Does It Matter?

don of tha new grip

I do only bw exercises except for my lower arms and basically getting little to no results and I'm wondering do you think lifting weights make that big of a difference. So with that said does anybody do strickly bw exercises, and what do you guys who lift weights think?

Don,

What type of grip equipment do you have now, and what is your current routine?

Years of bodyweight exercises (chinups, leg raisers) and weightlifting (deadlifts, rows) did NOTHING for my grip. I was very surprised when I found this out. My grip improved very quickly when I started a grip program based on exercises in the Brookfield books (available from IronMind).

Don, I have never used a strictly bodyweight-only program but have used several different bodyweight-only exercises in conjunction with lifting weights. I have found bodyweight exercises to be extremly effective and will use them more extensively at some later date. There are some bodyweight -only grip exercises that I think are very effective but have not been able to experiment with them just yet. If your goal is to close a #1, I would suggest getting a plate loaded grip machine and progressively adding weight. As far as results, it depends on what you hope to accomplish with your training. Hope this helps-John

Syber i just really got the basics T-#2, ivanko sg, wrist reinforcer, close the gap straps. As far as routine its try to close the no.1 first thing, then drop to the trainer and do strap holds which i just got to 15lbs; pinch grip on 4 standered 10lb. plates that are duct tape together, and then go to the SG and rep out on it.

I purchesd the bag 'o' nails yesterday to break up the montoney.(SP?)

Readin what you guys have posted I guess i'm just gonna expect slow gains (THAT BLOWS :angry: ) but if strongmitts can hang in there so can I

COC IN 2013........(I'M REALISTIC ;) )

Why don't you try thick bar chins and add weight when you get better at them , that will work your grip hard too.

Actually-I think training with weights has a great effect on your hand strength. I could close the #1 out of the bag for 6 reps each hand pretty easy and it took about 1.5-2 weeks of actual grip training to get the #2.

The reason I had decent hand strength was from all the pulling I do-deadlifts, pullups, rows, etc.

Deadlifting big numbers HAS to build some hand strength?

Rick Walker :rock