough West Coast interest as I'm finding out now. It may be just a matter of getting some more comps going.

I like the idea Jedd.

I am thinking we could base regions around established promoters and call them whatever. Base the regional champion off of the winner of that contest. If the number of established promoters goes up, then we can consolidate regions.

Or whatever! This would be fun no matter how it is implemented.

Daniel,

Did you get a hold of David about potentially running a WSH venue?

Daniel,

Did you get a hold of David about potentially running a WSH venue?

I haven't Jedd. Currently only one guy has confirmed to compete, and maybe his friend. Another gripster is unavailable for this years WSH dates and I haven't heard from the SoCal boys. I'm trying to scrap together a couple more people but as it looks 2, and a possible third, isn't enough. What are your thoughts?

Edit: Good news is I can borrow a Vulcan and would just need a comp spring. And the 2HP discs showed up, just waiting on rubber and spin locks. Then I just need to rate my weights (easier said than done?)

Edited by daniel reinard

Well, even though it may not be official, it would be cool to stick you in there for our own process here in the states. We can keep our own commentary regading the US Regional Championship Cup or whatever we call it. It will also still be cool for you to have your weights rated.

My suggestion is to just start out with a few at a time and do it a couple days a week starting with 25's, tens, fives, and 2.5's because 35's and 45's aren't generally used on the Pinch set-up.