Rolling Thunder At Bodypower

mobsterone

In a few short weeks we have the Bodypower Expo at the NEC. Some part of the weekend I'll be working with my buddies Ultimate Grip (stand C60) but the other focus for me is the Rolling Thunder Challenge.

I've been training using both of the two handles we have here at the Gloucester Strongman Training facility. One is my new, relatively, handle and the other an older stiffer one. Right now I'm loading in excess of 100-kilos (220lbs) onto the pin, handle and clip for multiple singles with my right hand using the newer handle. Using the older version I'm loading in excess of 130-kilos (286lbs).

If there's an issue it's the inability to be able to compare these two handles I'm using with a new (2010) model. At least in a meaningful way. I DO know that I pulled 276lbs on Sam Solimi's new 2010 handle back when Mark Felix pulled 271lbs in the same year at a contest. This makes it difficult to plan weight selections on the day.

Add in the number of gripper closes I'll be doing to pay my way on the Saturday (the RT event being Sunday morning) and my getting the Joe's (it being a Joe vs. Pro style event) together to qualify by pulling at least 90-kilos on the 2010 handle and I have to take special care not to over do it in any way. Maybe any demos I do need to be all left handed...

More than anything, both for myself and the 'Joe's', the opportunity to be on the same stage as the pro's is one not to be missed. With the current record holder Mark Felix you can also add Laurence Shahlaei and Terry Hollands. Ref is a BSM Mick Gosling and MC (now tuned into the rules and nuances) Les Wiltshire. That the crowd pretty much numbers in excess of 1000 all day long and the Joe's, more than anyone, can get to see what it's like being out there.

Can they do it? Can I?

What time is it starting mate? is there anything gripwise on the Sat?

I'll bed with Ultimate Grip on stand C60 so I am sure to bring some toys with me.

What time is it starting mate? is there anything gripwise on the Sat?

I'll be with Ultimate Grip so I am sure to bring some toys with me.

• 2 weeks later...

http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2011/May/Mark_Felix_Wants_to_Break_Rolling_Thunder_World_Record.html

<< Previous NewsNext News >>Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mark Felix Wants to Break Rolling Thunder World Record

by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2011 IronMind

“Well Fe turned 45, (lol), and we have been busy getting things together for Bodypower,(in two weeks),” Denny Felix reported to IronMind as her strongman-gripmaster husband, Mark Felix, is “hoping to beat his 301 lb. on the new handle."

mark-felix-260_lg.jpg

Mark Felix manhandled 260 lb. on the Rolling Thunder at the Los Angeles FitExpo earlier this year, and he's primed to break the world record—his world record. IronMind® | Randall J. Strossen photo.

“Training has been going good (he’s keeping hush), but really wants to break another record on home soil,” Denny Felix said.

“I’ve sent him to the gym tonight with camcorder in hand for a Rolling Thunder video, get a bit of hype going for our British Rolling Thunder Championships,” Denny said.

Speaking of another strongman-gripmaster, Denny said, “Brian Shaw will be coming over for the weekend as a guest and I’m hoping he might be tempted to take part in the Rolling Thunder.

“We will have Steve Gardener looking to take scalps and Loz [Laurence Shahlaei], with some of the other athletes from Saturday if they can make the [opening] weight."

On the strongman side of things, Denny said, "We are good to go on Saturday with our Opens and Heavies, 30 guys in

each, all events head-to-head, one being the IronMind sack loading again."

So, it's strongman on Saturday, May 21 and the 2nd Annual British Rolling Thunder Championships on Sunday, May 22. For full details, please visit the official website.

I love the Rolling Thunder, and I like watching the competitions as well. A few years back, I actually paid to watch that webcast of the World Championships (it was only $10) when M Felix pulled his 301.

Felix is the undisputed Rolling Thunder Champion, so that sounds very cool to be able to go head-to-head with him. It is an event that is watched by all kinds of people, so that should be a lot of fun as well.

I think by going with the lower level early weight selections with the less dominant hand you can get a feel for what kind of day you are going to have, which can help with weight selection on the heavier rounds with your dominant hand. We don't talk about it much, but I swear that sometimes your own skin texture/moisture/etc has a big impact, and that it practically varies day to day. I haven't figured out yet in terms of hydration/foods that are good or bad for that, but if someone ever discovers what works, I would like to hear about it.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys who will be in the tournament - a huge request to film on video and on YouTube.

felix - 123 (failed 128)

steve - 118

brian shaw - 118

Edited by Kashtan

felix - 123 (failed 128)

steve - 118

brian shaw - 118

Good job Steve.

Cheers guys. I spoke to Brian after reminding him of his start (via YT) in grip and said I was happy to be in the last few with two WSM competitors representing the pure grip guys.

Steve,

That converts to 260 pounds (as of course you know).

260 pounds, in a competition, on the "new handle". I don't think there are 5 guys that have done that yet. In the Vise Grip Viking Challenge in LA in January, Felix won with 260. Haugen, Wade, and Andrew, all very good RT guys, did not lift that amount. And, the RT was the First Event of the Grip Contest, so fatigue was not a factor.

It puts you in Elite Rolling Thunder class. I know you have pulled numbers bigger than that, but you know, practice, used handles, old handles, etc. In this environment, under competition conditions, this puts you in the "beyond reproach" Elite Class as far as I am concerned.

And, BRIAN SHAW did not outpull you! I have said to many people that I expect Brian to be the Heir Apparent to WSM as well as Grip King.

Mark Felix seems like a real nice fellow from my observations of him.

Congratulations! :rock

Edited by Hubgeezer