Chalk, Tacky/sticky

Roark

Of course I have used chalk, but I have never used tacky or sticky or whatever the name is.

For those who have used it, what is the difference, and

does one or the other give you more 'help' in pinching or

stone lifting, etc? If you can pinch X raw, how much more

can you pinch with chalk, and is it even more with sticky?

I have some Rehband-but I have only used it on stones.

I am not sure how it would work on steel.

Actually-I have only used it once on my stones because it is a pain in the butt to get off!!!

Rick Walker :rock

Seemed to be. The stone didnt slip and slide around. But-as soon as I got a little dirt on my hands and arms-it stuck to the tacky and rendered it useless :blush

Joe - there is no comparison. Tacky is the #1 reason everyone is lifting 350 round stones these days. We are the only importer of Rehband tacky in the US and we sell more tacky than any other product on our website. Tacky and grip is cheating to me - I could probably pinch 30-40% more with Tacky.

Wade,

Interesting, and indeed what I had suspected.

So it is in a sense a chemical wrist strap.

Do you know when it was first used in stones competition?

Thanks.

Joe - there is no comparison. Tacky is the #1 reason everyone is lifting 350 round stones these days. We are the only importer of Rehband tacky in the US and we sell more tacky than any other product on our website. Tacky and grip is cheating to me - I could probably pinch 30-40% more with Tacky.

I agree, tacky is cheating.

Wade, have you ever had the pleasure of lifting the smooth honed granite stones?

I lifted Chris Mavormatis's 365 granite stone to my lap but no further, with no tacky. It has a rough finish - not polished. This was a few years ago before I had lifted a concrete stone of that weight with tacky. So for me the rough granite stones are liftable without it but the concrete ones there is a huge difference because you can't get good contact with the surface.

Joe - I would say it started getting popular here when strongman started making a resurgance in 1997. Highland games guys have used it longer.

How do gauntlets help when stone lifting or are they just to protect the arms?

Thanks

I also think that it is cheating, but of course you compete within the rules that the contest allows you and the organisers have the ability to stop the use of tacky.

At all the stone that I have lifted:

Dinnie Stones (twice)

Blue Stones of Old Dailly

Blue Stone of Old Hartley

Inver Stone

even chalk was no good as it pissed down on me at them all. Except at the Inver stone where it was covered in snow!

David Webster was at two of these and barely could make it to our first Dinnie lifts because of the snow and floods. The joys of Scotland I suppose!

At least at these historical stones we have some sense of keeping it real, I'm sure tacky would be frowned upon. If I remember rightly an american came over to lift the Dinnies once, and preceded to lift them with a harness. What's that about!! Anyway, he was booed for his attempts.

David

I have seen pics of Dave Prowse lifting both of the Dinnie stones at the same time. He claimed at the time that he was the first to lift them since Dinnie himself. He was using straps though!

The guantlets help by protecting the forearms. When I am done lifting and carrying my stones-my arms are usually a bruised bloody mess. They stop this. Also-if you use tacky, it can go on the sleeves instead of your hairy arm.

Roark or John Beatty-anyone?

I heard that at the end of the Snowman contest(after he had done 5 lighter stones and finished a full contest)an 18 year old kid picked up and loaded the 385lb.concrete stone!!

As the story goes- from the guys that went and they ALL watched him do it- after the full contest was over this kid-had just won the amateurs-(actually think he was from Iowa but i do not know him) just casually asked someone if he could try the 385#,lapped it and easily loaded it.

Yako said the kid had told him he has loaded real rocks and stones before but it was his first try with the Atlas stones....or perhaps he said he had never practiced Atlas stones before.

Yako and josh don't recall if had tacky on or not...but as they said he was such a raw 'newbie'that they didn't think he did.

Just for clarification..as this to me was one of the most impressive feats of strength I'd heard of in a **LONG** while-did he?or didn't he?.....................Use tackie?

**In my mind?comparable to -but MORE impressive- than the 16 year old kid closing the #3 at the Arnold!!**

It was an impromptu attempt following the competition, and I do not know if he used Tacky etc.

He was almost casual in the competition- what an incredible future he has!

Even Josh had commented on the kids grip and hands...They were all impressed with his quickness in the tire flip and the explosive ness of the clean and press.

It's too bad someone didn't give this kid a #3 ....could have been two newbie closures that day?

(josh said nobody was even close to this kid in the HERCULES hold?I have no numbers and just repeating a story but he said the kid held it for nearly twice as long as the next competitor.."definitely a farm kid" :cool )

That would be Rob Hayes. His strength was astounding, but his speed was even more amazing. He made some of the pros look old and tired. Most impressive was his all around performance. He has the total package for a successful strongman. There were a few others who bear watching as well. Travis, who worked with John Beatty, wasn't far behind Rob.

Thanks Roark, Animal Cage.

THAT is a name to remember.Rob Hayes.

But yes his speed,explosiveness,coordination is what they talked about...and his grip!

They said that this kid was a phenom and 'stole the show'.

Loading a 385# stone,while tired-after a full contest?,without access to Atlas stones to train with?,Possibly no tacky?,at the age of 18.....simply one of the most amazing things I've heard of in awhile.

They also said their was condensation on the stones,slick and wet,("sweating" so to speak)as the stones were cold(had been outside)and were now inside a heated building?Might have even made the feat more difficult?

Do you know where from Iowa he is from?

Rob Hayes.... what's his height/weight? For an 18 year old kid, that is incredible!! :bow

Snott,

I asked around today about his size.To the best of their recollection..'not real big' about 6'2"(give or take and inch?)

and about 240lbs.?(give or take 10 lbs?)

Descriptions:

"Big legs,big hands,an athlete"...." raw boned and rangey mo'fo'".

"lots of room to pack on muscle but just flat strong already"......"a rangey athletic dude ,but not real big -must just be cock strong and fast!"

"hands from hell"

That was the word/quotes from 3 fairly large individuals(very?) that observed his performance:"pound for pound and considering his age....most impressive strongman performance I've EVER witnessed"was a quote from one 'ol dude whos seen a lot and been around for awhile!!

Rob said he'd done Strongman shows before, he was amazing, though. 19 years old. 6'4" 265 lbs. He did (after loading all 5 am stones - 220, 232, 265, 290, 330) come back after the pro's got done & easily lifted the 385 to a 51" platform. I'm sure he used tacky. He got 3rd in the stones, 2nd in the Tire, 1st in the axle, tied for 8th in the dead (mult ties in the higher places), won the Herc hold (by 17 seconds - only Rob & Brian Amundsen went over a minute), Won overall with 18.5 points followed by Eric Todd with 20.5 & 3rd was Travis Russell with 21 pts. A year or two of technique work & he'll be ready for the pro's & will do well. Another damn young guy to climb past us old guys...lol.

Also-

The stones were sweating, but by the time about 1/2 the ams had gone, they were pretty dry. I was wiping them down after each guy went. They'd been in my garage & of course the temp was about 2 degrees for a week so the stones were a bit damp after sitting inside for 6-7 hours.

Man!did those guys underestimate his size! :laugh:laugh well it was second hand information that i dredged out of them(interogation style) months after the fact,and they were just going off recollection.......of course Yako is 5'11,260 and Josh 5'11"265 and Paul is 5'11"285.....so they tend to get thrown off in the weight guessing dept. when some one is tall....they thought he was skinny :blink ...but all agreed he would someday be the man to watch...