Gripper Rep Max Formula

acorn

Hey guys one of the side projects I have been working on is to come up with a decent formula for calculating Rep Maxes on grippers. For me I found that the standard ones out there for determining 1RM just were not even close when it came to grippers. So I have been combing through my old logs trying to find enough good data points where I had a pretty good idea of what my 1RM was at a time when I did an all out set on grippers with between 2 and 10 reps. I think I've gotten the formula close for me now but am putting a call out for more data points to see how the formula stacks up for others. If you can help me with additional data points it would be much appreciated and I would love to share the final formula for everyone. What I need is numbers based on RGC rated grippers where it was an all out set anywhere from 2 - 10 reps when you had a reasonably good idea what your max close was. I realize this will not be 100% accurate for everyone just like the existing formulas are not because of differences in muscle ratios and current training state, etc. But hopefully it can give a close enough approximation for training tracking and planning which is what I plan to use it for.

For example: If I could close a 150# #3 for 4 reps and my best close at the time was around a 160# Elite, etc.

Thanks for your help,

-Aaron

I think you will find this is completely different for everybody Aaron, i really don't think there any correlation at all. If somebody trains reps they will be good at reps, not max closes.

I think you will find this is completely different for everybody Aaron, i really don't think there any correlation at all. If somebody trains reps they will be good at reps, not max closes.

I used to think that too. Now I think that there can be enough of a correlation to get it ball park close enough to be able to use it for planning workouts, etc if one does use more than just singles and Negs in their training. If there is data points to be parsed then that will tell whether it is a valid idea for the masses or not. Otherwise it will just be something that works for me and my training protocols.

- Aaron

April-May 2011: 173# #Eaton elite for 2 parallel pause reps, was around 1/8" away from burying the 3rd and at the KC Qualifier in May I closed a 183#.

2005: was getting 3 parallel pause reps on my MM3 dud which cal'd 168 or so, <170 for sure and 30-33 clicks and I closed the 190# #4 of Dave's at BBB. This was also the time I was closest to closing my 195# #4. In the month or so afterwards I got to 1/8" or less.

Looking back, the numbers appear awkward but I think the biggest difference was my close strength from the clicks. I used to be 10x as strong almost to the exact number on clicks vs parallel pause reps and I think the last time I repped out on a #3 for clicks it was <50 and I'm usually good for around 10 or so parallel pause reps.

I used to think that too. Now I think that there can be enough of a correlation to get it ball park close enough to be able to use it for planning workouts, etc if one does use more than just singles and Negs in their training. If there is data points to be parsed then that will tell whether it is a valid idea for the masses or not. Otherwise it will just be something that works for me and my training protocols.

- Aaron

Maybe low reps upto 5 there will be some correlation, but certainly not #2 15 reps = #3 1 rep etc someone could do 100 reps on a #2 and not be able to close a #3. Good luck with your training.

- Aaron

Maybe low reps upto 5 there will be some correlation, but certainly not #2 15 reps = #3 1 rep etc someone could do 100 reps on a #2 and not be able to close a #3. Good luck with your training.

I agree, low reps will have the greatest correlation. I'm not even trying to fit anything over 10 reps and I fully expect there to be a good bit of variance above 6 or 7 reps due to training and muscle ratios divergence. Thanks for the input though.

Josh, thanks for the numbers.

- Aaron

139# BBSM X 4 parallel reps and 1RM was a 164# Elite.

153# coc3 x 2 parallel reps and 1RM was a 158# MM1 dup.

April-May 2011: 173# #Eaton elite for 2 parallel pause reps, was around 1/8" away from burying the 3rd and at the KC Qualifier in May I closed a 183#.

2005: was getting 3 parallel pause reps on my MM3 dud which cal'd 168 or so, <170 for sure and 30-33 clicks and I closed the 190# #4 of Dave's at BBB. This was also the time I was closest to closing my 195# #4. In the month or so afterwards I got to 1/8" or less.

Looking back, the numbers appear awkward but I think the biggest difference was my close strength from the clicks. I used to be 10x as strong almost to the exact number on clicks vs parallel pause reps and I think the last time I repped out on a #3 for clicks it was <50 and I'm usually good for around 10 or so parallel pause reps.

Question, on both of those examples the 173x2 and the 168x3 do you think you could have closed the same 1RM gripper you closed the same day you did those sets? ie, at the time you did the 168x3 do you think you could have close a 190 gripper or do you think you had a nice bump from some rest and contest adrenaline?

Thanks,

Aaron

Matt, were these pause set reps or just reps? Pause set would include a block set style.

Thanks,

Aaron

When I could do 10 reps with a COC#2 rated at 115 I maxed out with 132 at the AZgrip comp. I failed at 138

Matt, were these pause set reps or just reps? Pause set would include a block set style.

Thanks,

Aaron

Just reps, but solid parallel. Not clicks or baby reps.

Question, on both of those examples the 173x2 and the 168x3 do you think you could have closed the same 1RM gripper you closed the same day you did those sets? ie, at the time you did the 168x3 do you think you could have close a 190 gripper or do you think you had a nice bump from some rest and contest adrenaline?

Thanks,

Aaron

Thanks,

Aaron

Re BBB: Hard to say. I was def. wound up as BBB was my first contest, I'd just met Dave Morton and Big Steve, my family was there, and I'd just killed Dave's MM3 dud. The kicker is, in the month or so after, I was just missing my 195# #4 (it wasn't calibrated at this time and neither was the 190# as this predated RGC) and there was def no adrenaline on that. I was doing an internship at the time which pretty much consumed me so I was dragging myself through training most of the time. I was doing a modified version of the high rep program at the time which was either 5 on 2 off or 6 on, 1 off (I don't remember).

Re KC Qualifier: I def thought I was going to close a tougher gripper that day. I was essentially looking past the 183# Heavy Elite and I had to crank it with a second effort to get the last bit. I think I would have killed it on the day(s) I was almost tripling the elite.

On a side note: my parallel pause reps did not use a block but these are Paul Knight style reps, the pause is very obvious.

MMS performances - when I closed my all-time calibrated gripper PR - a 185lb #3.5 - I had recently closed my 168lb Super Elite for 5 MMS reps. I have never replicated that repping performance but have been very close to that 185lb max again. Around the same time I was repping my 146lb #3 for 12 MMS reps.

As for TNS performances - when I TNS closed my 168lb Super Elite I was also capable of 6 TNS reps on my 146lb #3. This is the same #3 that "eases down" to 137lbs when it's oiled. But it hadn't been oiled in months at that time that I repped it and then calibrated it to arrive at the 146lb rating. Soon after I oiled it and got 137lbs so that's the full disclosure.:D I got 10 TNS reps once after oiling my #3 - when it was 137lbs vs. 146lbs.

MMS performances - when I closed my all-time calibrated gripper PR - a 185lb #3.5 - I had recently closed my 168lb Super Elite for 5 MMS reps. I have never replicated that repping performance but have been very close to that 185lb max again. Around the same time I was repping my 146lb #3 for 12 MMS reps.

As for TNS performances - when I TNS closed my 168lb Super Elite I was also capable of 6 TNS reps on my 146lb #3. This is the same #3 that "eases down" to 137lbs when it's oiled. But it hadn't been oiled in months at that time that I repped it and then calibrated it to arrive at the 146lb rating. Soon after I oiled it and got 137lbs so that's the full disclosure.:D I got 10 TNS reps once after oiling my #3 - when it was 137lbs vs. 146lbs.

Thanks Ben! Your numbers lined up about perfectly with the formula I had come up with for myself.