Just An Idea Something To Try........

1stCoC

This is something that just screams "Chris Rice" Suspend overhead a pair of grippers about shoulder width apart. Use a strap, rope or something that will easily go through spring hole. Now depending on high they are suspended (how much of your legs/feet have to be off ground)squeeze both the grippers shut and then while shut do a strict chin to spring level. That would seem to be a pretty interesting feat. I know all the big 300lb. plus crowd will feel slighted but lets go for it! A pair of 2.5-3s would be nice!RS

This is something that just screams "Chris Rice" Suspend overhead a pair of grippers about shoulder width apart. Use a strap, rope or something that will easily go through spring hole. Now depending on high they are suspended (how much of your legs/feet have to be off ground)squeeze both the grippers shut and then while shut do a strict chin to spring level. That would seem to be a pretty interesting feat. I know all the big 300lb. plus crowd will feel slighted but lets go for it! A pair of 2.5-3s would be nice!RS

I will try this. Except I don't have two of any gripper, but my left is weaker anyway. I might be able to do a BBM and #2 or something.

What video would be good for this? A far shot showing the pull up, or a closer shot showing the grippers, or what do you think?

Maintaining an extended wrist position will be one of the hardest parts of this feat.

I just came in from my workout and saw this - went back out and did a #1 left and 1 1/2 right. Then 2 1/2 left and 2 1/2 right - harder grippers were actually easier I think (better knurling I think was the reason). It's hard at the very top of the chin as your arm angle changes but no big deal really. Next time Nick is down I'll have him take a video of it. Oh don't worry about closing the gripper, that happens kind of automatically.

Edited by climber511

I just went and looked at what Brad is doing on Odin's link - now that is pretty insane looking! :rock :rock :rock

I always pictured this in a different way: you hang two STRAPS frmo the ceiling. You use a gripper to close it against the strap and that's what you hold on to. Sortof how Brad is doing it in that link, but I always thought it would be better to use the gripper in an inverted possition (with the spring down). So you shut it, inverted, against the straps and you pull-up from there.

Maybe the big strong guys can do it using Trainers or #1's in this manner???

In the way Mr. Sorin describes, hanging the gripper itself from the spring, I have a feeling you could do a pull-up off them without fully shutting the gripper??? Or am I missing something? I bet if I hang two #4's I can just squeeze them hard and do a pull-up but the handles will barely move, lol.

Nice, great idea...will have to try it out at sometime :happy

I just came in from my workout and saw this - went back out and did a #1 left and 1 1/2 right. Then 2 1/2 left and 2 1/2 right - harder grippers were actually easier I think (better knurling I think was the reason). It's hard at the very top of the chin as your arm angle changes but no big deal really. Next time Nick is down I'll have him take a video of it. Oh don't worry about closing the gripper, that happens kind of automatically.

Actually I had Teresa watch and the 2.5s aren't completely closed all the way thru the chin up - close but no cigar. The weaker grippers are actually harder if the object to keep the grippers absolutely shut. Like I assume it is.

I think the feat would be described best as a "three stage" feat. Close grippers first and hold them shut, get into a straight arm full hanging stop position with feet off floor, then, from a "dead stop" start do a chin/pullup to sping level.I think once you closed the gripper the pulling down of your body weight would help keep the grippers shut. It would be a nice video. Paul Knight banging this out a pair of 3's would be a sight. I saw big Tex at about 400lbs do several sets of multi rep pullups...I wonder if a man that big could do something like this?RS