Future Challenges?

climber511

Below is a quote from one of Jedd's Diesel Crew posts

"Feats of strength that were once thought impossible are being performed on a regular basis now. It may only be a matter of time until we are doing Farmer’s Walks with two old York 45′s in each hand. Don’t EVER look at the videos and think that these feats are something you won’t be able to do. You might not be able to now, but down the line, who knows…"

Something that happened along the Grip Strength time line is that so many of the "big deal" feats of grip strength have become common place today. Things that only a few people on the planet could do a few years ago are now being done by quite a few people. Which brings me to my point - what are the challenges of the future going to be? I'm thinking more along the lines of the equipment here.

Blob - just not big enough and York didn't make them any bigger - to find something harder means something custom made probably.

COC #3 Gripper - easy enough as grippers considerably harder exist and are easy to get.

5 - 10s - pretty common and 6 - 10s while pretty plate dependent and hand size helps - still where do we go from here - perhaps 5 kilo plates are next? Not common here in the US but not that big a problem to get really

3-25s and 2 - 45s - same as above - the old deep dish Yorks are still not lifted very often

Sledge Levers - a 20# lever is still darn good but this is such a difficult one to judge it isn't all that popular - but larger sledges are uncommon so going higher is going to require some kind of adjustable

Inch DB - still a pretty big deal for the most part - but it isn't a big challenge for many anymore - and the bigger DBs are darn rare as far as being available for the masses to try - heck even Inch replicas are fairly rare

Red Nail or FBBC etc - bending has moved way beyond the Red these days - I'm not sure how much further things will go beyond today's standards before people start blowing off body parts. But bigger steel is easy enough to get.

It's going to be interesting to see what the challenges of the future end up being.

Great post Chris. I wonder about this stuff as well. Especially on the bending side. I think we will see several people barehanding Reds/Bastards within the next 2 or 3 years. IM came out with the Gold Nail, but it is so long that only the most flexible people and the super mutants will ever bend one in IMPs under a minute. I think the direction many of the benders are going toward is not bigger steel, but less padding. If you look on the BB, more people bend in IMPs than doubles and quite a number of people bend barehanded. Since David Horne's new unbraced lists came out, barehand bends are the most popular categories. Even a big sissy like me has taken up barehand bending. :blush

I hit most of my unbraced goals and am now really getting into the braced and horseshoe bending, which are seeing a huge explosion in popularity. Guys like Carl Ansara and David Wigren are taking braced bending further than anyone ever thought possible. We will see a sub thirty inch X 3/4" bend any day now from Carl. Those guys are bending 20mm bars in the mid thirties and 7/8" will be the next victim. Carl has done 14mm stock at 12", which is just insane and he is planning a 16" 5/8 bend as well.

Bending is easier though than grip. There are always bigger bars or thinner pads. Inventing new grip feats without bringing hand size into the equation is tough. 3 - 35s? 3 - 45s someday??? It will depend on who is attracted to the sport over the next decade.

Adding custom impliments is hard to do, look how long the 2hp has been around, and still only a few actually have one. I think that since grip is the common mans sport that the tools of the trade will still have to be easily accesable to a newbee. One can take things to the next level by doing thing like our benders have done like less pads. Im trying to get guys interested in the blob again, by doing int eresting lifts with it. At some point we may have to switch over to hex weight blobs instead of yorks, since they are easy to get.

At some point we may have to switch over to hex weight blobs instead of yorks, since they are easy to get.

easier to get and heavier. there are some hex weights that are a good bit heavier but narrower as well.

Brent, as some of us collect them then we would have to make up a rateing scale somehow? Hex Block weight that is. Comparing them to what we already know. Maybe a day at Richard Sorins summer get together this could be set up or future contests, and data could be collected. Or maybe there is enough data out there for someone who is good at putting this kind of stuff together. It may be some oppinion at first but would eventually get fine tuned if we kept up on it I would guess.

Parris

there;s already a block weight section on the records page. there's a method for measuring and weighing blocks. no one ever does it though. maybe someone needs to push it back up in terms of popularity.

Great discussion on the block weights alone.

I developed a way to measure total slope of block weights, but I think we need something further. Total slope is the distance from one bottom of the slope to the bottom on the other side. But the angle of each side slope makes a huge difference.

Very cool topics coming up on the baord lately!

What about some of Goerner's finger lifts and single hand lifts done on a standard barbell. Readily available and tremendous grip strength needed, no hand size issues.

Adding custom impliments is hard to do, look how long the 2hp has been around, and still only a few actually have one. I think that since grip is the common mans sport that the tools of the trade will still have to be easily accesable to a newbee. One can take things to the next level by doing thing like our benders have done like less pads. Im trying to get guys interested in the blob again, by doing int eresting lifts with it. At some point we may have to switch over to hex weight blobs instead of yorks, since they are easy to get.

+1

Most items are still rare for the common man's basement collection. Finding some of these things is a real luck of the draw thing and even still it costs some dough. York 50# 2nd gen ~$200! Forget about getting a harder Blob, ie Fatman or clone. Buying 5 or 6 5kg plates just to do a feat? A waste for most. Inch Replica? $$$$$ Most will train with what they own or can make and maybe when they encounter the real deal they can do the best they can towards that feat. It doesn't compare to real deal training but it's the best most can do.

Pretty cool post. If my noob butt can bend a Red in IMPs, close a #3 and play with a York Blob I'd say these feats are getting way more common and new feats will need to surface to keep the chase going. I'd say 2x45s is still up there, so is the Inch DB. So is the 20# sledge lever. It isn't hard to modify a 16# to stack on weights for 20# or more but it's still a big lever. The Gold nail is just rediculous.

