How To Do The Two Hands Pinch

Jedd Johnson

Guys, I plan on doing a series of videos demonstrating some of the most common lifts in Grip Sport and I thought I would start off with my favorite lift, the Two Hands Pinch. Maybe if some of you have never seen the events, this will help you out in understanding what we do at contests.

How to do the Two Hands Pinch for a Grip Contest

If you have any questions about how to do the lift, please post here or in the comments section under the video at YouTube.

Thanks and all the best in your training.

Jedd

Jedd thanks for the Q&A brother!

What kind of rep/volume scheme and weekly frequency would you use if you were limiting your other grip work to make this a priority lift?

Can you give any tips about hand placement?

Bryan

It's very hard to suggest volume for someone I do not know, because I do not know how you recover. I would say start out at one day a week with 12 to 20 reps and then try to work up to two days every 10 days.

For hand placement, everyone is different. I'm sorry I am not being more specific but you have to ply around with it and find what works best for you. It took me until 2008 to figure out the right way to do it and I imagine there are some tweeks I could still make if I cornered David Horne or Steve Gardener in a room for a Pinch workout.

Jedd

Thank you for the post. I want to improve on this lift. I was wondering how high the bar thing was. Now I know!

One more question Jedd,

How important do you think training your dynamic pinch (TTK, clamps) is when thinking about crossover to your 2HP?

Thanks again man,

Bryan

I do dynamic stuff as much as static stuff, personally.

I don't think others do it that much. It seems like they do mostly a variety of widths statically versus working dynamically. If it works, don't fix it, right?

Jedd

I know the subject has come up with me before, but I have been reading that some of the guys are already cleaning their new 2hp. What is your take on cleaning or careing for your personal apparatus, assuming its not during a comp, and for the heck of it what do you want for the protocal during a comp as well.

Thanks

Parris

At Eaton's house we cleaned his 2 hp by wiping all the dust off it. :D

thanks for the info, Jedd. How long is the pipe that goes through the discs and plates?

Mine is a little over 3 feet if I remember correctly.

Jedd

I know the subject has come up with me before, but I have been reading that some of the guys are already cleaning their new 2hp. What is your take on cleaning or careing for your personal apparatus, assuming its not during a comp, and for the heck of it what do you want for the protocal during a comp as well.

Thanks

Parris

Parris,

What people do with their own pinch apparatus is up to them. What you, did/wanted to do, was called into question because it was a seasoned apparatus in the middle of a competition. The way I heard you wanted to take it down to the bare steel.

If you run a comp, use your own app, and want to do that, I don't think it is against the rules, but it would seem like you would be cutting the numbers down drastically. However, mayve it won't make that big of a difference. I was pinching on Nick R's home made pinch device once and it was fairly clear of seasoning and I still got 245, which may have been a PR at the time, so who knows.

I don't think cleaning the apparatus off is included in David Horne's rules - I know it is not addressed on the GripSport.org page.

Just my thoughts. What it comes down to is please don't clean of my Euro Setup.

Jedd

At Eaton's house we cleaned his 2 hp by wiping all the dust off it. :D

Why don't you go over and shake that guy or something? All that potential being wasted - sickening.

Thanks for the reply. I have another question. The european guys have a PR records day I have seen. This enables you to preform without worring about a lot of events to tired u out. Has any one ever yhought of doing something like this here in the states. And would those lifts count as official since it was not a full contest.

Parris

I have seen that they have record breaker days. Honestly, I don't think one-lift comps or record breaker comps should count, unless they are obviously marked. That's just how I feel.

Have I thought about running a comp like that? Yes, but in the end it never seems right so I don't do it.

What Jedd said plus Euro guys (especially the Brits) are a lot closer together than we are - heck - we have trouble getting people to show up at a full contest with trophies, prizes, food etc - many times travel is 8 to 10 hours here in the states. If Americans won't travel for a full on competition - what makes you think they would travel just as far for just one event? Oh sure we Ohio boys could pull it off but it doesn't seem quite fair to call that a Record Days Comp - at least to me.

Well thats it i guess no food, no prizes, couple friends get together and anounce it prior on the web site so others could come if they wanted to. less pressure??? no headache for the promoters ol lady? other than that i do agree travel time yea it sucks. heck Jedd is only a couple hours away and my henpecked self couldnt even go to nationals. but some of the guys that do live close to eachother may enjoy doing something like that for fun now and then and boost yor own record on an event that usually ends up 2nd or third or 4th in full blown contest. Not to mention as of now a record day is still a record and is not currently marked seperately on the record lists we all strive to get our names on. fair or not.

I saw find out what would constitutes a "record day" from the Britts and let it happen in the states if someone wants to hold one.....

Parris

Parris, if you want to take that as an action to find out how those record contests are administered, that would be great.

Also, in an unrelated item, you can qualify for Nationals on-line the next 4 weeks (including this one), in case you haven't seen the various posts...

Parris, if you want to take that as an action to find out how those record contests are administered, that would be great.

Also, in an unrelated item, you can qualify for Nationals on-line the next 4 weeks (including this one), in case you haven't seen the various posts...

Done deal, i posted questions directly to D.H. regarding a Records Day venue. You'll be able to read the results when available on line and make decisions about it, or trump it.

As far as me coming to nationals I doubt it, I'm tweaking some things right now and as usual working opposite shifts with my wife including weekends till I'm done with nursing school. I would hate to qualify and take a seat from someone who deserves it.

Parris

Well that's a good point.

Brother, please paste the response from DH over here because I don't go to all the forums each day except this one.

Ok he said he'll do it after breakfast. Ill see if he is cool with the pasteing.

That or just paste the link or PM me - I just don't want to hunt for it. Thanks.

Regarding cleaning the surfaces: is there anything in the rules that prevents someone from rotating the disks? For example, Parris could pinch on clean spot and Jedd could pinch on a seasoned one. I know I have spots on my device that are definitely better than others and after a long set the disks will rotate a little so I'll roll them back to where I want them before the next set.

Regarding cleaning the surfaces: is there anything in the rules that prevents someone from rotating the disks? For example, Parris could pinch on clean spot and Jedd could pinch on a seasoned one. I know I have spots on my device that are definitely better than others and after a long set the disks will rotate a little so I'll roll them back to where I want them before the next set.

You could do that, ive never seen any thing in the rules about it. but im not interested I would just use the same spot as everyone else, and do my best.

Parris

Nothing in the rules to prevent that.

I actually train that way at times - clean plates require clean hands but my lifts aren't all that much different really.