Muscle Imbalance

Grip_noob

Hi

I'm kinda new to grip training and been doing David Hornes beginners program for some time now. I'm much stronger in wrist curl, than in reverse wrist curl, which I think is quite common. The problem is that I can progress the weight in wrist curl almost every training session, but my reverse wrist curl is almost the same as when I started and can't progress the weight at all. Is it stupid to keep making the gap between the two exercises bigger and thereby making the muscle imbalance greater or should I just proceed and hope the reverse curl will go up with time?

Hi Noob,

The reverse wrist curl will always be much lower because of the bio mechanics of the hand, wrist and forearm.

Just keep on plodding along with the routine and add new things now and again.

If David Horne recommended it you won't go far wrong.

Best of luck with your traing.

Chris.

Hi Noob,

The reverse wrist curl will always be much lower because of the bio mechanics of the hand, wrist and forearm.

Just keep on plodding along with the routine and add new things now and again.

If David Horne recommended it you won't go far wrong.

Best of luck with your traing.

Chris.

I'm aware that the wrist curl always will be bigger, but it was more the ratio between the lifts I was curious about. When I started wrist curl was about double my reverse wrist curl, but now its more like 4 times bigger?

But thank you for the answer, I will continue the David Horne Routine and hopefully post some videos of some pinch feats in the short future. Have done 3x20kg two-handed plate pinch for 15sec hold, but just can't get 3x10kg off the ground with one hand, but think I will get it soon :D

I personally don't like the barbell reverse wrist curl much. I've done it for periods and my best workout poundages never got above 30 kg (two hands) for 20+ reps. And that's ridiculous compared to the wrist curl poundages & progression, just like you said. I bet the wrist curl devices would make a big difference. But if you don't have these handy, try front-levering with hammer. Work the same muscles and make for a nice feat you can impress your buddies with :)

The reverse wrist curl is something else. You can try to do more sets and higher reps than on the normal wrist curl, seems to work better for the reverse wrist curl a lot of times. When done with these you can go back to lower reps. Also good hand placement is really important in the reverse wrist curl. I often experience a ''pop'' in the wrist in reverse wrist curls, try to avoid that. Also you can throw in some other exercises wich replace the reverse wrist curl as its still an important area to train.

Good mix ups will be wrist roller reverse, standing reverse curls on barbell 1inch 2 inch 3 inch for different strengths. thick bar reverse curls can give a nice burn (strict or even cheat curls) and i really recommend them.

You can try some front and side levers too but they don't exactly train the same thing.

So my tips would be:

-Go for highers reps go for the burn really!, add some heavier lower reps on the end maybe. (or go for low reps if you want)

-More sets

-good hand weight placement

-mix it up with other exercises

Its a little muscle but it still needs some care

Training higher reps in this exercise will give you more 'feel' in those muscles

Good luck :D

The reverse wrist curl is something else. You can try to do more sets and higher reps than on the normal wrist curl, seems to work better for the reverse wrist curl a lot of times. When done with these you can go back to lower reps. Also good hand placement is really important in the reverse wrist curl. I often experience a ''pop'' in the wrist in reverse wrist curls, try to avoid that. Also you can throw in some other exercises wich replace the reverse wrist curl as its still an important area to train.

Good mix ups will be wrist roller reverse, standing reverse curls on barbell 1inch 2 inch 3 inch for different strengths. thick bar reverse curls can give a nice burn (strict or even cheat curls) and i really recommend them.

You can try some front and side levers too but they don't exactly train the same thing.

So my tips would be:

-Go for highers reps go for the burn really!, add some heavier lower reps on the end maybe. (or go for low reps if you want)

-More sets

-good hand weight placement

-mix it up with other exercises

Its a little muscle but it still needs some care

Training higher reps in this exercise will give you more 'feel' in those muscles

Good luck :D

Thank you for the elaborate answer, I will try some of those things out and see how it works :)

Make your extensors as strong as possible - make your flexors as strong as possible - don't over think things - problem solved.

Make your extensors as strong as possible - make your flexors as strong as possible - don't over think things - problem solved.

The thumb is stressed rather strongly on the reverse wrist curl and is often the cause of missing a rep, so any "imbalance" is less than you may think, so like Chris says: "don't over think things",