Rounding Sharp Sides Of Plates For Pinch

austinslater

Currently using some wide plates for a 2HP setup and was wondering if anyone has had any luck rounding out the edges? My plate setup tears up the hands quite a bit. Thanks in advance guys

Austin

Im not exactly sure if it will help- my hex weight will tear my thumbs just as much as plates and the edges are at like a 45 degree angle. I saw a video that Jedd made about gripping differently to prevent tears but I haven't tried out his technique yet. Maybe he will chime in here.

I used and angle grinder to take the sharpness off my edges. made a huge difference in how much I could train.

Actually two issues here - the sharp edges and the width itself. Even fairly sharp edges won't cut much if you don't have your skin stretched out over them at your correct pinch width. Round the edges down with something but be aware that if you stretch your skin tight enough over even a rounded edges - it will tear or cut eventually.

Good ol bastard file

That's what I used too.

Actually two issues here - the sharp edges and the width itself. Even fairly sharp edges won't cut much if you don't have your skin stretched out over them at your correct pinch width. Round the edges down with something but be aware that if you stretch your skin tight enough over even a rounded edges - it will tear or cut eventually.

This is really interesting. I think I'm pinching too wide.

Good ol bastard file

That's what I used too.

Are you still using 2 plates or have you built an adjustable now? I haven't seen a new 2HP vid from you in quite a while :whistel

I used a sanding wheel on my grinder! my 45's were way too sharp,for 2hp.

Edited by pexter

Good ol bastard file

That's what I used too.

Are you still using 2 plates or have you built an adjustable now? I haven't seen a new 2HP vid from you in quite a while :whistel

2x35s. They are roughly 58mm. I'd be surprised if I am supposed to be pinching narrower than that.... :unsure

What are the Euro 2HP width options...?

Also, I have never done the measurement on my hand because I don't understand how that works. Measure from the thumb knuckle across the thumb web to the index finger or something... :help

Also, I have never done the measurement on my hand because I don't understand how that works. Measure from the thumb knuckle across the thumb web to the index finger or something... :help

David Horne has some info on hand measurements. As far as the Euro, the North American one can be any combination but as a minimum including 2 x 1/4" plates on the outside than any combinations of thickness' by inserting 1/4" and 3/8" rubber inserts. Most common I think is 48 mm and 54 mm overall.

David Horne has some info on hand measurements. As far as the Euro, the North American one can be any combination but as a minimum including 2 x 1/4" plates on the outside than any combinations of thickness' by inserting 1/4" and 3/8" rubber inserts. Most common I think is 48 mm and 54 mm overall.

Awesome. I don't know why I've never realized this before! I thought people pinched in the 60-70mm range :rolleyes

I'm probably measuring wrong, but I get roughly 1.75" on my hand. Which is just under 48mm. I bet it would do well at 48mm or even slightly thinner if possible. I need to find a way to experiment with this. :shifty

Also, what is the diameter of the steel discs? They are really 1/4" thick each...?

(Sorry guys, I'm sure this info is out there, but I barely have the energy to type today :sick: )

Also, what is the diameter of the steel discs? They are really 1/4" thick each...?

(Sorry guys, I'm sure this info is out there, but I barely have the energy to type today :sick: )

No problem. Yep 1/4" plate. The Euro is 400mm diameter and the NA version is 16". If you look through my pics I have some close-ups.

Currently using some wide plates for a 2HP setup and was wondering if anyone has had any luck rounding out the edges? My plate setup tears up the hands quite a bit. Thanks in advance guys

Austin

Good question, I was working with my plates and tore some skin :whistel

Thanks so much Jason.

:shifty

I just uploaded some more pics for ya bud!

No problem. Yep 1/4" plate. The Euro is 400mm diameter and the NA version is 16". If you look through my pics I have some close-ups.

So is the max plate you can load a 25?

I don't understand the question.

When most people do the 2HP - they lean or tilt the plates forward some during the setup to lift. While you could of course use 35s and get a very small tilt or 45s and get zero tilt - it has become common practice to use no plates larger than 25s in a competition setting so the tilt can be done for those who choose to do so.

the euro is about the same size as a 45# plate. for competition though the largest plate you would use is a 25#. this is so that the hands are visible(not hidden behind the plates) and so that the lifter can apply "tilt" if they choose.

Ya, now I understand what you were asking. Thanks Chris and Brent.

I may have to smooth my 45s a bit as I tore off a big hunk of skin off my left thumb doing one-hand pinch yesterday.