Not The Optimal Temperature...

Ross Love

Ok.. So living in Southeast Texas, about 20 miles from the Gulf it is HOT and HUMID.... and really really HUMID lol.

I feel like im messing up by even attempting to train grip outdoors... I train at a Warehouse Gym. 4000 sq feet of pure awesomeness BUT it may as well be outdoors. No AC at all.

Yesterday sucked.. my chalk literally turned to paste and was slimey.

So my question is.. Are there other people in my boat? Do you train grip inside? I know a few of you guys do based on your videos.. but does anyone have success training outside? lol I see this going nowhere for me. Getting ready for the Arnold was no big deal I was training in 50 - 70 degree weather.. no sweat. Now its been about 110 degrees in the metal building and I instantly start sweating when I get out of my car.

Time to start training Grip at my house?

I train in my metal building as well - but we don't get temperatures anything like you guys. But it's still hot and humid enough to make friction lifts nasty. My best solution is to train early in the morning before it gets so bad. I have air conditioning in the building but never run it, the sweat feels good mostly - I just run a big floor fan I have. For anyone reading this and thinking about Nationals - I will have the AC on - I want to see some big 2HP and stuff happen. The wrist roller will be outside.

Ya I know what you mean.. 95 degrees at 9am the other day in good ole League City, Texas lol. Its rough this time of year.

Im thinking about just moving all my stuff to my house. Putting it in my spare bedroom and laying down horse stahl matts on the carpet.. lol Im not sure what the wife would say about that.

It gets pretty humid here as well. I end up putting on wrist sweat bands to keep the seat from running down my forearms onto my hands. Liquid grip as a base may help a little as well.

It runs in the 90's here all sumer with humidity about 376%, I try to train after dark.

I remember watching old worlds strongest man vids when marius was always winning and zavicus was still coming up and those guys were in some serious heat. I think hugo girard broke the overhead log lift world record that day. They were sweating bullets. Maybe its better to be prepared for it. However I'm in PA and some of my best workouts were done with the garage for open during one of our blizzards at my buddys house. Go figure

Parris

Ok.. So living in Southeast Texas, about 20 miles from the Gulf it is HOT and HUMID.... and really really HUMID lol.

I feel like im messing up by even attempting to train grip outdoors... I train at a Warehouse Gym. 4000 sq feet of pure awesomeness BUT it may as well be outdoors. No AC at all.

Yesterday sucked.. my chalk literally turned to paste and was slimey.

So my question is.. Are there other people in my boat? Do you train grip inside? I know a few of you guys do based on your videos.. but does anyone have success training outside? lol I see this going nowhere for me. Getting ready for the Arnold was no big deal I was training in 50 - 70 degree weather.. no sweat. Now its been about 110 degrees in the metal building and I instantly start sweating when I get out of my car.

Time to start training Grip at my house?

Ross - I actually have an easier time getting a grip on "friction lifts" - for me anything but grippers - if it is humid. Heat plus humidity can get too bad at times if I have water running off my arms and on my hands but I still find hot humid conditions easier than MN cold! If I have no moisture on my hands from sweat or humidity in the air/condensation on plates, I can't get chalk to work as good. The worst conditions are cold and dry for me. This stuff works really good too - might want to give it a try: http://www.grippersuperstore.com/store.aspx?cat_id=18&prod_id=137 This plus chalk and a towel might get you through.

Wade

As Jason said, Liquid chalk as a base will help seal pores. Then use regular chalk on top of it. It helps a little. Our hands need moisture to grip, think suction cup that doesn't seal but with a bit of water holds tight. I read of a climber who was born without sweat glands. He never used chalk but would spray water on his hands before a climb to get grip! Of course too much and it's a slippery mess. Same as with too much chalk on the hands.

Edited by daniel reinard

I live in GA, summer months are hot and humid, I train in my garage- no AC, no fan. I have gotten by with a towel and chalk as Wade mentioned. It is often 100deg+ in the garage, it's actually cooler outside...LOL. Once I really get sweating, I have to dry my arms/hands between lifts. I try to chalk right after drying and lift right away.

Wade.. I definitely fall into the sweat running down my whole body thing. Gonna have to do a better job of keeping them dry. Will take everyone suggestions into consideration.

Thanks

The only way I can train kettlebell overhead lifts is outside and yeah it is a major pain dealing with sweat issues. I wear wrist bands to keep as much sweat away from my hands as I can, but still end up sweating chalk off. Then it's time for the blisters! Hey, it's worth it. I love training outside anyway I can.

