Blob Measurements

3Crusher

I have an original 50 pound York blob. It is one of four that Richard Sorin originally made. Two of these blobs were sent to Dr. Ken Leistner and Dr. Randy Strossen. I believe the others went to John Brookfield, and John Ottarski (1st CoC, please correct me if I am wrong). A few years ago Dr. Ken sold his Iron Island gym, and as part of the sale of the gym, his blob stayed at the gym (all equipment had to stay at the gym as part of the sale). I couple of months ago, I wanted to borrow the blob from the current owner, because I wanted to take it to Bollenbach's gym with me in order for Heath, Pat, Ron Mazza, and myself to give it a shot at lifting it (only Heath succeeded that day). Instead, he offered to sell it to me. I jumped at the chance to buy it. There is much theft of equipment at commercial gyms, and also to the uneducated, the blob just looks like a useless chunk of metal and it may have tragically ended up in the junkyard. I felt I had an obligation to adopt it and give it a good and safe home. I saw Dr. Ken a few weeks after I got the blob, told him I had it, and asked him if he wanted it back. He said that he knew it was in good hands, thanked me for the offer, and told me to keep it. I feel honored to have this in my equipment collection. Anyway, I was wondering if my blob is any different in size than the current blobs. My blob is 4 inches across the top, and tapers to 6 inches wide in the middle. I have not yet taken height or diameter measurements, but I will, and will add this data to my post. To all who own a York 50 pound blob, when did you get it, and what are the measurements? Thanks.

Steve Weiner

My York 50 lb blob is 5'' in width at the widest point and 7 1/2'' in diameter. Surely all blobs of a given weight should be the same dimensions?

Brian Carlton posted fairly precise measurements on a number of different sizes of blobs in a post a couple of months ago. I know that he had the 50 pounder in there. I believe that the 45 and 50 are very similar in size. Do a search and see what you come up with.

Mike M.

OldGuy,

This is what I am trying to find out, because I have heard that the newer blobs are taller, but a bit more narrow across the top. What does your blob measure across the top?

I remeasured the blob using a more accurate method, and it came out to be as in this list compiled by Brian Carlton.

30 lb. blob

3-1/4" at top sloping out to 4-3/8"

35 lb. blob

3-9/16" at top sloping out to 5"

40 lb. blob

3-3/4" at top sloping out to 5-1/4"

45 lb. blob

3-13/16" at top sloping out to 5-1/2"

50 lb. blob

3-7/8" at top sloping out to 5-1/2"

If one wants to lie them on their side to lift them, as Wade stated he does, the diameters are as follows:

30 lb.- 6-3/8"

35 lb.- 6-1/2"

40 lb.- 6-13/16"

45 lb.- 6-15/16"

50 lb.- 7-7/16"

As I suspected, that old BLOB of Steve's is wider than the newer ones across the top by 1/8". I suspect York must have changed either their molds or foundries somewhere along the way.

I suspect an even shorter list of people who can and have lifted the original dimension York blobs. 1/8" doesn't sound like much, but it is a noticeably different feel.

The first Blob I lifted was one of Richard Sorin's orginal Blobs that he sent to Safe USA. It's the blob I am lifting in the picture on my site - the same picture Old Guy posted a link to a week ago. I lifted it the first day I touched it after about 20-30 tries. This Blob has always been harder for me to lift than mine but it might have more to do with proper warmup than anything. I have done the Sorin original left and right as well as passed around the back. If you are counting guys that have done the original Sorin Blobs it's Sorin, Brookfield, Ottarski, Gillingham, Sexton, and possibly Ahola and Pfister.

terminator,

You bet that 1/8" across the top makes a difference! The taper out to the sides of 1/2" makes a huge difference as well. Probably a bigger difference than the top width difference. My 32.5 pound blob is 3 1/2" across the top and tapers out to 5". I have duct taped an additional 23.75 pounds to this and deadlifted it fully. I figure when I can do about 60-62.5 on this contaption, I will be able to lift my 50 pounder. I wonder if I could lift a newer one? Hmmmmmmm. I'll get my hands on one and will try it soon. I want to get on Wade's list!!

Steve

I measured my blob by opening up a vise until it was the width of the blob. I did the same with the diameter. All I had to do was measure the opening. The width across the top is too hit or miss to measure due to the form and roundness of the corners. I am surprised that your blob is 6'' thick compared to other peoples 5 1/2''

I would think that the 1/2" extra inch on the slope of the 50 would make a huge difference as well.

All of this recent blob talk pleases the Blob Syndicate.

BC.

OldGuy,

I need to measure the height, as it would be logical that my blob would be shorter than yours. I'll check tonight.

bseedot,

I agree 100% with the difficulty associated with the difference in the slope.

Steve Weiner

Steve,

You want to go halfsies with me on a new blob? I'll buy it, cut it and send it to ya. Just let me know....

I sent four blobs as gifts to Dr. Ken,Scott Safe,John Brookfield and Dr. Strossen. My original is still in my office. It does seem fatter from side to side than more modern ones. Wade Gillingham remarked to me Scott Safe's blob was harder and thicker than his new one. I never knew back in the early 80's the blob one day would become popular...kinda makes me feel good. RS

Maybe a crew from the gripboard could go on tour....as...

The Blobs

HAH!

Here's a new one.

Has anyone been able to blob toss a 50 from hand to hand?

Who can complain as they used to that the gripboard was all grippers? Everything is covered here. It has become diversified and interesting for all.

Has anyone been able to blob toss a 50 from hand to hand?

Wade, go do that.

I just called Safe-USA. I was going to get some bumpers there anyway this weekend so I asked him if I could bring one of my Blobs out there and compare theirs with mine. I'll bring my tape measure too to get measurements of theirs and take some pics.

BC.

The one at Safe's is a Sorin original so I would bet it is identical to Steve W's. It's the slope to the center that is difficult. With the new blobs there is one side that has a bit of an edge on it. On the old one's it is totally symetrical and far more difficult to lift. BTW, my blob measurements were the same as BC's, 4" across the top and 5 1/2" center to center.

Wade

Yeah, I don't know if I was talking to Scott, but whoever it was did confirm that it was a Sorin original. Strange that I'm getting excited to see a 50 lb. chunk of iron but, then again, I've never denied my grip geekness ;)

BC.

Check to see if there is an inscription on it. Mine says "To what man can lift me? Underneath this, it is signed by Richard Sorin. Sadly is has faded greatly over time, but I was able to make out what it said.

I measured the Original Blob today using steel squares and steel ruler on a flat surface. 4 inches across top and 5 and 13/16" at the bulge.I haven't weighed it in a long time but I recall it being pretty much on the nose at 50#. have weighed MANY cast york dumbells that were way off their marked poundage but in most cases heavier(sometimes by pounds)My best was this one with 12 lbs added(62).My best for height was raising it and placing it on a 41inch high shelf. RS