Deadlift Lockouts.

Saris

If you do a deadlift lockout in a power rack with maybe a 6-inch range of motion or slightly more, what would be a good weight to aim for? How much do you think an average man could lift without training? Do you know any records? I have a vague memory of reading about Richard Sorin doing over 1300 pounds, but I think his range of motion might have been shorter.

If you do a deadlift lockout in a power rack with maybe a 6-inch range of motion or slightly more, what would be a good weight to aim for? How much do you think an average man could lift without training? Do you know any records? I have a vague memory of reading about Richard Sorin doing over 1300 pounds, but I think his range of motion might have been shorter.

Chris James posted this in his log very recently:

"Partials deadlifts from bottom of thigh/ top of knee .. up to 560kg x 3 frot grip used no straps."

That's 1235 pounds. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that if he only does a single max-effort repetition, and uses a mixed grip.... he'd do a lot. No idea how much though but I bet over 1300 seeing he did 1235 for reps with a DO grip.

Yeahh I saw that post by Chris James about that 560 kg with a DO grip. That is just unreal to me and I would love to see a video of that because it is a great feat to hold onto that kinda weight with a mixed grip let alone a DO grip!!

That´s an incredible amount of weight! I think Sorin lifted something like 607 kilos, but that was for one rep and with a mixed grip without straps. I too use a strapless mixed grip. Any thoughts regarding average untrained strength?

An average male who is not overweight and does no strength training would probably have a hard time deadlifting 300 pounds with straps. So I'm guessing the answer to your question is that a person with average untrained strength could probably not lift much in the manner you are referring to.

An average male who is not overweight and does no strength training would probably have a hard time deadlifting 300 pounds with straps. So I'm guessing the answer to your question is that a person with average untrained strength could probably not lift much in the manner you are referring to.

Why would you compare yourself with an average untrained male? If the only goal was to be stronger than the "average untrained male", most people could just quit after their first year in the gym and consider their goals achieved. :tongue

But to answer your question, I bet most "average untrained males" never tried a partial DL lockout in their first sessions. Maybe you'll have more luck trying to findout what people deadlifted their first session, but lockouts are for the more advanced lifter I think.

Why would you compare yourself with an average untrained male? If the only goal was to be stronger than the "average untrained male", most people could just quit after their first year in the gym and consider their goals achieved. :tongue

Where do you see me comparing myself to people who don't train? I'm answering his question.

thewalrus: I was actually talking to him! Sorry for the confusion, I shouldn't have quoted your post. :upsidedwn

I compare myself to the average untrained since my own untrained strength levels suck big time, especially when it comes to grip stuff; in comparison to most men I have small hands and extremely thin wrists. I´d like, as a first goal, to do things an average man couldn´t do gripwise.