110 here today and I trained outside yesterday afternoon. Luckily we are not yet in our humid season. Liquid chalk may help and I use it in the hot humid swamp cooled gym we usually hold our comps at.

Edit: and ice cold beer is helpful too. :)

Edited by acorn

110 here today and I trained outside yesterday afternoon. Luckily we are not yet in our humid season. Liquid chalk may help and I use it in the hot humid swamp cooled gym we usually hold our comps at.

beer at the gym is awesome. When my gym does climbing comps it's free kegs and pizza. Good stuff too. :mosher

105 yesterday for me Aaron. Should be somewhat similar to your temps come WSH. If not I'll train with oily hands until then to keep up with the AZ guys.

Yes, cold beer helps cool and moisturize the hands plus reduces inflamation in the soft tissue of the palm.

Ross, I know what your mean, I get all my blob PR's in the winter. This hot humid Texas air is no good for grip. Im all for the cold beer trick, or 12 cold beers trick..

ya the day i was at Pauls comp in fort worth it was about 45 degrees and there was moisture in the gym.. May have been the best case scenario, ever! Lol

Yes, cold beer helps cool and moisturize the hands plus reduces inflamation in the soft tissue of the palm.

So you're saying if I drink more beer - I can pinch more weight? Sweet!

Ross - I actually have an easier time getting a grip on "friction lifts" - for me anything but grippers - if it is humid. Heat plus humidity can get too bad at times if I have water running off my arms and on my hands but I still find hot humid conditions easier than MN cold! If I have no moisture on my hands from sweat or humidity in the air/condensation on plates, I can't get chalk to work as good. The worst conditions are cold and dry for me. This stuff works really good too - might want to give it a try: http://www.grippersuperstore.com/store.aspx?cat_id=18&prod_id=137 This plus chalk and a towel might get you through.

Wade

Wade.. you know that Liquid Grip I used at The Arnold was Fragrance Free and Very White.. Afterwards I went to the LG Tent and got a sample bottle. It is an off white color and smells like Coconut lol .. in my opinion it does not work NEAR as well.. very weird.

I can't remember which brand I use for the liquid chalk. But its definitely not tacky. You don't want anything that would be tacky or leave a residue on an implement.

Also I cant remember if I've pinched more with beer fuel, but that has been the fuel for some of the craziest Bending things I've done when Paul has come out. I think I bent the Bastard, Big, Huge, Grand, and Magnificent bastards all in 5 minutes after a couple of Frosty Beverage fuel imbibements.

- Aaron

I can't remember which brand I use for the liquid chalk. But its definitely not tacky. You don't want anything that would be tacky or leave a residue on an implement.

Also I cant remember if I've pinched more with beer fuel, but that has been the fuel for some of the craziest Bending things I've done when Paul has come out. I think I bent the Bastard, Big, Huge, Grand, and Magnificent bastards all in 5 minutes after a couple of Frosty Beverage fuel imbibements.

- Aaron

Holy crap...I can't even bend Megan's bendie straws that fast!!

Wade

Wade.. you know that Liquid Grip I used at The Arnold was Fragrance Free and Very White.. Afterwards I went to the LG Tent and got a sample bottle. It is an off white color and smells like Coconut lol .. in my opinion it does not work NEAR as well.. very weird.

Interesting. I thought you were all using liquid grip...now I find out you had a juiced bottle! No wonder you all kicked my ass this year! As far as I know Liquid Grip has always been that off white coconut smell stuff. The only other liquid product I saw being used at MM was Dry Hands (http://grippersuperstore.com/store.aspx?cat_id=18&prod_id=138) but I don't know if that would work as good with the really wet conditions you are talking about. You would have to reapply it frequently. Personally I think Dry Hands is better with smooth surfaces but I would use Liquid Grip in high humidity as a base and apply chalk as needed during the workout.

If you apply an anti-perspirent made specifically for hyperhydrosis like Certaindri http://www.certaindri.com/Pages/CD_Home on your palms it keeps things pretty dry with chalk.

Funny on the friction lifts. The first time I was ever able to pull a blob was a day at Jedd's where it was so humid and wet from all the summer rain they had that all the implements were actually dripping wet. Towel dried them a bit, put a little chalk on and BAM it finally came up. :D I know back in Junior High when I was first learning to dunk a basketball, it was easier to get a grip on a rubber ball to palm it when your hands were a little wet. vbar is totally opposite for me. If it is humid at all, I lose a lot of pounds.

My garage gets so humid in the summer that I've had guests slip and fall down from the slickness. So I've had to get used to training in high humidity conditions over the past 10 years. I think that's why I like to chalk everything so much.