Ironmind's Pinch Grip Hub

OldGuy

To OldGuy or others that could help,

I've recently read that you own the latest Blockbuster block by Ironmind. I would appreciate it if you could tell me in comparison to the blockbuster block how much you can pinch on say a 2.5", 3", 3.5", 4" block of wood? I'm just asking to get a better idea on what I'd be good for on one.

Pinching is not my strong point. My wooden block is 3'' wide. On it I lift around 70 lbs. With Ironmind's new block it's around 55. Which is approximately a difference of 22%. The block has a slick shiny painted finish.

I'm not a fan of that ironmind block. It's too slippy for me, my lifts are very average. Then again I probably just need a stronger pinch.

Jim, I have not read of anyone who has hoisted big poundages on the block. Not compared to what has been done on other equipment. Also if anyone were to use some steel wool or fine sandpaper on the paint, they would be able to lift far more. This leaves it open for cheating. I wish that the paint had been matt and not gloss.

I agree.

Chalk doen't help either and it actually seems to be an advantage to have a almost clammy hands when using the block. Preparing it with sandpaper would definetly allow you to lift more and I suppose that's fine if it's used it as a training tool and not claiming any records. It would be more useful for training pinch if the surface was slightly more abrasive.

Maybe I've just got dry skin but the slickness seems to be a limiting factor rather than the weight for me.

I always use chalk on the rolling thunder. perhaps a 'clammy' hand is the way to go on that lift too?

Guest Mikael Siversson
I always use chalk on the rolling thunder. perhaps a 'clammy' hand is the way to go on that lift too?

Most of the competitors at the LGC wet their hands on a wet towel and then rub them dry before lifting.

Is the question about the IM hub or the IM block. I don't yet have the hub. I've only tried the block a couple of times and could get 48.75 in plates. Yesterday I got 80lbs using wide 35's and a bar with extra weight. The block is a lot tougher.

How much does this help you then Mikeal?

Good luck on Saturday. I wish I was competing :rolleyes

55 lbs. is really good in my opinion.

Ironmind's catalog has a picture of Brian Schoonveld lifting 55 lbs. at the 2002 IFSA US Championships in St. Louis. It says he placed 3rd and I think the winning lift was 60 or 65.

I have lifted a 20 kg plate plus small IM loading pin with the hub. I have only trained with it a few times. I use it more like a test than a training tool.

Old Guy,

YES!57 lbs is EXCELLENT :rock -on the new IM Big Block pinch apparatus!!It is very tough! BUT I think the only way to compare apples with apples.NO rough spots.No knurling.No rust.Yes it's too smooth.... BUT a constant and comparable thickness and smoothness(plate thickness vary)

We have been really hitting that exercise hard (for about 7 -8weeks)We do it before our favorites- rolling thunder and wrist roller-so we ARE fresh when we hit it.So no doubt about it 57 is excellent!

Just 9 more lbs.and the topic gets locked! :cry

We do not have a hub yet...perhaps soon.We could make one easily but it would have some slight difference I'm sure...

Although we have loads of home made stuff-I still like the IM or PDA or Sorin(or Even the HAMMER Strength grip machine) devices because it is easier to compare directly with others.

To side track the thread even more... I just got my IM pinch block and it is very smooth on one side but the paint is pebbly on the other side (the side with the weld). Is everyone elses' glossy smooth on both sides?

So much for my consistancy theory?

We have both of the the IM pinch blocks the old one and the 'new'big block...both as slick as snot...smooth and glossy..both sides.both blocks.

Maybe? you should ask em to send you out another one?Possibly a defective paint job?

Patrick Lemieux, the guy who got certified with me on the #3 told me that he pinched 69 pounds on the new IM pinch block. He also did a 230 RT. I have no doubt about his pinch strength as he close the grippers with his fingers straight, like in a pinch grip. He got my #4 down to 1/8 while holding the spring. He has long fingers which surely help in the pinch.

Guest mikebyoung

Back to the hub lift...my best was 40lbs. But I havent been training with it in a long while, I'll need to go see if I can still manage that weight.

My best on the block was 55.

I have had my IM block for about a month now and it drives me nuts because I know I could lift more weight with it if it wasn't so darn smooth. I am thinking about roughing it up a little to increase my training intensity! I am not out for records just more strength then I have now. :inno

I tried the hub and the block at a powerlifting contest in December.... I forgot exactly what I got, around 55 for the block and 35 for the hub I think.

Brian,

Did you by chance lift the hub and block at the Gladiator Meet in michigan? The reason I ask is b/c the winner at that meet lifted 55 lbs. on the block and 37.5 lbs. on the hub.