Grip Competition In Perth Western Australia

Mikael Siversson

Together with Lee, I am organising a grip competition (Western Australian Grip Championship) in December or January. The precise date is yet to be determined and both Lee and I are rather flexible at this stage about the date.

It will be a four event competition including Redneck graded grippers (TNS both hands) in the 65-75 mm width range, 1HP (right and left) with a Europinch set up (calibrated weights), 2'' FBBC or LGC vbar (calibrated weights) and DH's wrist developer.

We will use a rounds system or rising bar depending on the number of competitors, and the standard four attempts per event.

Both Lee and I use 64mm width in the pinch so competitors wishing to use a narrower width need to indicate this at least a month before the competition so we can season the plates a bit further down where you grip them.

It is an open competition so we are welcoming competitors from the eastern states.

I will compete in the 82.5k class (assuming I can stay away from the ice-cream) whereas Lee will be in the heavyweight category.

Competition will take place in Perth, Saturday 21 January 2012 at 11am. People wishing to record results in the 82.5k category need to weigh in between 10-11am.

The 2'' FBBC vbar event is replaced with the 50mm LGC vbar. The latter has the advantage of accepting certified plates.

It should be a great competition with both world and national records within reach.

Venue is yet to be decided.

Competition will take place in Perth, Saturday 21 January 2012 at 11am. People wishing to record results in the 82.5k category need to weigh in between 10-11am.

The 2'' FBBC vbar event is replaced with the 50mm LGC vbar. The latter has the advantage of accepting certified plates.

It should be a great competition with both world and national records within reach.

LGC makes a 2 Inch Bar, not just the One Incher?

Yes, Arne Persson made a batch of 50mm (tube so much lighter than the FBBC) LGC vbars. Exactly the same type of high quality steel as used for the 25mm version.

LGC makes a 2 Inch Bar, not just the One Incher?

Will be looking forward to the numbers put up on the 2" vbar then. I hope to see you pull some big numbers Mikael! Does it feel similar to the FBBC version - as in texture, etc.?

Ben,

I will not pull any big numbers I am afraid as I am not very strong with the 2''. Lee, on the other hand, will pull big numbers. According to Lee (he is borrowing the LGC bar) the LGC bar is less sensitive to getting the perfect balance of chalk/moisture (it resists rust better I think he said). I think my best with the FBBC bar is 114k or thereabouts but Lee is much stronger (I beat him in the 1'' vbar though). I will do my best to improve.

I will beat the WR in the one hand pinch though (82.5k class) if it still stands at 39.35k in January, that I can guarantee.

At this stage I think I would put my money on Lee taking this comp as he is certainly better than me in both grippers TNS and 50mm vbar.

• 5 months later...

As indicated on Aussie Strength Forum, we are changing the date from Saturday 21 Januari to Saturday 4 February. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. The change of date is due to unforeseen work commitments for one of the organisers.

Rated some grippers today so there is now a good selection of them for the Perth competition (TNS both hands). I think we might add a couple of harder ones just in case (I certainly won't be needing any harder though). The three easy BSM's are all custom made.

All grippers are within the 65-75mm spread range (2 9/16 - 2 15/16).

#3 - 143

#3 - 140

BSM - 137

#2.5 - 129

#2.5 - 123

BSM - 120

BSM - 117

BSM - 115

BBM - 110

PDA - 93

#1.5 - 88

#1 - 78

#T - 60

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up. Grip competition Saturday 4 February at 11am, Muscle Pit Gym Perth.

http://www.musclepit.com.au/

Weigh-in between 9-11am.

Four events including:

Measured ('redneck calibrated') Grippers TNS both hands contested (spread in the 65-75mm range).

1HP Europinch, both hands contested, certified/weighed weights used

50mm LGC vbar, both hands contested, certified/weighed weights used

WristDeveloper - Orange Spring.

4 attempts as usual and rounds system. A lower weight/gripper cannot be attempted if you fail a lift so pick your weights with care.

Scoring according to simple strongman-style system.

There will be some new WR's by default (eg 50mm LGC vbar so please don't laugh at the modest weights pulled).