My 1st Bending Video

PITTisKING

My first video bending steel. Couple nails, couple steel pieces, and a bolt.

Leather padding 1 1/4" thick when rolled up.

1. Easy Nail

2. 40d Nail

3. 5"x1/4" CRS

4. 60d Nail

5. 6"x1/4" Grade 5 Bolt

6. Attempt at 7"x5/16" Steel

That’s tough to bend the way you do. All wrist strength. With big arms its tough to get into a DO position under the chin.

You got some strong wrists man.

So I'm bending a tough way?

That's good to know I guess, Maybe it'll get easier if I can get the technique down? I've been bending 4 and 1/2 months, I've been making pretty good progress I'd say, when I started I couldn't bend the 40d nail. I can definitely tell my grip and wrists have gotten stronger. I train grip/forearm stuff anyway, but when I started bending it was killing my wrists, now it doesn't bother them. I'm gonna try to focus more on the technique in May, I got 2 strongman contests in April that I'm focusing on now, just bending occasionally for the fun of it, it's quite addicting.

Yeah I can't quite get it bending up under my chin, it's because of my arms?

I figured it was a flexibility issue, but my arms are 23.5" biceps, and 16" forearms, so that could be the issue?

I've got pet rats too. I find that they are usually willing to act impressed if I give them food in return :laugh

That's cool lol, what kind are they? I got 2 male blue dumbo rats. They're impressed everytime I walk into the room, cause they know I'm going to feed them while I'm in there lol. They're huge, I'm say about 18" from head to the tips of their tails. These are the first 2 rats I've ever had and they are pretty cool pets I must say. They're brothers out of the same litter and almost 2 years old now.

That's cool lol, what kind are they? I got 2 male blue dumbo rats. They're impressed everytime I walk into the room, cause they know I'm going to feed them while I'm in there lol. They're huge, I'm say about 18" from head to the tips of their tails. These are the first 2 rats I've ever had and they are pretty cool pets I must say. They're brothers out of the same litter and almost 2 years old now.

I don't know what kind they are. But I measured one of them to be 17" long. They're both girls, sisters, and are suppose to be a little smaller than they're male counterpart.

Very cool pets

So I'm bending a tough way?

That's good to know I guess, Maybe it'll get easier if I can get the technique down? I've been bending 4 and 1/2 months, I've been making pretty good progress I'd say, when I started I couldn't bend the 40d nail. I can definitely tell my grip and wrists have gotten stronger. I train grip/forearm stuff anyway, but when I started bending it was killing my wrists, now it doesn't bother them. I'm gonna try to focus more on the technique in May, I got 2 strongman contests in April that I'm focusing on now, just bending occasionally for the fun of it, it's quite addicting.

Yeah I can't quite get it bending up under my chin, it's because of my arms?

I figured it was a flexibility issue, but my arms are 23.5" biceps, and 16" forearms, so that could be the issue?

I am no expert on bending. Im new in fact but I have had some expert advise at the cactus shoot grip contest. I could not get it right under my chin so they showed me the reverse (terminator style) I was able to kink it that way then finish it under the chin. Flexibility was my shortcoming. Also my arm size was a bit of an issue and mine are smaller than yours i think (17"). I did get a feel of the benefit of double overhand. The chin stabilizes the bend and you throw your elbows out in front and you can bend without as much stress on the wrists. It is very technique orientated. Strength is important for sure but technique is huge too.

I got a 6" G5 bolt but it really hit my wrist an left thumb pad using reverse. I was told to use a broom stick and work on flexibility to get into proper form. I know I can do it because the guy telling me this was way bigger than me and he could do it. I think You can do it to. If you got into the right position and had some technique tips (from someone with real experience Not me) you could bent a red nail in a few seconds.

I just noticed you put in your arm size. Ya that will be an issue for you. Might have to try Terminator style (try to look it up). Have you noticed that some of the best benders are not really huge just solid lean muscle. I think they have an advantage. You are doing well with raw strength though.

Edited by RichAZ

Luckily i got a friend who's really good at bending, he's a certified red nail bender and bastard if I remember correctly. And yeah he's less than half my size. I'm planning on setting up a day with him after these contests, so he can give me some tips and help me with my technique. I just don't want to hurt my hand/wrist right before a contest, I got one in 8 days and the other in 29 days.

I looked up the Terminator Style, I haven't tried that, Thanks. I'll have to give it a shot the next time I bend, probably be in a couple weeks, or I might wait until may. I've done some double underhand bending, with moderate success, I can bend some, but not as much as double overhand, I'm not sure what the biggest one I did double underhand was.

Also my friend is looking for me some horseshoes, so I can try them as well.

I have noticed a size difference between me and most benders i see, but there's normally a size difference between me and anybody else I see lol. I'm 6'1" and over 400lbs. 62"Chest, 52" waist, 35" quads etc... So I didn't really pay that much attention to it. So yeah maybe there's an advantage to being leaner and solid. I'm currently trying to get leaner, I've lost a lot of body fat, but I think I'll still have big arms if I lose more body fat. Since last year, I've lost 5 inches off my waist, but I've gained about 20lbs, put 2" on my chest and 1 1/2" on my biceps.

My overall goals are more for wrestling and strongman stuff. Bending just fascinated me though when I saw smaller guys bending nails/wrenches/bolts/steel pieces, and I had to give it a try to see how far I can go with it. It's way more addicting than I thought it would be, and it's given me another "feat of strength" I can do/train with.

Thanks for the tips.

Edited by PITTisKING