How Do You Make Blobs Or Block Weights

leatz1jd

Looking into making my first blob or block weight. I know that you buy a dubmbbell and saw off the ends. Just wondering what kind of saw to use or if I could just pound the ends off with a sledge hammer. Also how to smooth weight after I have it separated from the shaft. If people could tell me how they made theirs that would be great.

you could use a hack saw but it gets to be a pain... you could also use a sawsall, grinder or chop saw as long as they are metal blades... also to smooth out the metal use a buffer disc on the grinder... i just made my first block wieght yesterday using a hacksaw i got more of a grip workout doiung that then the actual blockwieght haha

you could use a hack saw but it gets to be a pain... you could also use a sawsall, grinder or chop saw as long as they are metal blades... also to smooth out the metal use a buffer disc on the grinder... i just made my first block wieght yesterday using a hacksaw i got more of a grip workout doiung that then the actual blockwieght haha

Thanks I may just try those.

Never thought that a hack saw would work at cutting through the handdle

Get a brand new hacksaw blade! it will be tough but it can be done. If you think you may be doing a lot of cutting steel buy a metal chop saw. You will need a good file or grinder as Burns said to smooth out your cut. Good luck!

Get a brand new hacksaw blade! it will be tough but it can be done. If you think you may be doing a lot of cutting steel buy a metal chop saw. You will need a good file or grinder as Burns said to smooth out your cut. Good luck!

I used an angle grinder to make my block weights. I have no problem cutting into hex head dumbbells. For some reason I can't seem to find it in me to cut up old York dumbbells. I just bought a Blob50, which is easier then finding a set of 100lb roundheads.

• 2 months later...

I'm also looking to make some block weights after reading Brookfield's Mastery of Hand Strength.

He recommends using York dumbells as the shape he thinks gives the best challenge. Had a look around & not sure which ones these are. Would these be the 'York Legacy' dumbells?

The york dumbells he suggests are no longer made or sold. You might get lucky finding them used, or can typically find blobs of various sizes for sale over time through the members here.

The head of a hex dumbbell works too.

The york legacy dumbbells are generally regarded as only "ok", not like the original york dumbbells.

I've been looking around for blobs but here in Holland heavy dumbells are VERY expensive...buying one dumbell for around € 150,- and then sawing it to pieces...pffff..

to expensive,.

Looking into making my first blob or block weight. I know that you buy a dubmbbell and saw off the ends. Just wondering what kind of saw to use or if I could just pound the ends off with a sledge hammer. Also how to smooth weight after I have it separated from the shaft. If people could tell me how they made theirs that would be great.

You can get an angle grinder for under $30, it will do both the cutting and the smoothing in seconds.

And I dare promise you will find a lot of other uses for it as well.