Slim Farman - York Museum Induction

Jedd Johnson

On May 21, they are inducting Slim the Hammer Man Farman into the York Barbell Museum in York, PA. I believe all that stuff starts at 10 AM

Is anyone from the Gripboard planning on attending?

I know I plan on being there, and I may end up visiting a friend of mine, Niko Hulslander, at his gym in a nearby town. Would anyone be interested in getting together for a huge Grip Training Session in the afternoon on May 21 at his gym in Brogue, PA?

Wondering what the interest is. The address on the gym is 2512 Delta Road, Brogue, PA 17309.

I am already planning on bringing an Inch Dumbbell. I can also throw my Pinch Set-up in the car as well.

Hit it up here.

Jedd

Mary Ann and I will be there. I can finally get some video of me lifting the inch.

I'll be at the York Barbell event too. That would be awesome if you brought the inch. Ever since I tried lifting it at the Arnold I've been training to lift it.

Damn, thats 2 hours away for me. Do you know if Slim will be performing and also if there are any costs?

I will be there!!! Iam about a 30-40min drive away!

I just got back from visiting the York Barbell facility and I was talking to Mike Locondro and Tim Bonitz about the event. Sounds like there's going to be some great people in attendance including Dennis Rogers and Pat Povilaitis among a lot of other names I can't remember. They will be raffling off items donated to the event by different companies like Fat Gripz, Stronger Grip, signed pictures by Slim and other things. There's Krav Maga, Crossfit, and kettlebell guys like Dave Whitley doing demos and challenges too. Mike told me about so much stuff I can't remember a lot of it but I'm really excited about it. All proceeds are of course going to the Wounded Warriors Project so it's going to be a fun time for everyone to gather and meet people, bend some steel and rip phonebooks.

I do not think Slim is going to perform. I think he is just going to be taking it all in.

Is anybody interested in doing the workout thing? I want to know if I should bring my Euro Pinch along with the Inch and Vulcan...

I think it is going to be a Once in a Lifetime gathering that, if you have the opportunity to go, you should. I am jealous that I will not be going. I even considered having my son pass the hat for me to attend (it is the weekend after my birthday), but the time, energy, and cost for something a few hours long is very difficult to justify. I live 60 miles from a major airport, 3000 miles away from York, and York does not have a major airport. Hotel, food, car rental, plane fare, airport parking, gas, going by yourself...

The people attending will be a combination of old and new hard core strength fans from as many generations as humanly possible. Some "legends", some that you have never heard of and will never hear of, and some that you will hear of in the future.

Even if you think that a 76 almost 77 year old man is "irrelevant" in today's strength world (and there are those who believe that), there is a group of young and middle-aged fellows who have been very strongly influenced by him who do not post on any type of forums, who do not enter competitions, who can do amazing things and will be in attendance.

Major Movie Star ( :tongue ) Stanless Steel and his co-star Barbara will both be there. He has known Slim since he was a child (Slim: "he was bigger every time I saw him").

The Mighty Atom's son Mike will be there. He is well into his 90s.

Former York Barbell employee and trainer "Smitty", who was onscreen in the movie Bigger Stronger Faster, and who has more dirt on steroid use for 1950s to 1960s American Strength Legends than any person past or present will be there.

Slim's wife is in poor health, and has been in poor health for about two years. At AOBS in October, no one knew if he was going to attend, and no one expected him to perform. He arrived the afternoon of the dinner (he usually arrives during the afternoon the day before), and made his decision to perform just hours before the dinner. From her wheelchair, Mrs. Farman told me that just a few weeks before the dinner she encouraged Slim to start working out again, as he had been her full-time care provider, and had not done any training. When he performed that night, people were in awe, as the audience was fully aware of what he had been going through. It was awesome.

No one is expecting Slim to perform. If he does, it would without doubt be the last time that he does. It would not surprise me if he brought his hammers, and at the last minute, with no training, if just for old-times sake, he pulled some of them out and did a feat or two. You East Coasters can be there without much trouble, and that, would be something to remember for a Lifetime. And I will be REALLY jealous. I never get jealous of anyone for anything.

Let me know if I made an impact on any person on the border of going, as it will at least make me feel better about having missed it (even though I will be jealous of you :tongue )

I do not think Slim is going to perform. I think he is just going to be taking it all in.

Is anybody interested in doing the workout thing? I want to know if I should bring my Euro Pinch along with the Inch and Vulcan...

I'll be there for the workout. any idea what time we'll be heading to the gym?

It looks as though the inductions will take place at Noon. I will stay for that and maybe for a bit afterwards, and then I want to get to trainin'.