Maybe the #3.5 is the new #3? Maybe the new BB Battlebar will be the new Red?

How about 4x 10Kg plate pinch? I was pretty close on getting this locked out awhile back and probably would have already done it if I had 4 matching plates. Could do it with a pipe through no problem. Or how about notes for the lists for added weight on the pinch lifts. Like Blob + weight, 2 x 45s Plus weight, Hub 45# plate plus weight, etc?

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

How about 4x 10Kg plate pinch? I was pretty close on getting this locked out awhile back and probably would have already done it if I had 4 matching plates. Could do it with a pipe through no problem. Or how about notes for the lists for added weight on the pinch lifts. Like Blob + weight, 2 x 45s Plus weight, Hub 45# plate plus weight, etc?

- Aaron

Sweet idea. Lifts plus weight or even lifts with 3 or 2 fingers.

Kettlebell pinched at the round end opposite to the handle is a nice lift in my opinion. 16kg kettlebell seems hard, but sure a lot of guys could do it, but it's easy to add extra weight and kettlebells have become popular in most gyms, at least where I live, so its available for the masses, unlike blobs, hex heads and so on.

How about 4x 10Kg plate pinch? I was pretty close on getting this locked out awhile back and probably would have already done it if I had 4 matching plates. Could do it with a pipe through no problem. - Aaron

Dang, that's big stuff.

Were going to have one of evey thing here soon, I hope this doesent get too congested with odd ball stuff and I thought originally the list was for feats not for whose on top as the best in said feat. Sort of a place for a pat on the back not a contest.

What about some of Goerner's finger lifts and single hand lifts done on a standard barbell. Readily available and tremendous grip strength needed, no hand size issues.

I recently started playing around with these, and would love to see more people give them a try.

Well, I'm fairly new to the grip world.What I noticed there alot of grip feats that have been performed,

By a whole lot of people now!As far as bending barehands be the best way to step it up a notch.Pinch grip

you can challenge yourself by using 3 2 or 1 finger.There always ways you can challenge yourself.

Plus if you creative,you can come up with a new exercise.

Kettlebell pinch is a nice one. Very accessible and easy to load. Variation in finishes could be problematic, but that is no different than the plate pinch feats.

What about a 15kg bumper plate wrist curl? I think this is doable at some point while the 20kg is TNS 220# #4 stuff.

- Aaron

If someone will dig up the lists of Blob plus weight, I will add it to the record board.

Kettlebell pinch is a nice one. Very accessible and easy to load. Variation in finishes could be problematic, but that is no different than the plate pinch feats.

Screw it. I will add it and if it is covered in rubber, it will be marked with *R.

Let's keep going.

What about a 15kg bumper plate wrist curl? I think this is doable at some point while the 20kg is TNS 220# #4 stuff.

Plate Wrist Curl Records? YES!

Well, I'm fairly new to the grip world.What I noticed there alot of grip feats that have been performed,

By a whole lot of people now!As far as bending barehands be the best way to step it up a notch.Pinch grip

you can challenge yourself by using 3 2 or 1 finger.There always ways you can challenge yourself.

Plus if you creative,you can come up with a new exercise.

I think the BB has a barehand list as well as DH's board. Not sure if we have that in the Bending section here, as I do not keep those lifts...

Were going to have one of evey thing here soon, I hope this doesent get too congested with odd ball stuff and I thought originally the list was for feats not for whose on top as the best in said feat. Sort of a place for a pat on the back not a contest.

It's fun stuff to shoot for. Not sure who said it was a contest? I just want us to have fun.

+1

Most items are still rare for the common man's basement collection. Finding some of these things is a real luck of the draw thing and even still it costs some dough. York 50# 2nd gen ~$200! Forget about getting a harder Blob, ie Fatman or clone. Buying 5 or 6 5kg plates just to do a feat? A waste for most. Inch Replica? $$$$$ Most will train with what they own or can make and maybe when they encounter the real deal they can do the best they can towards that feat. It doesn't compare to real deal training but it's the best most can do.

Pretty cool post. If my noob butt can bend a Red in IMPs, close a #3 and play with a York Blob I'd say these feats are getting way more common and new feats will need to surface to keep the chase going. I'd say 2x45s is still up there, so is the Inch DB. So is the 20# sledge lever. It isn't hard to modify a 16# to stack on weights for 20# or more but it's still a big lever. The Gold nail is just rediculous.

Maybe the #3.5 is the new #3? Maybe the new BB Battlebar will be the new Red?

True, some things are cost prohibitive. That is why it is important to train for well-roundedness so that when the time comes, you can dominate the object.

Dan, there will be a fat man at Nationals. I want you to stay calm and try it ONCE THE COMP IS DONE. Don't burn your juice on the Blob and then screw up your performance.

And when you try it, make sure someone is videoing!

I figured one would be there. I'm sure it will humble me as excited as I may be to touch one. :blush

In my opinion things that will be in future will be the same as they were in the past.Nobody as i traveled a lot of gym's were able to close the no 2 CoC.For me the battle for CoC no 3 was very very hard and after i closed that gripper i don't feel progress.yes,maybe this is my genetic power or limits.Grippers and the sport of grip is now more well known than ever,maybe this is why the feats of strenght are more common.Richard Sorin and other great pionners were the inspiration for all of us.Evolution is something normal and it must be watched as a new step in our beloved sport GRIP!As long as we push the limit we push our sport on high standards.