Hand Pain During Exercise?

Seiji

Hello, I've got a quick question about crushing grips. I got the Ivanko Super Gripper mailed to me the other day, and I of course wanted to test my grip strength (as there are charts telling what levels are how many pounds). When I do either near my max or somewhere near reps of 20, my hand hurts. With the endurance, I could go on, my muscles are not fatigued, but my hand is just dying. I assume I'm just not used to the stress of crushing (my fingers are fine, the support against my hand is what hurts). Also, I haven't gotten around to padding it yet. As a "functional bro" I might not do it and just rest/train through this barrier so that I won't get pain when I actually need a powerful grip on something. Anything specific that could help me?

I would guess your hands just have to get used to the stress of the gripper. It takes time.

You must get used to it first. Don't start too hard! My knuckles were hurting when I started too but it went away after I got used to grippers. Try 3 sets of 6-8 reps, 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of months and then jump to 3-5 reps and 1-3 reps afterwards.

Gradually work into going heavy. I spent a couple weeks just using a lighter gripper doing 3 sets of 5-7 reps before I even tested myself so I could get my hands accustomed to the exercise. I had little pains here and there in all different areas of my hands and fingers until they toughened up to working grippers.