Anybody else going to this?

I am going to bring a Blob, my Inch and my Pinch. If there are no requests for other stuff to be brought, then I won't bother loading my car any more than that. But if someone is dying to try out a Fatman Clone or something, please let me know.

On May 21, they are inducting Slim the Hammer Man Farman into the York Barbell Museum in York, PA. I believe all that stuff starts at 10 AM

Is anyone from the Gripboard planning on attending?

I know I plan on being there, and I may end up visiting a friend of mine, Niko Hulslander, at his gym in a nearby town. Would anyone be interested in getting together for a huge Grip Training Session in the afternoon on May 21 at his gym in Brogue, PA?

Wondering what the interest is. The address on the gym is 2512 Delta Road, Brogue, PA 17309.

I am already planning on bringing an Inch Dumbbell. I can also throw my Pinch Set-up in the car as well.

Hit it up here.

Jedd

Wish I could go, always wanted to meet a true strongman n finally hear he's going in...about time :bow :bow :bow

Here are some other people I know will be there - it ain't just the Slim induction, guys.

Mike Krivka will have a Kettlebell Demo

Dan Cenidoza will be bending a variety of steel and other feats

Jerry Shreck - Strength coach from Bucknell - guy is a genius

Dave Bellomo - Used to do a lot with Kettlebells, knows John Brookfield personally

There is also going to be a Grip Feat Challenge, including the Inch Dumbbell (mine) and other items.

I also know that the Iron Tamer Dave Whitley (Senior RKC) will be there, Pat Povilaitis, Dennis Rogers, I imagine Steve Weiner, but I am not sure. Lots of greats in the strength world will be there.

It looks as though the inductions will take place at Noon. I will stay for that and maybe for a bit afterwards, and then I want to get to trainin'.

Anybody else going to this?

I am going to bring a Blob, my Inch and my Pinch. If there are no requests for other stuff to be brought, then I won't bother loading my car any more than that. But if someone is dying to try out a Fatman Clone or something, please let me know.

Wayne and I are going Jedd and we are down to go to the gym after.

I may throw a Blob into the car.

Maybe the Clone as well.

How lucky you are to get to go to such events.

I'm jealous !

Although Slim is coming to the end of a great career as a strongman, we are lucky that other modern strongmen like Pat , Dennis Rogers , Jedd , etc

are keeping this gendre alive and are just as good as the "Golden Era" of strongmen are.

My grandfather appears in Son's of Samson Vol 1 and he was a tremendous strongman and instructed me in the art of kettlebells and such over 30 years ago.I didn't realise at the time how lucky i was to have learnt off him and stories of him and Bert Assiratti and others.

Try and sit with Slim and take in the nostalgia and the stories , have a lovely time whoever is going .

I will raise a "stein" in honour !!

Jedd- I would love to be there, but I am unable to make it.

UUUUGGGGHHH!

I was counting on you being there bro. Darn it!

Hey Jedd. I have an Inch replica and a Blob also. If you wanna lug 1 or 2 less things let me know. Or if someone is interested in a double lift/farmers with one of those things let me know and I'll bring it. Also what are you guys gonna wear? Sorry if that's a dumb question but is it casual or what? I dont wanna be the only guy without a button up shirt on and look like a jerk.

Jedd- I would love to be there, but I am unable to make it.

UUUUGGGGHHH!

I was counting on you being there bro. Darn it!

You will just have to find someone else to airplane spin you!! And you will have to find somebody else to clothesline!!

My workshop for this Saturday has just been cancelled. Working on getting out to this, what is the address for the York Museum. Going to be a blitz of a weekend, but this is an event I don't want to miss.

Hey Jedd. I have an Inch replica and a Blob also. If you wanna lug 1 or 2 less things let me know. Or if someone is interested in a double lift/farmers with one of those things let me know and I'll bring it. Also what are you guys gonna wear? Sorry if that's a dumb question but is it casual or what? I dont wanna be the only guy without a button up shirt on and look like a jerk.

Wayne, please please bring your inch and blob. I love trying out other people's Inch Replicas because mine is on the easier side. Blob too please if it is not too much trouble.

I believe I will be leaving the York station to head to the other gym around 2 or 2:30...

Andrew, I can not find the address on their site. It is right off the highway. Rte 83 I think...

Thanks Brian!

I also want to post the address of the gym that I will be going to for the workout. Probably will skip out of York around 2 or 2:30 and head to Vision Fitness, owned by Niko Hulslander. He is from the same county as me and he is an awesome bench presser and powerlifting coach.

The address is: 2512 Delta Road, Brogue, PA 17309

Who's going???