My Favorite Grip Highlight Reel

Jedd Johnson

Stumbled upon this video tonight after an awesome workout and just had to watch it.

Check out some of the awesome names who pop up in this video...

I think I worked on this video close to two weeks straight every night. It took forever. It was the invite video for GGC 2005 and I burnt a copy to disks and sent them to people all over the globe.

Great video footage of some Elite Gripsters!

Holy balls that was awesome. That is THE coolest grip video I have ever seen. Thanks for posting.

The "Drama at 195lbs" was my favorite part.

Thanks guys.

This was back in the day when we pinched on ghetto plates and there were 20 people competing and 20 people watching Pure Awesomeness.

Smitty and I used to put out music videos like this all the time. We made a hundred or so, all back before YouTube got big. We just used to let people download them.

For this one, i downloaded video game trailers and took clips out of them and combined them with my footage. It took hours and hours.

Very nice vids Jedd

Awesome stuff

very cool vid!! How wide is the pinch?

Around 2.5 inches, I think. Not too thick I guess.

Nice video!

Can't get that song out off my head. Who made it and what is it called?

Edited by Grip_noob

The band is called Highland Drive. The title escapes me right now...

Freakin' awesome video!! I love all the intensity going down, that seems to be missing lately, sure guys are gripping big and bending big now, but I don't see many vids with that level of intensity going down. Looked like a great time!

I don't see many vids with that level of intensity going down. Looked like a great time!

I was one of the few who purchased both the 2004 and 2005 DVDs from Jedd. I knew someone from my town that went to the 1st one.

There was a level of "excitement" that does not seem to be there any more. You could say it has been replaced by talent and professionalism, and it might be true. But that first one, just from watching the videos, every competitor on every attempt seemed to be having an absolute blast. There is something to be said about being on the ground floor of something. There were a number of guys who would now be considered "novices", but no one appeared to be shy about stepping up to pull, sqeeze, pinch. It was fun to watch and worth the money.

And the "pre-contest" speculation was even more fun, as so many people were virtually unknowns back 7 years ago.

Talking about this makes me realize the importance of bringing in new blood. It keeps it fun and interesting.

I don't see many vids with that level of intensity going down. Looked like a great time!

I was one of the few who purchased both the 2004 and 2005 DVDs from Jedd. I knew someone from my town that went to the 1st one.

There was a level of "excitement" that does not seem to be there any more. You could say it has been replaced by talent and professionalism, and it might be true. But that first one, just from watching the videos, every competitor on every attempt seemed to be having an absolute blast. There is something to be said about being on the ground floor of something. There were a number of guys who would now be considered "novices", but no one appeared to be shy about stepping up to pull, sqeeze, pinch. It was fun to watch and worth the money.

And the "pre-contest" speculation was even more fun, as so many people were virtually unknowns back 7 years ago.

Talking about this makes me realize the importance of bringing in new blood. It keeps it fun and interesting.

I agree. It's hard to describe the difference between then and now.

Being relatively new in grip and bending, I believe it's a case of what's acceptable, and what is seen. When we watch current videos from the big names in grip/bending, most guys just go about their business with a quiet, professional demeanor. There is some raw emotion shown, but that's usually after setting a world record or other huge accomplishment. Comments are often made currently if a guy is too vocal during a vid. I often times get carried away during a bend, I just get spooled up and stuff starts coming out of my mouth! LOL! It's often embarrassing afterwards, but genuine at the time. I think now new guys are seeing so many big feats performed by someone in total control, that it starts to shape what is acceptable/appropriate. Not sure. I remember seeing some old videos of Jedd where he was as intense as they come- a Red Nail reverse comes to mind, awesome vid!! Not that Jedd isn't still intense, he is, but the overall vibe now from most guys seems to be, being in control the entire time.

I love these vids like this, guys just letting the demons out and going wild!! Great stuff.

Being relatively new in grip and bending, I believe it's a case of what's acceptable, and what is seen. When we watch current videos from the big names in grip/bending, most guys just go about their business with a quiet, professional demeanor. There is some raw emotion shown, but that's usually after setting a world record or other huge accomplishment. Comments are often made currently if a guy is too vocal during a vid. I often times get carried away during a bend, I just get spooled up and stuff starts coming out of my mouth! LOL! It's often embarrassing afterwards, but genuine at the time. I think now new guys are seeing so many big feats performed by someone in total control, that it starts to shape what is acceptable/appropriate. Not sure. I remember seeing some old videos of Jedd where he was as intense as they come- a Red Nail reverse comes to mind, awesome vid!! Not that Jedd isn't still intense, he is, but the overall vibe now from most guys seems to be, being in control the entire time.

I love these vids like this, guys just letting the demons out and going wild!! Great stuff.

Censorship promotes more professionalism but it discourages raw passion. It's a hard line to walk. Do you want to share your successes with the masses? It will probably have to be G rated. Maybe that's where all the crazy vids went? Going wild and syched is not choosing words wisely, and it takes away from inner fires when pushing for PRs.

Frickin' wicked video Jedd! One of the best I've ever seen! The hard work shows.

This vid was great. The best part was Jedd sniffing the ammonia before the two hand pinch and he sniffed it so much it was stuck to his nose. I found that very funny.