Euro 2hp Vs. 1hp

bencrush

Did a 2HP workout today with my Mouse Pinch set at 51mm. It was 103° in the garage but chalk is my friend so my numbers weren't much lower than my dismal standard pinching.

My best pull was 165x1. Down about 8lbs from my best 2HP on this setup - standing on 11" of plates to mimic a contest-legal lift.

I was not happy to be pulling even less than usual so I stripped a bunch of weight off and did 1HP.

Best lifts were 80x1-righty and 72x1-lefty. That's 92% of my 2HP number. Seems a bit higher than the few comparisons I've heard of 1HP vs. 2HP numbers.

I've been reading the discussion on 2HP vs. bodyweight with great interest. Because my weak pinch is still plaguing my contest placings a full 9 years after my first grip contest.

Obviously, I've got a bit of work to get my left hand caught up to my right. That's probably holding my numbers back some on 2HP.

I know that some guys have had great results training 1HP and then seen a big increase in their 2HP performance. Others have trained their 1HP and had no carryover and some have even had their 2HP numbers go down even.

I wonder if my 1HP numbers are higher because I lack the wrist strength to put the 2 hands to better use.

I did 2hp pinch yesterday and I will give 1hp a go tomorow. Will report back numbers when I am done. I have never gone for a max 1hp number so this should be interesting.

Could it just be a technique issue?

Do you try to bend the plates inwards. I was told to do this and I did well. Of course you can't bend the plate but you sure as hell can try. Also I was instructed to try to tilt the plate back with the bottom towards me a bit.

I not saying that you don’t know how to do 2HP, I’m just wondering if you have been told these things. If not I’m curious of your technique.

I wonder if my 1HP numbers are higher because I lack the wrist strength to put the 2 hands to better use.

With your bending abilities I can not imagine you have a wrist strength issue.

Rich, good points man. I've tried all that and more over the years. I keep thinking that my overall grip strength is high enough that I should be way stronger on 2HP. But I just can't make anything "click" for me.

All I can think is that your plates must be slick. Comparing 2HP with different plates is pointless in my opinion. My first time pinching an old 2HP I got up 160+ pounds and I felt like I could have done more but it was my 4th lift so I was done. I did try 225 when no one was looking but that was not budging. With my new pinch plates I’m lucky to lift 130+ pounds.

With your grip, bending and 2'Vbar #s You are up at the top. If its not technique or just a smooth 2Hp then I have no clue. All I can say then is pinch harder MAN!!! :upsidedwn

Today I did 85k (187 lb) in the 2HP followed by 43.5k (96 lb) right hand and 43k (95 lb) left hand so 102%. Not a good day with the Europinch as my PR's are a bit higher but a rather typical 2HP/1HP ratio for me. Bodyweight was 81.4k in the morning.

Did my 1hp on my American 2hp setup. Maxed out at 93lbs left and 98lbs right. Not sure if I should be comparing this to my best pinch on this setup or just my most recent max. Two days ago I pulled 203 and missed 213. My best on this setup is 208.

Comparing to my most recent max attempt I am at 94%.

Comparing to my PR I am at 92%.

I believe this is also the first real attempt at a max for 1hp. I would expect some technique work would bring each hand up 5lbs, however this is just guess work for now as until it is an event at a contest I am competing in, I would not train it as a serious lift.

Those numbers indicate that you are better, relatively speaking, at the 1HP.

Did my 1hp on my American 2hp setup. Maxed out at 93lbs left and 98lbs right. Not sure if I should be comparing this to my best pinch on this setup or just my most recent max. Two days ago I pulled 203 and missed 213. My best on this setup is 208.

Comparing to my most recent max attempt I am at 94%.

Comparing to my PR I am at 92%.

I believe this is also the first real attempt at a max for 1hp. I would expect some technique work would bring each hand up 5lbs, however this is just guess work for now as until it is an event at a contest I am competing in, I would not train it as a serious lift.