Arnold

Wade Gillingham

I once again ran the GNC Blob challenge in the GNC Pro Performance booth. I had about 350 signatures on the waiver form and since I was overrun most of the time I would guess at least that many others tried it before I could get them to sign the waiver. We had the same stipulation as at the Olympia - professional strongmen couldn't win the $50 for lifting it.

Odd Haugen, WSM competitor from Norway who's known for his grip, tried on friday but couldn't get it to move. He got up early saturday morning and worked out with some locals and others that were in town for the event. After working up to 400 in each hand on the farmers walk Odd's hands were ready to go when he got to the booth. He struggled but did lift the Blob to waist height. He couldn't duplicate the feat later in the day.

Richard Sorin snuck in when I was taking my only break of the day. Apparently after stalking the blob and growling at it a few times, he lifted it to around knee height or a little higher. I talked to Richard later that day and he told me he hadn't tried a blob in a long time. I'm actually surprised that he could do it this well without being warmed up. This was good stuff by Richard - this isn't a toy!

Other than these two a guy named Jay from Kentucky who was really a beast - 6'6", huge upper body, forearms and hands, cracked it off the ground about a 1/4 inch. He told me he does a lot of bending for youth ministry shows.

I had a guy that tried on friday and couldn't do it. He brought a very big ego to go with his huge body. On saturday he came back with his buddies and was sure he was going to lift it. After once again missing it he stormed out of the booth. A couple of attempts later I looked down and there were finger marks on the black surface that were now covered in chalk. Upon closer inspection it was clear that someone had tacky on their hands and i'm quite sure I know who it was. How embarassing for him to try to cheat and still be denied. If you can't lift this thing with tacky on you must have weak hands!

I was put down, laughed at, and generally disrespected for 3 days straight, but I got the last laugh in every time after lifting the blob an estimated 100 times, including twice on live tv. For those of you from the grip board that stopped by I appologize if I didn't talk to you much. It was hard to keep people honest and get them signed up and talk at the same time. So if I was short with you, I appologize.

As far as the #3 attempts go, Rick closed mine and someone else closed the #3 at the x-stremestrongman booth in front of Jesse Marunde. I don't know if this was the 16 year old that was mentioned earlier or not. John Wood was the only other person to close a #3 in front of a witness that I know of.

Wade

Next year you should get some of us smaller guys to stay at the booth with you and hoist it in front of all the jacked up dudes with jacked up egos.

Just think how they will feel when a 5'9" 198 pound guy picks it up and they cant!!!

I plan on giving that thing a ride if you have it there next year Wade-you can count on it!

Maybe the Gripboard should have their own booth? There would be a lot of disappointed pumpers out there once they got kicked down a notch or 2 at the booth. We could have red nail benders, #3 and possibly #4 closers (Heath??) blob and inch lifters, etc. It would be cool!

Thanks for everything Wade-you and your brother are class acts :bow

Rick Walker :rock

Wade,

Considering the stampede during the bench contest, you seemed in decent spirits. It was a pleasure to meet you. Thanks for the pic with my boys. They are only beginning to understand what its all about. Hopefully, I can find good men, and young men, that they can look up to as they grow. I've heard Brad's bicep was only a deep strain, not a tear. We wish the best for him.

Alex, Wade, and Bob

Alan

If you can't lift this thing with tacky, you must have weak hands!

:cry:cry

Wade, you're gonna make me cry, man! :cry I would need tacky on that thing just to give myself some sort of advantage over you big, strong dudes who eat blobs like that for breakfast!! :D

Now, if you'll excuse me... I'll go to my bedroom and have a nice sob session! *sniff* *sniff* :sleep

Snott,

He had big hands - probably bigger than mine. With that size mit and tacky he should have been able to lift it. I don't routinely use tacky but one time after doing stones I pinched a 2" wide plate that weighed somewhere around 125 pounds. I've never been close to this with just chalk - with tacky it was effortless.

I didn't mean to insult anyone with that statement except the cheater.

Wade

If you can't lift this thing with tacky, you must have weak hands!

:cry:cry

Wade, you're gonna make me cry, man! :cry I would need tacky on that thing just to give myself some sort of advantage over you big, strong dudes who eat blobs like that for breakfast!! :D

Now, if you'll excuse me... I'll go to my bedroom and have a nice sob session! *sniff* *sniff* :sleep

Go blub he he I almost had it with no tacky at dave hornes the day after 9 hours of lifting - use a bed sheet - ya gonna cry loads!

You could do with a 60lb blob really Steve ;)

Wade,

How much extra weight have you lifted oon the blob. Is it about 15lbs?

Yes, 15 pounds to a full deadlift position. You?

WOW :bow

Dave has designed a method for attaching more weight which we tried out last week. I had 4kg of extra weight on and got it to about knee height but the device had to be retired for the night as it sustained some damage. The new improved model should be ready for testing tonight so I'll try a bit more :).