Anyone Lift Kettlebells Upside Down?

Scott Styles

Stand a kettlebell on its handle, pinch across the bottom, and pick it up. I was playing around with this and can barely do my 12k kettlebell. The 16k seems attainable if I were stronger. Hand size prevents me from spanning anything bigger. I suppose I could tie weight to the handle for more resistance.

Anyone else do this? What are you picking up?

thats cool man never heard of that variation sweet:) I will be tring that soon!

I've done it before. It's a really cool lift. I have only done it with a 25 lb. bell that my gym has. I haven't had access to a 30 or 35 to give it a shot. The cool thing is you can add weight using a shoestring just like people use on blobs and put the shoestring through the handle.

I've written a couple articles that cover this.

One was a guest article by Charlie Coats: http://www.dieselcrew.com/training-grip-strength-for-basketball-players

Also, wrote one for my buddy Murph at TPS in January: http://www.totalperformancesports.com/index.php/knowledge/the-diesel-injection/194-january-2011-kettlebell-grip

Hope this helps add to your knowledge base.

Jedd

Adam just had two of these in his medley. Sorry I don't know the sizes. The larger one was the only item in the medley that Adam didn't get.

The ones he used had a flat spot on the edge and were slightly easier to lift if you put your thumb there.

Nice articles Jedd. Any idea what someone with a world class pinch grip can do just picking up a kettlebell like this? I see you mention throwing a 30lber hand to hand in the article. In my experience with block weights, that move requires going 5-10lbs lighter than a basic deadlift.

My hand is 7" and barely spans the base of my 16k bell. I can move it off the ground with a two hand pinch. Based on that, I'm guessing a 20k bell might be attainable for a strong person with bigger hands. I would be really suprised if anyone is lifting a 24k bell or heavier.

Good to know about Adam's contest. I'm placing my thumb on the flat spot on the face of the kettlebell as well. I wonder what the weights were...

Scott,

Ya gotta understand that my 30-lber is coated in rubber, so it is WAY easier. I don't have a 16-kg, so I am not sure if I could lift it. I highly doubt I can gut pop it. I'd love to try though.

Found a video from the contest, the kettlebell he misses is a 16k:

Thanks for the quick response Jedd. Based on what you say and the video of Adam, the 16k must be quite a bit harder than I initially thought.

Here's another video of a medley with the lift in it. That kettlebell looks bigger than a 12k, I'm guessing it's a 16.

Here's another video of a medley with the lift in it. That kettlebell looks bigger than a 12k, I'm guessing it's a 16.

Thanks for sharing this link. That was a great video.

I've done this quite a bit. I can very easily grab my 12kg, but the 16kg is too much. I haven't tried in months so maybe after deadlifts today if I remember I will give the 16kg a shot. I spray painted all of my KBs competition colors with gloss spray paint, so they are very slick.

A 12kg bell is a good mark, attainable by many. The 16kg is pretty freaking tough. One of the relative factors is what the bell is coated in. The oldest model and newer model DD bells have a slippery epoxy coating. The mid year bells (2005-2009) have a flatter matted finish which is easier to grasp.

I'm getting a lot better on blobs and block weights, and my 53 lbs hex (half of 100) still feels far easier than a 16kg bell.